Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Heidi

Potential lower unit problem

4 posts in this topic

A "friend of mine" drained the lower unit gear oil in his

1980 50HP Johnson motor last fall. My "friend" put about 10 hours on it this summer. My "friend" went to change the oil Sat. and to his surprise, the lower screw was loose and about a half cup of lake water drained out. My "friend" never went back to finish the job and forgot to replace the lower unit fluid. "He" said the motor ran fine this summer.

I, I mean my "friend", put new fluid in this weekend, but is worried about the lower unit rusting or giving out. Any ideas on what could be done now, or does my "freind" just hope for the best. Thanks for the replies.

If you jusdt used it 10 hours it shouldn't be a problem, but rust would be a concern.

Since water is heavier than oil it will sit on bottom, you have approx 1/4" of room before touching bearings or propshaft. If motor was sitting upright it shosul be no concerm, if it was tilted it could be a concern, but only time will tell.

If I was you I would just replace lube completely, run motor on muffs, shift it in gear (BE CAREFUL) and run it for a while to be sure all the oil has coated the exposed parts.

That's it. I don't think you (your friend) did any damage, and if you did only time will tell. The alternative is not pretty, a rebuilt lower unit will cost more than motor is worth.

You are the best Valv! I will give it a whirl and cross my fingers

Thanks, now if I could just read what I wrote and correct spelling..... frown.gif

Sometimes I'm too much in a hurry.