Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PikeBayCommanche

Labs

2 posts in this topic

Need to find out when you will be up the rest of the season. Will be up around OCt. 20th for a week or so. Maybe at the end of the month for a few days. wink.gif

Hey Matt, I may be there this weekend depending on the weather, then I will for sure be there next weekend and the 1st week of Oct. for the Break on the Lake tourney. The weekend of Sept 30th is up in the air, we are deciding if we want to duck hunt up there or out west. The 20th of Oct. may be the weekend I go to NoDak bowhunting... I gotta check, if it's MEA I'll probably be at the cabin with the wife and kids. Let me know if you're gonna be up earlier, or if it's MEA and I'm up, we can meet up then.

Good Luck!

Ken

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• I second the Vermilion Club-great food and they always welcome the dog (black lab) on the deck and give her water. We have been over on major holidays (July 4th, Memorial day, etc) and can always squeeze in somewhere and if not, there's "the kid" who charges $10 for "their dock".....love the place! 

• monstermoose78

Posted

• You are right, it's a grouse.

• BringAnExtension

Posted

I am not a hunter and I live in southern Minnesota, so I don't know how to identify this bird.  It walked into our campsite at Tettegoche State Park last week.  I am thinking a grouse?

20160917_105407.jpg

1 person likes this
    • BringAnExtension

Posted (edited)

I don't have much to report, as I have not been fishing much lately, but wanted to add a topic on our quiet forum.

I finally got a chance to go out on Mazaska this past weekend.  I tried my usual methods with almost no luck.  Fatheads on a jig and under a slip bobber.  From 9 feet down to about 25 feet.  I had a couple of bites, but that was it.

Water temperature was still a balmy 68 degrees and a stiff wind was coming out of the southeast.  Even though I caught nothing, it was a beautiful day to be on the water last Saturday.

One day closer to hard water season ...

Edited by BringAnExtension
    • phillyfacks

Posted

We've got a cabin up on Pelican and I've definitely noticed less cormorants on the lake this summer.  The state did grant the owner of Gooseberry Island a permit to kill cormorants, which was done this Spring.  I talked to a DNR officer on the lake this summer and he said they had shot almost 400 birds, I don't recall the exact numbers but it was somewhere between 350-400. 

• Consider me in on a personal boycott of The Landing. Horrible horrible horrible customer service skills by the owners/management.

1) it is much quieter on the water without the big blasters running up an down the lake from the Landing.

2) Had a craving for wings while out fishing one night. Called ahead ordered up some wings- great taste- tiny crappy wings. Asked for a side of Blue Cheese and Celery - upcharge of like $3.00 for those. Washed it down with a bottle of Coors Light. $23.50

Large group went in one night and they usually tear up the bar. Were told they can't play jukebox until after 10 pm it was 9:40 PM- ONLY GROUP IN THE BAR.  "They are trying to build up an Ambiance"

Got their bar tab and they were done. Yearly group that dropped a lot of cash in the past. Never again until new ownership is on board.

Unfortunately they have deep pockets.

As soon as new ownership / management takes over the crowds will return.

• Big V Bobcat

Posted (edited)

That place is sinking faster than a boat anchor! I couldn't figure out why they were putting in so much money into it, especially since every time I'd drive by at dinner hour, there'd be at best 5 cars parked there. Always a good crowd at the Crescent of course. I don't mind the lack of view...since I'm usually on the lake most of the day already. I remember the days of Judd and Jack, and the place was lively and included the locals. Now it is mostly oblivious resort guests who see it as the only option. Very "pretentious" place that would be better suited in the Brainerd lakes area. My wife's co-worker told her that he was there this summer and they charged him $2 for a glass of water and .75 for mustard (in a stainless steel cup of course). I'd like to check out Wolf Bay, but I need a faster boat first! Don't even get me started on the $7 beers....

Edited by Big V Bobcat
    • OhioVike

Posted

My entire family loves coming up to the lake. We make it part of the routine to stop at the landing at least once per trip.  At the end of the day a few extra bucks per entree is no big deal. Our meals have always been good, service has varied with the crowds which is true everywhere up there.  Run the per pound cost on your walleye catch. The few meals a year you eat there would pale in comparison.  I hope they stay open, it is a fun part of our trips!

• FrazerBay

Posted

Have to agree..food is great..best place in the winter on snowmobile..

but..the dock situation could use a big upgrade.

1 person likes this

• PSU
      I second the Vermilion Club-great food and they always welcome the dog (black lab) on the deck and give her water. We have been over on major holidays (July 4th, Memorial day, etc) and can always squeeze in somewhere and if not, there's "the kid" who charges $10 for "their dock".....love the place! 
    • monstermoose78
      Ruffed grouse
    • DANR
      You are right, it's a grouse.
    • BringAnExtension
      I am not a hunter and I live in southern Minnesota, so I don't know how to identify this bird.  It walked into our campsite at Tettegoche State Park last week.  I am thinking a grouse?
    • BringAnExtension
      I don't have much to report, as I have not been fishing much lately, but wanted to add a topic on our quiet forum. I finally got a chance to go out on Mazaska this past weekend.  I tried my usual methods with almost no luck.  Fatheads on a jig and under a slip bobber.  From 9 feet down to about 25 feet.  I had a couple of bites, but that was it. Water temperature was still a balmy 68 degrees and a stiff wind was coming out of the southeast.  Even though I caught nothing, it was a beautiful day to be on the water last Saturday. One day closer to hard water season ...