• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Question - No. Dak. Titles?

eyepatrol

We're working on the financing for purchasing a boat from a guy in North Dakota. In my discussion with him, he seems to believe they don't title boats or trailers in North Dakota. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, I'm not a big finance guy, but I believe there would be some sort of lien on the rig whether it's paid off or not. Is there a way to get the lien release card if the guy hasn't paid the boat off yet, or how would that work?

Thank you!

Trailer no they don't usually have to be licensed unless it is trailered out of state. So if he is just local with it then probably doesn't have a license.

This is straight from the Game and Fish I just got off the phone with them. In ND the game and fish handle the licensing of all motor boats.

The boat will be licensed and would be registered but it will NOT have a title. It should have a registration card though. Get that registration card and when you take it to the DMV in Minnesota the will use that to set up the title in MN. If you have anymore questions call the Game and Fish license center at Licensing (701) 328-6335.

Give them a call if you have more question they are usually very helpful.

I will confirm the above from being an ex ND resident. Man, i miss the snow goose hunting around bottineau. I'm comin back this year baby! WooHO!!

I went through the exact same situation. If your going to take out a loan for the boat it is essential that you write out a buyers agreement stating that the buyer is not responsible for any leins or debt of the previous owner. Both the owner and seller should sign the agreement that includes the make model and serial numbers of the boat, motor, trailer, and also the purchase price. The buyer agreement also shows proof of ownership that is required when you title a boat. The registration only shows posession, and not proof of ownership. You can do a google search and find a great outline and you can also have it notarized. The only tough part about buying a boat without a title is that if it was ever wrecked or salvage, there would be no record of it.

I am not entirely sure on what the NoDak law is but you may want to contact the ND Sec. of State office to do a search of UCC filings for liens on the boat which would be filed under the owners name.

I'm a guy that lives in ND, but I have my boat titled in MN.

When I went through all this, I got many, many answers. Everyone I asked seem to have a different answer, even from each state DMV's and MNDNR/NDDGF.

This is what I have.

ND Resident

Boat is licensed in MN

No lisc. on boat trailer, as they are not required in ND. You can purchase an optional lisc. for your trailer for $15, however it is not required.

IANAL, so YMMV.

-wx_nut

the boat wont have a title in MN either, just a dnr registration card. the trailer will be titled in MN, and if under 3000# or 3500# it will not need license plate and instead will have permanent registration.

if the boat is paid for, there would be no liens against it, but you will want to make sure its paid for, or that liens if there are any are cleared up.

Quote:

the boat wont have a title in MN either

Are you sure about this? This spring when buying a new boat I thought the registration card from the old boat was all I needed but the dealer said that the boat was titled. Which after doing some searching we found the title for the boat. So I am sure that the boat in MN will be titled.

marv

thanks for clearing that up. i've got a 1775 pro v and knew it didnt have a title nor had any of my previous boats. guess its just because my pockets arent deep enoguh to step up to the yacthing world wink.gif