• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Scoot Fishing Rainy this Fall?

Scoot just wondering if you are going to be up fishing the Rainy River this October. Cal and I are trying to figure which weekend to come up. If you are going to be up this Fall it would be fun to get together. Let me know!

Dud

Duddly,

Yep, that'd be fun. I will definitely be up at the Rainy this fall. However, I have no idea when at this point. A good guess would be the first weekend of deer hunting- usually the first full weekend of Nov. I also hope to get up there in mid-Oct. to do a muskie trip up in the islands, but a day on the river/lake on the South shore too. However, I also want to hunt pheasant and bowhunt for whitetails, muleys, and antelope. Then there's goose and duck. Also, I can't forget about ruffed grouse. Hmmm... I have no idea when I'll be up there. I will be up there though- I didn't get to fish with my dad much this summer, so I'll be sure to join him for some jigging this fall. When I get some sort of a plan, I'll post here.

Have you and Cal thought about when you're thinking about going?

We are not sure yet but I think the first possible weekend would be Oct 14-15. We are going to try making two weekend trips this Fall so hopefully at least one of those weekends we are up we can get together and jig or have a couple cocktails! I will check this post and let you know when we decide for sure.

That sounds good. Keep me updated and I'll do my best to team up with you guys. I think the weekend you mentioned would be the first one I'd have any chance to go too.

Scratch that Scoot now it looks like the weekend of the 21-22 or 28-29 before we can get up there. Woody is getting married the weekend of the 14-15 in case you haven't heard.

Dud

I heard rumor of that, but hadn't heard any dates. I'm pretty doubtful on both of these later Oct weekends. They're pretty well reserved for bowhunting before the rifle hunters get in the woods and mess everything up for me and my piddly little bow. Any chance of you fellas being up there over the rifle season? That's my favorite couple of weekends to fish up there. Can be pretty cold on the water, but the fishing's ususally pretty decent.

I may be able to fish the first couple weekends of November if the weather is not too cold. I am going up this Saturday and giving the gap and river a try.

Yes I took my daughter up on Saturday and we did very well in the river straight out from the Wheelers Point boat ramp. We caught 15 or more walleyes biggest was 24.5 inches the rest were 17 inches or smaller. The weather was great maybe a little windy but over all we had a great time. It was quite the time watching all the tournament boats and others trying to get their boats out around 5:oopm. We also saw a lady fall in the river by the boat docks....it is always a riot when the ramps are that busy!

She didn't out fish me but she probably could have if she would have been paying more attention to her rod. She had it in the rod holder way too much. At times I would look at it and it was dancing like a circus clown! I told her to keep it in her hand but she said that was too much work! Oh well she did catch two nice walleyes and two perch.

Cool! Hey, you were out fishing with your little girl- how can you beat that?! She'll get better at holding onto the rod and paying attention to details as she gets older and has more outings with her wise and knowledgable pappa.

It could be worse- I took a nephew out this past weekend and he accidentally threw my whole rod and reel into the lake while trying to cast! I would have much preferred he took your little girl's approach and set it in the rod holder!!!

Congrats on the good trip. Maybe I'll bump into you up there later this fall. I'm still hoping for a trip up in early Nov.

• 2 weeks later...

Scoot Cal and I will be up this weekend have to get my new boat out one more time before I put her away. If you are up there we will be in a blue/tan Lund Pro Sport 90 horse johnson. Has your dad been fishing much?

Dud,

Cool- good luck to you both. Nope, my dad hasn't been fishing much at all. He ended up doing a buddy a favor and working for him during beet harvest. Suggestion- go to Ballard's, find Alex, tell him you're a buddy of mine and I'd appreciate it if he could point you in the right direction. He knows what's happening on the lake and the river and his info is very up to date. He'll get you started off on the right foot. After that, it's up to you and Cal to catch 'em.

My plan is still to be up there the first weekend in Nov. Any chance you'll keep your boat out until then?

Do me a favor- kick Cal in the azz and tell him that's from me. grin.gif

Good luck!

Thanks Scoot we will stop by Ballards and try to find Alex for a few pointers. I may have my boat out that long just keep me posted on when you will be up there etc. Cal may even be interested in coming up one more time then you can kick him in the azz yourself!Take care and hope to see you out on the water one of these days....If you are looking for someone to go to Selkirk with let me know!!

Dud

Well...? How'd it go, Milkdud. I'm not the only one looking for a report on this forum.

Most of my spies were over at Pine Falls this past weekend, so I haven't heard how the Rainy was.

Scoot we didn't end up going Cal's wife put the kabosh on it and wouldn't let him go. We may go this weekend....not sure yet? I told you the Bison were going to get steam rolled!

Dud

Will do If we go this weekend I will post on Monday! I was just kiddin about the Bison it was a heck of a game and I was hoping for that field goal to be good!

Dud

Milkdud,

Rumor has it that day 1 resulted in you whooping Cal 13:1. Yow!! What's a butt kicking!!! How'd the rest of the trip go?

The entire trip was great! We caught a lot of nice fish in the 16-18 inch range both days but nothing over 19 inches. The weather was good and the fishing was very steady most of the weekend. We fished the gap early in the mornings and then back in the river around 10:30am. We fished out by the church most of the day on Saturday and then in front of the wind sock on Sunday with decent action at both places. The jig that did very well for me both days was a 3/8 ounce half orange half white glow color. It was good to see your folks and MER, Good luck this weekend...wish I could make it up again but I don't think that will happen!Too much to do around the house!

Dud

Milkdud, glad to hear you had a good time. I wish I coulda been up there with you. I spent the weekend doing a little bowhunting and a lot of family time. It was a good weekend at home, but woulda been great to fish with you.

Take care,

Ended up not going. My dad got scared off by the cold temps during the middle/end of last week so he pulled his boat and closed up the cabin for the year. So, I stayed home and spent some good family time with the wife and kid. So, good weekend, but no fishing report to give you. My next fishing report will likely be the result of looking down an ice hole up at Selkirk.

Too bad about the fishing but family time is important as well. If the weather holds out I will be heading up Wednesday for the last time this year in the boat. Hopefully the eyes will still be biting. I will let you know when I get back if I go.