• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

GPS cautionary tale ----007 NOT

ecf3f200.jpg

This photo was recently published in the Voyageur Sentinel. I don't have first hand info, but victim was intensely studying his GPS when he grounded (bouldered!). Rescuer is 91 year old local fixture/ guide using old time ingenuity to rescue someone from apparant new fangled hi tech misunderstanding/ overreliance. Maybe someone with first hand knowledge can fill in the blanks.

Don't know about the incident, but the guide's name is Vern Oveson (sp?). He's been guideing on Kab. and Nam. since he was a teenager. Guided with him on some big groups... knows a lot of stories and is a great person. His son (Rick) runs Kettle Falls Hotel...

Looks like the rock pile on the north shore in front of where Bronco Nagurski had his cabin.

I hope no one thinks I put this up to make fun of the rescuee. I thought it was an interesting story in light of who the rescuer was, as well as a good lesson to myself to always keep track to what is happening around the boat. Instruments including gps and depth finder are secondary and shouldn't distract from that. I've made enough mistakes in my time to know not to gloat here, this fellow just happens to be on a pretty steep learning curve........Let me tell you sometime about the time I set off across the lake duck hunting without putting the plug in my boat, then kept fiddling with the mixture control when the boat ran slower and slower. Didn't feel the water rising around my waders until the boat was getting pretty heavy!!!! blush.gif

We were out on the lake on labor day weekend heading East toward the red and green buoys near (I think deer point island) and some people in a $50K type runabout were following us real close then when I looked back they ran right around us (show offs!)and proceeded to go to the left and outside of the buoys. Well their boat caught some good air after it apparently hit the rocks in the 2 feet or less of water and they came to an abrupt hault. Now I didnt laugh outloud, but I sure wondered what would possess people to not stay inbetween the red and green when everyboat in the area is going through them. I would propose a basic water navigation test to be taken and passed with boat registration purchase but then that might be cutting in to the prop and lower unit repair profits.

That's a bad spot Sled. If I remember right there is one white rock buoy there, but if you go in there it is a huge area littered with rocks. Good for the fish, good for the marine repair business, bad for someone who thinks every rock is marked!

well, you have red and green then a line of white buoys going off that way, it doesnt take much to realize that its a navigation hazard. Tons of big Pike around there I discovered, even with the high traffic.

What does the word Kabetogama mean? We had a cabin up there in the 70's and someone once told me but I forgot. I have met vern. he never held a steady job but worked all his life. Timber, trapping , guiding....the good life.

Kabetogama - I have been told by a local historian that the Indians named the lake and it stands for "Rough Water".

I believe it means "rough water" ....and Namakan by the way means "sturgeon" as named by the indians native to the area dating back many years....at least that's what I've been told (or may have read) many years back.