Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kyle Sandberg

Turnover

12 posts in this topic

Have any lakes turned over or are any close. I'd imagine some of the smaller lakes would be with the colder weather heading our way. Get ready. grin.gif

I have found the most lake turnover around 60-58 degrees. Much of it is dependent on summer temps and how cool the water is getting. We may be getting very close, on some really small lakes. This time of year i'll fish the bigger lakes, looking at the smaller ones from time to time, because they turn over later.

Pulaski is turning over right now. Water is 53-54 deg., it was 56 on Wednesday. Buffalo water temp today was 46 deg.

As of last tuesday, Cedar Lake was in the process of turning over. I was back out there today and according to my fish finder the surface temp. was 50.5 degrees.

Was out on twin today, Temp 51.3

Pulaski was 53 on sunday evening. I was fishing and chatting with another gentleman. He caught a 35" pike the largest I have seen come from pulaski. It's to bad the city pulled the dock out so soon. The lake will not freeze another month.

Exactly how do you all define turnover? Technically, it is when the water on the top "layer" becomes more dense than the layers underneath. Well water is most dense @ 39°F (known physical properties of water) and not 58-60.... Just wondering. confused.gifconfused.gif

Smallie-h, that is true water is most dense at 39. But the bottom of a lake may warm to 50-60 degrees, than when the surface temps match that of the bottom, you get turn-over. Some lakes don't get a thermocline (ie Mille lacs) the bottom may be cooler than the surface but it still has a good oxygen at the bottom. Pulaski has very little oxygen below 35ft in august. I checked water temps in august was 55degres at 44ft, I could not check lower than that for now. I just purchased a temp recorder, you attach to a fishing line a lower to the bottom, it is to show the temp every 5 ft will be interesting to see what the temp is at 80 ft.

Post deleted by Augusta

I was pulaski friday, the surface temp there was 50 degrees. If that would say any about clearwater, would figure it could be colder. That Clearwater is not as deep as Pulaski. I plan on going to clearwater either today or sunday.

Pulaski did turnover on monday. When I drove to check surface temp. the lake smelled of rotten eggs. Just I was told to watch (smell) for. Today's surf temp. 48 degrees

Buffalo, surface temp 45 degrees

Clearwater, surface temp 45 degrees

Time to hit the fall post turnover lakes.

Anybody have any reports from CLearwater? Hope to go out tomorrow afternoon to chase a few walleyes. Any help would be appreciated.