Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TTfromBlaine

Steel shot ?

16 posts in this topic

holy cow, I just cruzed my local sporting goods store looking for 12GA steel shot and just about blew a heart valve shocked.gif I know its been awhile since I've been hunting but I just dont remember it being that expensive average price 17.00, maybe I'm just having a senior moment, what are you guys seeing out there??

Tommy T.

The price of metal is up and will reflect in the price of the ammo this year.

I saw that the prices went up this year also. I normally shoot the cheapest shells anyway so it really didn't make too much of a difference to me. It may be just my gun, but I seem to shoot just as good with the cheap shells as I do with the higher end stuff. I have had the best luck with the Winchester X-perts, the Federal's in the blue box, and the Remington Sportsman. I have never been a good enough shot to try any of the non-steel nontoxic stuff to justify $3 a shot.

I just thought steel was mandatory for water fowl, I better get caught up the reg's blush.gif

Steel is mandatory for waterfowl. All the brands I listed are steel shot, but they are more in the $10 a box range. Some of the bismuth and hevi-shot are $25-30 for a box of 10.

At the end of the year Walmart had all their steel on clearence for $3 - $4 a box. I cleaned them out.

grin.gif

Mike

I talked to a dealer friend of mine and he mentioned in october most brands of ammo will have a price increase of up to 40%, better stock up now while we can......

I already bought many coyote rounds to last me for 2 years (unless there's an invasion of coyotes...)

If you find a dealer who sells the Estate brand they will run under $10 a box. I've found them for $6 a box during the season and they go bang and drop ducks just like the Federal I shoot. Estate is manufactured by Federal Cartridge currently.

I had some problem with the Estate shells last year....my Benelli SBE would pull the brass off of the casing and the shell would stick in the chamber. This happened with both 3 and 3.5 inch shells and has never happened with shells from any other manufacturer in this gun. anyone else experience this?

I had problems with Federal shells on my Rem 870, they would not load at all, I was stuck hunting with a single shot.

No problems with any other brands.

Hi Borch, how ya been? yea it looks like alittle foot work will be involved, I'm not to frugal when it comes to this stuff but saving alittle as you go along all helps to defray the costs of the longer trips grin.gif weredid ya get those estates at

I used Estate shells last year with no problems, but I've got a plain-jane Winchester pump. I'm pretty sure I bought my Estate shells at Fleet Farm.

Quote:

I had some problem with the Estate shells last year....my Benelli SBE would pull the brass off of the casing and the shell would stick in the chamber. This happened with both 3 and 3.5 inch shells and has never happened with shells from any other manufacturer in this gun. anyone else experience this?

Shot fine in my Stoeger made by Benelli. No problem in my son's Winchester 1300 either.

I've heard simuliar issue with people in all types for ammo gun combos. Who knows why?

Call around to fleet farm and the large sporting goods stores. They have all carried them at one time or another.

Thanks for the info, leaving in the AM for ND to get the duck camp ready so I'll have to get em when we get back.

Yep,

I'm about 2 hours away from going to Gander and picking up 3-4 boxes of Dove shells (7.5-8 shot) for roughly $8.00 per box. That really chaps me, but I guess it's my decision to hunt on state land, so I'll pay the price. At least gas has dropped a bit for us here in Roch. $2.18 (not intending to change the direction of this thread)