• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Another good spot to smack some real nice Eyes is right where the Red Lake River runs into the Red. Just below that rock dam on the Red Lake River and out into the Red in the cross current. Jigs and minnows or cranks.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scoot

• Catmendo

• Ed Carlson

• hadanooner

Any reports from up north? Heading to Pinefalls on Wednesday for 4 days of fishing. Just wondering how everything is going up there. Sounds like the water is down some on the Winnipeg, but with the change in weather has it gotten any better?

Quote:

Any reports from up north? Heading to Pinefalls on Wednesday for 4 days of fishing. Just wondering how everything is going up there. Sounds like the water is down some on the Winnipeg, but with the change in weather has it gotten any better?

Water levels on the Winnipeg is not the issue, flow rates or lack thereof is! What this simply means is there's next to no flow being released on the Winnipeg River, when there's no flow there's nothing to attract fish in off the lake.

The Run on the Red has been fantastic so far! The reason, unlike the Winnipeg, the Red has just enough flow to attract fish into the river, it's as simple as that. So for those who made plans to fish Pine Falls, not this year! On the other hand for those who were fortunate enough to focus on the Red.......good choice!

Uf-Da...Stu is on the mark as always. The reports and pics I have seen from the Red over the last week or so is nothing short of increadable. When 2 anglers boat 12 over 10 in 2 days, that just ain't to darn shabby...Eh.

Plus...there has been eye's in the 14 lb range caught this fall, sumo Greenbacks.

Ya just got to wonder....just how good will this ice season be? I got Goosebumps just thinking on that...Ya...color me there..Eh!!

Yes sir...my New Frabill is on the way and it will be headed North when the ice is good.

Why wait for ice??? there is lots of time before it freezes over. Even though the wind was unbelievable on Sat both Brad and I boated a 28"er, Brads was over 10, just a fat pig.

Lots of time left before we put the boats away.

Ed, you really should take a few days off and head up here1 I could use an extra rod or two out on Lake Winnipeg! My plan is to spend four, maybe five days up at Riverton and map as much of the north west portion of the lake in preparation for the hard water season. It won't cost you anything other than some time off work, are you in?

Ya know, you guys are kill'n me here...ya know that..don't ya Eh!

Sounds like fun but the next oppertunity I got to run North looks to me to be snowball weather. I have a long weekend in the near future...now if the weather holds is the deal.

I am up for a run just getting time off is the darn deal.

Man oh man.. I want to get up there soooooooooooo bad... If the RP does not sell I might be able to head up maybe this sunday or next sunday for some action. How does your schedule look Canuck & Stu? I am off the 19th - 23rd and 28th - 31. Hope the boat sells but then again not quite yet LOL..

Rusty, my schedule is very flexible at this time. I have an invite to head into George Lake for some lakers and pike on Saturday, "If" I accept the invite I'll stay in there for four or five days. The private lodge on George is run by a great group of guys and it would be hard for me to pass this one up! Other than that, we would love to have you come up this way!

I am supposed to be off muzzle hunting right now but had to stay home for a few chores to get done. As the weather was unbelievable and Stu needed a guide this afternoon I was FORCED to hit the red. The 3 clients boated approx. 60 sauger and smaller greenies but the best part was one guy boated a 28 and 28 1/2" about 20 minutes apart. These 2 were hogs in the neighbourhood of 12 to 13 lbs.

I am forced to hit the Red tomorrow because the weather is supposed to be +11C and then I had better head off muzzle, what to do, what to do, what to do, what to do.........

Ah...Geez...It's a tough job Jim...but somebody has to do it. smirk.gif

FYI..Eh: I have a new Frabill ice shack on the way for 2006-07. Nut'n fancy, just a GT Fortress package, ya may have herd of it Jim. HA! These shacks are really the cats whiskers..Uf-Da! Eat your heart out Canuck! tongue.gif

I'll be up when it's hard and we can do a "International Team Frabill" piggy hunt, how does that sound guys?

Ed,

I haven't upgraded to a Frabill yet (that'll be my next house), but do you suppose a lowely Polar Sport owner could sneak in with you high rollin' Frabill owners? When you're going up let me know, Ed, maybe we can carpool. I'll be headed up there a couple times this winter (I hope).

Scoot:

Don't suppose an Otter guy can be seen with you....Count me in,lets get it put together when the time comes. I know a couple other hombres as you do that are interested as well.

I will just set up far enough away as to not be a stigma. grin.gif

Sounds good, WG. With our Otter and Polar we'll be like warts on the face of a purdy gal! Hear that Ed and Stu, you two are the purdy ones! I suppose you're used to hearing that though...

Even as warts we might be able to tie into a greenie or two.

Stu, has your place filled up for winter fishing already? Or, do you have lots of opening still? For those who haven't stayed at Stu's in the wintertime, it's a really great place. It's the perfect spot for a decent sized group of guys who want to fish and knock back a few drinks of choice at night too. A perfect vacation for the boys. If we get a group of us together I'll definitely be staying at Stu's-- can't beat it! Or... are you all booked up through the end of Jan already???

Ya..welllllllll.....OK Scoot you can tag along too.

A comparison always makes the brightest star shine even brighter. LOL!

grin.gif

Yeah, you gol dang scallywag- last time I remember fishing cats with you on the Sheyenne, you shined awefully bright and I looked pretty dim. Funny, I seem to remember a similar scenerio fishing walleyes on the Red South of town last fall. I also remember the same story from reports at other spots in the past.

Yep, fish with me-- you'll shine like a new pair of shoes!!!

ed do you have any frabils in now? I am looking for a new setup, and if there's room nooner is always in when the words are"chasing sumo greenbacks" give me a shout this week. (Contact Us Please) I'm so excited i may just stop in tonight. Nooner

Scoot let me know when you are planning to head that way. I would like to get up there a 2 or 3 times this winter. We are kind of thinking of making a run up there the weekend after thanksgiving. Assuming there is decent ice which I would think there would be.

Nooner we have the GT Magnums in and the new Trekkers in. We should have the Fortress and the Prowlers in soon, maybe this week. We have 2 Triplex's left, out of the 12 I had last week. They will be very hard to find very soon.

The GT Fortress package has everything in it, from hitch to cover including hyfaxs.

We have all the tweeks for the Magnums in house right now.

Also have the new Clams in. I see a lot of good stuff in the X Trap, it's a good 2-man pull'r shack.

Still waiting on the Otter shacks to show. They should pour in soon too.

On the ice thing. I have been on the Red on the 10th December but one can never tell for sure. To be safe I would look at a wk later, say the 17th. I know last year the 24th December was plenty of ice to even drive on the river.

It is really hard to say but we will keep U posted as to the formation of ice etc.

I put my boat to bed yesterday and it was hard but one has to get out after those jumpers before muzzle ends and then there is always the hard season.

On thursday we got a 26 and 25 and several in the 18 to 22 range with it also being sauger city. I did see 3 29s come in very close to where we were sitting. I am sure they will be there for the hard season at least Dec and Jan.

Jason,

Got ya. Not sure when it'll come together, but I'll give ya a shout if/when it does.

Ed, anything happening on the rivers locally? I haven't been out for a couple weeks now (been chasing deer with my stick and string).

Yup Scoot...the walleye bite here has been good in general. Those big Creek Chubbs are hot right now. Cats are still chowing on them live creeks too.

Bigger Fatheads are doing well rigged on pink/white glow jigs both slow retreaving or on stationary floating jigs.

Whites for plactics are a good bet but the bubblegum colors are going ok too.

Cranks...slow for me so far..and that is odd for this time of year. The walleye are eating big prey. I cleaned a couple 3# eyes and they had 7-8" drum in both of them. White bass are on the menue too for the marbleye's. So the 6-7" creeks are a snack to a hog-eye right now.

Snow and cool on the way may slow things to a bait on the bottom only bite, hard to say?

Guys, here's my take on "when" the ice conditions are going to be favorable to access. "Providing" these current cooling trends continue, we "could be" chiseling some holes by the 3rd week of November! This totally depends on whether or not these cooling trends continue. In years past, I have seen the river is this region make safe ice by the 10th of November. When I say "safe" ice, I'm referring to ice that will safely support "foot only" access. Having said that, I have also fished open water as late as the 24th of November!

Once again, it is my educated guess that we are going to be accessing her much sooner than later. For those who are seriously interested......stay tuned! I will give an up-to-date report as soon as I feel it's a green light!

One thing for sure, the action during the first serveral weeks is going to be incredible!

Thanks for the info Stu...

I know last year iffwalleyes and I were up the second weekend in December and there was about 8" of ice.. so I have high hopes for this year...

marine_man

Any updates??? I am looking to get out this weekend again. Been pretty tough going for me lately.

Ed, I may be swinging in to get some more of those chubs too! Still looking for that hogeye!

• 2 weeks later...

The last 3 years, we were up the same time. Sometime between the 7-11 of December. I would think this year should be ok for that same weekend. We'll be up there the 8-11.

No holds bared, I am going to make it up there for sure this winter.. Stu, hope your ready for sudds.