Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cliffy

Maplewood State Park

24 posts in this topic

My wife and I had yesterday off...and thought we would go back to Lida to visit family. We spent the better part of the day just walking around Maplewood State Park. The best fall colors are still a few weeks away...but what a nice day...we only ran into two other people the entire day. I thought I would just post a few pics for fun...

09132006079.jpg

09132006003.jpg

09132006008.jpg

09132006023.jpg

09132006034.jpg

09132006049.jpg

09132006062.jpg

Great pics, Cliffy! Thanks for sharing them with us.

Like you said, in a few weeks that place will really come alove with awesome colors!

I found a panoramic setting on my camera...and I was able to put three photos together...just seeing if it looks ok...this is the dock at Beers lake in Maplewood..and that is my wife looking at the sunfish......

Image002.jpg

cliffy,

did it look like the emergent vegetation was starting to recede a little on the lakes in maplewood? what about the lilly pads? debating whether or not to head head down to my little fishing hole, but don't feel like fighting the "weeds" from shore wink.gif

The veg looked like it had not started to recede...if it had, it was not by much. The only lake we visited up close was Beers...and of course Lida..the swimming beach area. I couldnt tell ya about Bass or any other spots.

Cliffy

thanks! looks like I may hold off for a few more weeks....

Was out there for 5 days over Labor day. Caught LM Bass with the fly rod on Lida. Had muskies chasing me on Beers and these:

10inchgill.jpg

chasing and taking on grass lake. I didn't get a close look at them to identify, but there's also some BIG fish in grass. I had one straighten a hook and another chasing a gill I had hooked.

The weeds on the shoreline on grass go out to about 12' yet.

I never hit Bass because I was just to dang lazy and kicked back.

nice gill scott! good to see you out there waving that flyrod around grin.gif

Can you winter fish the lakes in Maplewood????

I believe you can...I have never heard otherwise. It might be hard to get to some of the lakes...I dont recall if they plow the roads or not.....

I have heard of people fishing Beers in the winter....not sure if there is any action there or not.

you can fish the lakes in Maplewood during a species open season. Only the main roads are plowed, and even still, they are not always that good. I would suggest a four wheel drive vehicle to get where you are going, as the hilly roads get quite icy. Also, since it is a State Park, no motorized vehicles allowed (other than cars) inthe park, i.e. no snowmobiles. It can be difficult to get to many of the lakes in Maplewood during the winter; however it is well worth it, since they do not recieve the pressure many of the other area lakes get, due to the non-motorized access issue.

Good luck!

Fished Beers in the winter. Back when it had a good population of walleyes, you could get a bunch in a very short time as the sun set. Caught only one muskie through the ice. It was a blast and there were two of them eyeing my bait at the same time. There used to be a decent crappie bite late in the year. They did plow the road leading to Beers.

Bass lake can be a lot of fun when trout season opens. Not a very big lake so if there's not a lot of snow on the ice, you can "troll" the lake.

Big Grass can have some real nice panfish in it. I think the stock it from panfish taken from Beers.

All three of these are along the main road that they have plowed in the past.

I seem to remember a snowmobile trail that goes through the park. I may be wrong on that. Also, there is a township road that doesn't get much maintenance that the township won't turn over to the park. You may be able to use snowmobiles there in the winter. Again, I'm not positive about this.

I agree with what has already been stated..but would like to add that there are snowmobile trails in the park. If I remember correctly, most do not go directly to the lakes mentioned...maybe I am wrong...just going by my memory on this one.

I guess I am wrong about the no snowmobile comment. I looked at the maps for Maplewood and there are snowmobile trails in the park that are groomed weekly. I can't vouch for use on lakes though, you might have to stay on the trail? I still believe you can't use sleds on Bass lake, I thought I recall seeinga no snowmobile sign leading down to the carry-in access. I'll have to make it down there soon and post what I see.

They CLose the Park and use the roads for snowmobile trails, so if you want to fish you will have to hike it or sled it. I tried a couple of years back.

Quote:

They CLose the Park and use the roads for snowmobile trails, so if you want to fish you will have to hike it or sled it.

huh? confused.gif

I was done there plenty of times last winter and they never closed the Park or the road to vehicles. I was able to drive right to tthe parking area/access.

maybe the township road is used for snowmobiles?

like Deadhead said, the roads are open as i remember going there a few times last winter also. you ready for some more troutin this coming winter deadhead?

also, how accessible are the other lakes in the park in the winter? i wouldn't mind chasin some of those pannies

3 years ago they would not let us in to the park roads in January. Had a big road closed sign blocking the road. Havn't tried since then.

From what I remeber, the road to Beers is kept open but the road to South Lida is not. There may have been some budget shortfalls keeping them from plowing but I haven't seen the main road closed.

Loren, you better believe we're gonna hit the trout again grin.gif

we gotta figure out the secrets of the deep and nail those toads wink.gif

ivegottabite, you read my mind grin.gif Was thinkin' of chasin some pannies...

I'm not so concerned about the roads being closed, as I would be on snowmobile anyway. However, deviating from a marked trail, even to go down an unplowed road in a State Park can be frowned upon by the DNR. frown.gif I will be up there in a week or so, perhaps I'll ask the ranger (or CO, there always seems to be one watching things pretty closely) for clarification. They may even know if and which roads will be plowed.

--Mark

Let me know when it's time to chase trout! I was planning a trip to a ND trout hole where there is some 4 pounders and better. But why stray if they are available here.

Quote:

we gotta figure out the secrets of the deep and nail those toads
wink.gif

I think we can get something figured out this coming season. I have even picked up a Fishtrap Scout to make things a little easier for me.

yeah I've been looking at getting a nice one-man shelter; either that or find a harness to pull the yukon with.

Scott, season's still open for trout in lakes through end of Oct. you should grab your otter or kayak and hit bass with the flyrod. I'll be getting out there in a few weeks, once the emergent vegetation has subsided a bit. Otherwise you fight snags all the time...