• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Twins DEFENSE

SledNeck

Morneau

Castillo

Bartlett

Punto

or

Mientkiewicz

Rivas

Guzman

Koskie

I'll take our guys now.Plus these dudes can HIT!

What an infield WHAT AN infield!

Punto is definately a gold glover atleast in the eyes of people that watch him play everyday.

Bartlett is very solid for his MLB experience level.

Castillo is Castillo GG calibur as always.

Morneau has become a better fielding firstbaseman than anyone could have ever predicted. Doug who?

I agree- not much comparison when you stack up the "O" our current infield is putting up to go along w/ the outstanding "D" we have seen this Summer. They are a treat to watch, no doubt.

I disagree on your take on Morneau-he has come a long way this season in his "D" at first. Is making the majority of the tough plays at first. He has gone from below average at 1st to above, IMO.

Justin is actually an above average first baseman statistically. I'll agree his range is poor, but he makes the plays he's supposed to, all the while leading the team in almost every offensive category. Dougie was good in the field, no doubt a gold glover. His bat was/is the worst in the league as far as first baseman go.

Castillo > Rivas = This one's not even close offensively and defensively.

Bartlett = Guzman = I would say in his prime Guzie might have been better defensively. Offensively, Bartlett gets on base, which is more than you can say for Guzman.

Koskie > Punto = In his prime, defensively, Koskie was as good as they come. Punto in my eyes at least is a gold glover this year. INCREDIBLE defensive 3B. Offensively, Koskie hit for power, with a great OBP. Punto gets on base and scores runs.

That first run of division title winner infielders was a tight nit and great group of infielders. However, this new young group is better as a team. They can all hit also which is a huge plus. You have 3 great table setters, and an offensive RBI machine in their now.

Anyone who thinks Morneau isnt an above avg. 1st baseman as far as compared to everyday 1st basemen around the majors, then they are smokin some serious bulbs.

For his age and experience I guess he's OK, but as a major league first basemen he's near the bottom I would say slightly ahead of Ortiz and Thome... smirk.gif

No range whatsoever and the worst in the league at scooping throws out of the dirt he just looks real awkward to me ....of course his bat more than makes up for his defensive deficiency..... grin.gif

In 142 games and over 1,300 chances, Morneau has 8 errors. I've seen him scoop plenty of errant throws, too. He may not be Don Mattingly out there with a glove, but he's not a hack, either.

Quote:

For his age and experience I guess he's OK, but as a major league first basemen he's near the bottom I would say slightly ahead of Ortiz and Thome...
smirk.gif

I will also have to disagree with you. I think he is actually average to above average. Gardy saying he could win a gold glove is a bit off the mark, but he is pretty solid over there.

I believe you call him a Chicago Cubbie. Lord Please forgive me!!!Morneau can play on my team any day!!!!!!! He will only get better!!!! Average HMMM

Yep, Pier-lets agree to disagree. He makes most of the scoops at 1st. Right now, with his bat and above average "D", I would take him over any other 1st in the A.L.. His range is somewhat limited, but he is indeed above average, me boy.

Quote:

I would take him over any other 1st in the A.L..

So would I, his bat covers whatever defensive skills I believe he lacks..... I thought the title of thread said Twins Defense......

A little more cut and paste:

Twins' bullpen deserves 'A' gradeposted: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 | Feedback | Print Entry

The Twins' magic number for clinching a playoff spot is down to eight, and if they make it, their relievers will have played a major role. The Twins' rank first in the majors in bullpen ERA, at 3.03, and are tied for seventh in victories, with 24.

And despite Minnesota's reliance on its bullpen, the Twins' relievers should go into the offseason relatively fresh, with each having contributed a relatively modest number of appearances and innings. Among the four teams that would be playoff-bound, as of today, their bullpen might be the best, but also the most rested.

Beyond the statistics compiled through game use, the Twins' coaching staff tracks the number of times that each reliever gets up in the bullpen. Some teams track the number of pitches thrown in bullpen sessions, but Twins pitching coach Rick Anderson does not; he does make a note of the level of intensity required in the bullpen session, and during an appearance in a game.

• 3 weeks later...

What was the deal with Morneau's error? 2-outs before the error and another 4-runs get scored? That hurt big time. 12-hits for the team and only 3 runs. Pretty sad showing.

im a huge twins fan but it would of been better off to see the royals play against oakland!

Good one. Rip on the guy who carried us to the playoffs. I don't think he cost us the game. Without him we wouldn't have made it to the playoffs. Twins played like a young ball team, too many mistakes. I like our chances for the next few years. If only we could find a good first baseman. laugh.gif

Gotta love how Morneau has one bad game and now he is a terrible fielder and it is all his fault. Without him we would have been fighting with the Indians and Royals in the basement. The whole club is young and gaining experience. I think they will be contenders for the next 4-5 years with this group of guys. You can't knock what Morneau and the rest of the team did just to make the playoffs. Everybody has a few bad games, too bad they had theirs when it mattered most.