Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
seekingwalleye

05 mercury 115 4 stroke

seekingwalleye

motor wouldn't piss for me last weekend.. I brought it home and flushed it out on the driveway. .and tried cleaning out the pee hole.. no luck.. Dealer says it might be the water pump.. which is not under warranty!! I bought the boat new this summer..so it does not have many hours on it.. anyone with any info.. could I replace it myself.? they want 150-200 to replace it!.. i bought a new boat for a reason..so you can imagine how i feel at this point. thanks

Valv

I agree with dealer, sound like water pump impeller to me.

It could have been many factors involved, you could have ran motor dry, sucked up some sand and chewed impeller, or other causes.

Not because motor is new is exempt from problems. Water pump is always out of warranty with any manufacturer, I would suggest have it serviced it, it's only $ 200 but will save the life of the motor. If you don't replace it it will overheat then the repair bill will be 300 times more expensive and warranty will not cover it also.

I know you didn't expect this, but it is not motor or dealer fault it did happen, probably neither yours, but it has to be repaired.

klw

Had the exact same thing happen to me just a couple of weeks ago. With all of the low water at the landings it is easy to suck some sand into the motor if you are not careful. I had it repaired at a dealer, It was an impellor and it cost me $208.00. I am pretty sure that it is something you could do yourself.... they did it while I waited and it was completed in 45 minutes.

OptiMax

Quote:

I agree with dealer, sound like water pump impeller to me.

It could have been many factors involved, you could have ran motor dry, sucked up some sand and chewed impeller, or other causes.

Not because motor is new is exempt from problems. Water pump is always out of warranty with any manufacturer, I would suggest have it serviced it, it's only $ 200 but will save the life of the motor. If you don't replace it it will overheat then the repair bill will be
300 times
more expensive and warranty will not cover it also.

I know you didn't expect this, but it is not motor or dealer fault it did happen, probably neither yours, but it has to be repaired.

Wow, a $60,000 repair bill!

Valv

Quote:

Wow, a $60,000 repair bill!

You know inflation has a lot to do with this.... grin.gif

Sorry I meant 30 times or $ 6,000 wink.gif

Retro Active

I just changed the impeller on a 125 Merc today, and it was very, very easy. If you can change your own spark plugs, you can probably change your impeller.

Basically I just tilted the motor up, loosend (not removed) the 5 nuts holding on the lower unit (there was one right above the prop on my motor), and then used a rubber mallet and block of wood to knock down the LU (don't pound too hard, but it may take a little while). Then it's just a matter of taking off the nuts, pulling the LU out (make sure motor is tilted way up), taking off the four bolts that hold on the cover for the water pump, and replacing the impeller. The impeller slides right onto the drive shaft and is held on by a small key that fits inside the middle and keeps it aligned properly. Installation is the exact opposite.

If you decide to do this yourself, it helps to have two people. The trickiest part about reassembly is turning the fly-wheel very slowly when inserting the LU so that the shaft lines up correctly.

If your motor is at all like mine, it might take you 1 hour (depending on your mechanical skills) to get this done.

And don't forget that you can probably get a book at your local library to assist as well.

seekingwalleye

thanks guys for the reply..i might try it myself.. sounds easy enough.. i talked to mercury today and because the impeller is a maintiance item, i will not void any kind of warranty by doing it my self.. thanks. i will give it a shot..

eurolarva

The vanes on an impeller are slightly larger then the water pump. The vanes need to go the correct direction. The best way to do this is to find out which direction your motor spins. Probably clockwise. Dab the impeller vanes with some dish soap and place it on the impeller key then put the pump over it. Slowly turn the drive shaft clockwise while putting firm pressure down on the impeller till it seats. This will insure the vanes are turned the correct direction.

seekingwalleye

all went good, but i can't seem to get the lower unit on all the way.. i was turning the drive shaft and then it went up onto the bolts but its still a good 1/2" from making contact to where its suppose to be.. i tried everything..and there always is a gap there..

Valv

Be sure you align the splines gear shaft coupler correctly or it will not engage gears, it helps if you put it in reverse when you remove lower unit.

Also check very well the water pickup tube is inserted in water pump and aligned correctly, usually that's where it hangs. Whatever you do DO NOT force up with tools, it will slide up easily or maybe with a little effort but there's no need for tools or you might break something.

Retro Active

Try keeping pressure on the LU while very slowly turning the fly wheel (if you can reach it). This is where mine hung up for just a few minutes, until I got the alignment right. You won't have to turn it much, and turn it very, very, very slowly.

eurolarva

Not familiar with that motor but two things it might be is the water tube is not lined up correctly and the shift linkage is not correct. Some mercs have to be in either forward or reverse to work right. Good luck. Make sure spark plug wires are disconnected and try jiggling the prop both ways while installing it. Might be the splines are still not lined up correctly.

seekingwalleye

it appears the shift link is hangin up.. when i get the lower unit with in a 1/2" or so.. of where its supposed to be.. it looks like the drive shaft is pushing up?? on the linkage.. and thats causing it to bind and not shift as a result.. I think.. thats the only thing i can figure out when looking at it..Im not sure how the drive shaft connects up inside the motor.. so its only a guess..

eurolarva

Log onto iboats and post this in the Merc forum. You will probably get the answer you are looking for in about an hour. My guess is if you turn the drive shaft clockwise while pullin g the shifter up then put the shifter on your boat in forward or reverse you will be able to get it to work out.

Valv

Check your water tube adapter, if you installed it upside down it iwll create same problem.

Turn it 180 deg and you should be able to get it right.