Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
8-Ball

Ash Lake

7 posts in this topic

Hi All- will be fishing this lake/area next late July w/ the family-booked a cabin on Ash( just north of Orr) for a week. Anyone have any info/tips for us-we have three little ones also and want them to get into some panfish,etc. Also, any other area lakes close by worth checking out? No-ones "spot on a spot"-just a little guidance/tips would be greatly appreciated by us and the kids! Thanks, 8-Ball.

C'mon- I am not asking for GPS Co-ordinates, just alittle info.

NEVER FISHED ASH, BUT WE TALKED TO GUYS WITH 45K BASS BOATS HEADED UP THERE WHEN WE WERE ON THE WAY TO CATCH A TON OF CRAPPIES AND WALLEYES ON THE SMALL LAKE THAT WE VISIT. I WOULD THINK THAT WOULD INDICATE SMALLIES ARE REASONABLY ABUNDANT ON ASH.

PELICAN ON THE OTHER HAND USUALLY IS GOOD FOR LARGE NUMBERS OF SMALL PIKE, NICE LARGE AND SMALL MOUTHS, BLUE GILLS AND CRAPPIES AND NOT TOO FAR FROM ASH. JUST LOOK FOR THE BIG ROCKS AND SHALLOW WEEDY BAYS FOR THOSE FISH ON PELICAN.

IF YOU GET BORED OR DONT CATCH MUCH, GIVE ELEPHANT A SHOT FOR CRAPPIES. THEY SHOULD BE GOING WELL THIS TIME OF YEAR AND THAT IS A SMALL LAKE. ALSO A GREAT POPULATION OF WALLEYES IN ELEPHANT. IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT ELEPHANT, POST YOUR EMAIL AND I WILL SEND YOU A MARKED UP MAP IN PDF FORMAT. SINCE YOU MENTIONED LITTLE ONES I WOULD BE MORE THAN WILLING TO TRY AND GET YOU ON A SPOT. I HAVE LITTLE ONES AND IT IS PAINFUL TO SIT FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS WITH THEM IN THE BOAT WHEN THEY ARE NOT CATCHING ANYTHING.

GOOD LUCK UP THERE. PLEASE POST HOW YOU DO.

SF- Thanks for info. We are not going up there until late July '07. I will contact you for updated map around that time. Can't wait..

I would appreciate a report when you return from your tirp. I've driven by Ash for 25 years on the way north and never have stopped there to fish. I always see boats parked on the point located in just about the middle of the lake.

Deep- 10-4, I will. But it will be awhile as we are not going until '07 late July. Anyone else have any info for me on Ash??

I've waited 25 years so another one doesn't matter to me. Check the archives under the Kabetogama index. I recall several past threads on Ash Lake.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• I plan on taking all my ice fishing equipment out of my shed this week I cant wait

• fins_n'_feathers

Posted

any  reports from today? we pounded through the washing machine waves all day and got nothing! Lead core,jigging, spinners haha! Ended up getting all our keepers within a mile of home when it was all over! Who else was out there? Am I the only one that did poor today?

• proguide

Posted

Cool nights and only a few warming hours each day have water temps coming down into the 50s this week.  This is actually pretty normal for the last week of September so there is nothing to odd here. 

The catfish have slowed down over the past few days with this cool off.  They are still around to catch.  They are hanging near structure, usually on the drop off to the channel right next to it.  They are also on the softer side of the current in holes.  It seems that longer sit times are in order this week to allow the fish to come out, find and decide to eat the bait.

Sucker seems to be the bait of choice right now.  Frogs just have not been getting any attention.

• leech~~

Posted

26 minutes ago, DANR said:

From the fall Pelican Lakes Association newsletter - DNR Fisheries Update:

You may have heard about the 454 adult cormorantsthat were removed from Gooseberrry Island this May by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Wildlife Services Unit under a permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.  DNR staff looked at the stomach contents of 30 birds. Eleven of those birds had stomach contents including: 38 perch (mostly 4- inchers), 7 spot-tail shiners, 7 bluegills, 6 crappies, 1 rock bass, 1 pike, and zero walleyes.

Thanks for the Update.  Hopefully they shoot 400 more next spring! :):)

• FishinCT

Posted

They were really slow today. I fished hard all day and didn't manage much. Went over tons of fish and they weren't active at all. Should get better as the weekend gets closer...I hope

• gizmoguy

Posted

Go with steel. Contact Isle supply.

• From the fall Pelican Lakes Association newsletter - DNR Fisheries Update:

You may have heard about the 454 adult cormorantsthat were removed from Gooseberrry Island this May by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Wildlife Services Unit under a permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.  DNR staff looked at the stomach contents of 30 birds. Eleven of those birds had stomach contents including: 38 perch (mostly 4- inchers), 7 spot-tail shiners, 7 bluegills, 6 crappies, 1 rock bass, 1 pike, and zero walleyes. 

• Hello Friends:

Looking for some help as I've been up here since yesterday morning and only two 22" walleyes. I've fished fairly hard (5 or 6 hours) and tried all of my normal spots in Frazer/Smarts/Narrows area using all presentations with minnows and crawlers. Would love to have a walleye dinner (couple of 15's) for my black lab and I tomorrow night and any suggestions would be welcomed.

I'm not looking for spots, but general depth and bait.

Thanks guys

Andy

• delcecchi

Posted

It is great.  I don't know if they are still doing grumpy gary chicken this time of year but it is good.  They have specials on various nights, at least in summer.  

• Sculpin

Posted

Dennis Anderson, Outdoor writer for the Minneapolis Tribune had a nice write up on the duck opener at Pelican. In addition there were some locals quoted on duck hunting there. Sounds like the ducks are back, and they have the water levels well under control.

• ZachD
      I plan on taking all my ice fishing equipment out of my shed this week I cant wait
    • fins_n'_feathers
      any  reports from today? we pounded through the washing machine waves all day and got nothing! Lead core,jigging, spinners haha! Ended up getting all our keepers within a mile of home when it was all over! Who else was out there? Am I the only one that did poor today?
    • proguide
      Cool nights and only a few warming hours each day have water temps coming down into the 50s this week.  This is actually pretty normal for the last week of September so there is nothing to odd here. 
        The catfish have slowed down over the past few days with this cool off.  They are still around to catch.  They are hanging near structure, usually on the drop off to the channel right next to it.  They are also on the softer side of the current in holes.  It seems that longer sit times are in order this week to allow the fish to come out, find and decide to eat the bait.
        Sucker seems to be the bait of choice right now.  Frogs just have not been getting any attention.
    • leech~~
      Thanks for the Update.  Hopefully they shoot 400 more next spring!
    • FishinCT
      They were really slow today. I fished hard all day and didn't manage much. Went over tons of fish and they weren't active at all. Should get better as the weekend gets closer...I hope