• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Oct. 7 Full Moon Night Trolling Trip Planned and need HELP!

walleyefey

I have always tried to plan a trip to Mille Lacs for the big fall bite. Every year however, it seems like my plans get bumped for a duck hunting trip. This year I am gonna get er done though. What are some good tips for an experienced angler that is however a rookie at the Middle of the night trolling techniques used at Mille lacs? Some good lures? Locations? Speed? Just a few good words of advice would be awesome. I am not gonna ask that you give up your hot spots, just some general suggestions would be great. I live 5 hours away and dont know much about that area. Are there any fish houses a guy can rent at a pretty good price this time of year? Where should a guy stay. Thank you.

By now a lot of places will be booked up so you'll need to call around. The fishing will be shorelines or close to shorelines and pretty much the whole lake will be good so you really shouldn't need to go far from whereever you're staying. It's basic contour trolling on flatlines around rocks and weeds.

There's been a lot of posts lately about baits and colors, just search back a little. Basically you'll be in less than 8 fow with shad baits or stick baits. 2 mph is a good place to start, maybe by then you'll want to be down around 1.7, could also be up to 2.2.

Bring a headlamp or catseyes and some extra batteries, and warm clothes. It's a great trip, I love fishing mille lacs in the fall under the full moon.

walleyefey,

PJ pretty much hit the nail on the head. Go back to past posts of last fall on this forum and you could be reading for a couple of days smile.gif I will re-iterate a couple of things, bring very warm clothes, if you don't need them...fine, but It will be a miserable night if you don't have them and need them. A dependable light source to use should you end up with a big fish tangled in the net, or line wrapped around a prop..etc. I also have a heavy duty side cutter and first aid kit in my boat, some crazy stuff can happen especially at night. Better safe than very sorry.

As far as a place to stay, I almost always fish the west side so I would suggest Twin Pines (great food, people and reasonable rates) Call Bill or Linda @ 1-800-450-4682 or

(320) 692-4413. If they are full there's always the Econolodge located down near Eddy's on the west side.

Is the night thing really fun or can it be stressful and complicated? Also, if you really start to get into the fish what are some numbers and sizes of catches that can take place this time of year?

Wf,

It's not complicated or stressful at all. 50 + fish nights are fairly common and most of them are over the slot. IMHO this is the best time and place for a fish over 30 in Mn. Leave the boards at home...they WILL make it complicated and stressful smile.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

No stress needed. Pick a spot, put on a lure, troll a depth. No fish? Put on a different lure. Troll a differnt depth. Maybe find another spot. Only gets stressful when you join the crowds. Seems that crowds bring out the worst in people. Seems I can always find somewhere with fish that isn't crowded.

Definately not complicated. Only stressful if there's lots of other boats around that you need to keep track of in the dark, or if the wind is blowing you up on shore while you're busy with a fish or changing baits. Planer boards - NFW, not at night.

I think fishing the night bite is a blast.

When you are trolling at depths that shallow does the noise of a big two stroker at night hurt the fishing or not? Do some guys even throw down the bow mount? One more thing, how much reliability is placed on the fish finder when trolling at night? Your help has been awesome so far guys Keep up the good work. I love this site!!! smile.gif

I troll using a 4 stroke kicker most of the time and rarely using the big motor. I have on occasion used the bowmount on a really calm nights when the fish preferred a presentation under a 1.0 MPH I have trolled 7-10 feet with the big motor and it didn't seem to scare off the fish. I rely heavily on two things, #1 my GPS loaded with the Navionics chip, that thing is dead on and my locator for depth control. I don't rely on it at all to mark fish or to locate fish it all. At 6 feet the size of your cone is about a 2 1/2 foot diameter so it's not covering much ground.

Quote:

I troll using a 4 stroke kicker most of the time and rarely using the big motor. I have on occasion used the bowmount on a really calm nights when the fish preferred a presentation under a 1.0 MPH I have trolled 7-10 feet with the big motor and it didn't seem to scare off the fish. I rely heavily on two things, #1 my GPS loaded with the Navionics chip, that thing is dead on and my locator for depth control. I don't rely on it at all to mark fish or to locate fish it all. At 6 feet the size of your cone is about a 2 1/2 foot diameter so it's not covering much ground.

What he said! locator is for depth control and GPS to navigate.

I use a 4-stroke kicker but I think you'll be okay with a big 2-stroke. The fish are there to eat.

I use a gps and LakeMaster chip to guide me on my trolling passes, after I get some history on the screen I use the trails and waypoints to stay on the fish.

You won't mark fish on your graph when you're that shallow, but you should keep on eye on it. One to watch your depth, especially if you're running steep edges, breaks, or weedlines. Also, watch for weeds, especially weeds and rocks together. If you troll past something that looks really good on the graph, it might be worth going back through there even if you didn't get a fish the first time.

I had to use my big motor(150 2 stroke)in the past and I feel it does make the fish spook a bit. I used my bow mount when ever the wind would let me in the past. I seemed to catch more fish with the bow mount down instead of the big motor. So, I put a T8 kicker on so I dont have to think I could be catching more fish if I was not using the big motor. I love that T8 grin.gif. I did read somewhere that the noise under the water between a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke is not all that different. Not sure if its true but it makes me feel better to use a 4 stroke. Use what you got and you will catch fish wink.gif

Good luck, LovenLifeGuy

I use nothing but my 2 stroke main motor and routinely pull fish out of 2-3 ft of water. As long as you can go slow enough and are able to trim the big motor up you be fine. Generally I'm running 75-125 ft of line out.

It sounds like the big pond will be a big zoo this fall, i may have to retire all my cranks and become a bobber fisherman. When too many boats troll an area the bite is never good. I would try to go during the week, it sounds like the weekend warriors who don't even know how to troll will be all over. crazy.gif

Quote:

It sounds like the big pond will be a big zoo this fall, i may have to retire all my cranks and become a bobber fisherman. When too many boats troll an area the bite is never good. I would try to go during the week, it sounds like the weekend warriors who don't even know how to troll will be all over.
crazy.gif

I don't have any trouble trolling cranks on the weekend. Most of the folks are back at home or cabin partaking in beverages by 1 am. Then there are lots of spots to fish. Prior to that fish the spots that are smaller or shoreline. Fish are on them too as well of lots of other spots that others just pass by. Lots of outtings I've never made it to "The Spot" as the other spots have just been too good to leave. laugh.gif

Quote:

It sounds like the big pond will be a big zoo this fall, i may have to retire all my cranks and become a bobber fisherman. When too many boats troll an area the bite is never good. I would try to go during the week, it sounds like the weekend warriors who don't even know how to troll will be all over.
crazy.gif

Well I guess as long as you stay positive about it...;)

The lake is huge and there are enough spots, if you get pushed out move to a new one, you will do better being away from others. By letting it bother you, they win again. Deep breath ... deep breath 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 repeat as necessary.

Quote:

Most nights the bobber fisherman outnumber the trollers, and the bobber fisherman anchor up pretty close to each other and make some spots look like zoos.

If you're trolling in a zoo then you need to venture out a little and explore some new spots. Assuming of course that you're not one of the weekend warriors that doesn't even know how to troll.

To Paul and Borch and the rest of the FM Family, thank you so much for all of your help! I am excited to report the outcome of our fishing outing. Its awesome to know that there are others like myself that are willing to help eachother out. Lets keep the info coming, its all great! I am curious what other tackle I need to bring. I have all of the sizes and colors of floaters from 7-18. I also have all colors of the countdowns in the 9's and all colors of the husky jerks. I aslo have a bunch of jr. thundersticks in all sizes and colors and wonder if they work worth a darn. What about the berkley frezy shallow runners with a rattle, do they work? I dont really want to bring 350 stick baits, thats why I wondering what the favorites are. Thanks guys a bunch!!!!!

Mr. Fey,

Not to give any personal info out, but we have meet a couple of different times at the Shetek Tourney, and while you and your Brother have stopped by my uncles house (by Current Lake) while duck hunting. Anyhow, I will be fishing Mille Lacs at a min. of once a week from now until Nov. and will be up there the weekend of the 7th. Infact the uncle that I mentioned before is going to be my fishing partner that weekend. I would be more that glad to give you the load down on whats been happening up there when we get closer to that date. E-mail me if you like... [email protected]

Good luck fishing!

Quote:

To Paul and Borch and the rest of the FM Family, thank you so much for all of your help! I am excited to report the outcome of our fishing outing. Its awesome to know that there are others like myself that are willing to help eachother out. Lets keep the info coming, its all great! I am curious what other tackle I need to bring. I have all of the sizes and colors of floaters from 7-18. I also have all colors of the countdowns in the 9's and all colors of the husky jerks. I aslo have a bunch of jr. thundersticks in all sizes and colors and wonder if they work worth a darn. What about the berkley frezy shallow runners with a rattle, do they work? I dont really want to bring 350 stick baits, thats why I wondering what the favorites are. Thanks guys a bunch!!!!!

The ones you have are all great choices. However, I don't use the countdowns unless I'm casting them. They tend to sink on turns and get stuck in the weeds or rocks. The rapalas, Husky Jerks and thundersticks are all favorites of mine. Add in a few suspending baits into the mix like the suspending rattlin rogues. If you're able to find the suspend dots or strips you can easily turn your floaters you anlready have into suspenders. The suspending baits really push their way to the front of my box the October & November.

Generally chrome colored flashy baits when the moon is out and more natural colors or flor. orange if it's a really dark night.

Good Luck!

WF,

Looks like they got you covered. A word of caution for everyone. DNR does have some test nets out. I saw 1 down by Rocky Reef and a couple more just south of Garrison. I'm sure they will be moved soon, but wanted to let everyone know that they are out there so HEADS UP

Hi - Paul I am not trying to bust your chops here but I don't think the post of fairly common 50+ fish or best spot for 30+ is very honest post.

Lots of variables there including time span and number of anglers but quite frankly I have never seen a night of 50+ fish although I do believe it could be possible with 4+ sticks and lots of time on water.

Fairly common...definitly not especially if you are not an expert with an inside track on the daily reports. To be fair I think an expectation to have fun and hook 2-10 fish is fairly common. There are plenty of nights when we don't even beat that.

As for the 30"+ anybody with a line in the water has a chance, but a walleye from this pond that truly tapes over 30" is a very rare indeed. Before reading this I was under the impression that you hadn't ever caught one that long? I will assume you have, but I gotta tell ya I have only personally witnessed 2 ever and neither was on my line. At best each fall that are only a handful of honest 30+ fish caught.Although good fishing, your odds a a longer/larger fish are likely better on most every river system, LOW, Rainy, a number of norther MN and BWCA lakes and perhaps a few other venues.

Paul, thank you for the vote of optimism. I too have experienced many fishing outings were people say that you cant catch 250 walleyes in 4 hours of fishing, however I have done it twice in my life. I have also fished on many lakes were people were not catching a darn thing and I on ther other hand couldnt keep them off the lines. I understand that fishing for all people at all times is not going to be good, however I feel that some people are more lucky than others. I have no plans on catching more that 20 fish a night. I do hope for 50 but basically I will just be happy to be able to head up to Mille Lacs and experience the whole night fishing thing. Lets not bash and put eachother down. Heck I plan of catching anywhere from 1-200 fish a night laugh.gif

Walleyfey,

Everybody has given you good information here to help you catch fish and I agree with all of them, but the advice I have for you is to keep the floor and inside of your boat clear of any unnecessary items you don't need such as extra rods, tackle boxes, clothing, buckets, etc. This will keep you from stumbling over this stuff. Also, keep the amount of people to a minimum. No more then 3 people can troll at night safety and effectively. Otherwise your tripping over each other and tangling lines. Also have good lighting that can be turned on when you only need it. We use Cateyes and have spot lights for when we really need a lot of light. Another thing I try to do is keep the graph screen back light turned down so it doesn't affect you rnight vision.

Someone mentioned having side cutters along. THis makes getting hooks out of your net easier as well as cutting hooks out of your fingers if the worst happens, and it will. Be ready for anything!

Have fun!

bigeyes,

My bad, I guess when I said in Mn, I wasn't taking into account the boarder waters. Are your odds for a 30 better on the Rainy or LOW or the other places you mentioned ..probably. For the majority of the people in the State Mille Lacs is close enough to be a day trip and in my book that makes fall on the big pond a winner, and you're right....it is ALWAYS about having fun. That's what ML in the fall is all about smile.gif

Too be fair it very well may be the best place in the state and maybe the country to catch large volumes of 26.5"-28.5" walleye at night. On a few special nights many many of these size fish can be boated.