Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nitroant

Range Finder

6 posts in this topic

Looking for advice on a range finder. I understand that you get what you pay for, but I won't use it much, so would like to keep it at $200-$250. What can you guys suggest. We have several stands and would like to range each one, but we don't move them much, so I don't plan to use it much.

I bought a Bushnell yardage pro scout a couple years ago.Nothing fancy and I think I paid around 225 for it.I use it for checking yardage from tree stands and thats about it.I can only say good about it and have never had a problem with it.Good little unit.

I just purchased a Nikon 450 from Galyans. Its was $199. I tried out the Bushnell one too and that also seemed to be a good unit. I Haven't used mine for hunting yet but I have used it golfing and it worked great.

What do you mean you wont use it much. If your a bow hunter you will use it everytime you are out. I use mine to mark the distance to spots before I ever see a deer. Its a great way to pass the time while your waiting and like Walleye Guy, I use mine for golf as well.

I have a Nikon 440 and love it. I got mine on Ebay for $165.

Nels

I only use it when I am hunting a new spot to check distances from a stand to the trails or a tree.That is the only time.Thats just me.

I have been hunting the same stands for years and pretty much know the area I am hunting.

I was just going to suggest the same thing...check out ebay. If you are a patient enough buyer you can usually get what you are looking for in the price range that you are willing to pay. I have a Nikon Team Realtree 800, that I got for a really good price. I had to bid on quite a few of them before I got one in the price range that I was willing to spend. Plus I saved about $50 on the retail price of the unit that a local retailer was selling it for.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Consider me in on a personal boycott of The Landing. Horrible horrible horrible customer service skills by the owners/management.

1) it is much quieter on the water without the big blasters running up an down the lake from the Landing.

2) Had a craving for wings while out fishing one night. Called ahead ordered up some wings- great taste- tiny crappy wings. Asked for a side of Blue Cheese and Celery - upcharge of like $3.00 for those. Washed it down with a bottle of Coors Light. $23.50

Large group went in one night and they usually tear up the bar. Were told they can't play jukebox until after 10 pm it was 9:40 PM- ONLY GROUP IN THE BAR.  "They are trying to build up an Ambiance"

Got their bar tab and they were done. Yearly group that dropped a lot of cash in the past. Never again until new ownership is on board.

Unfortunately they have deep pockets.

As soon as new ownership / management takes over the crowds will return.

• Big V Bobcat

Posted (edited)

That place is sinking faster than a boat anchor! I couldn't figure out why they were putting in so much money into it, especially since every time I'd drive by at dinner hour, there'd be at best 5 cars parked there. Always a good crowd at the Crescent of course. I don't mind the lack of view...since I'm usually on the lake most of the day already. I remember the days of Judd and Jack, and the place was lively and included the locals. Now it is mostly oblivious resort guests who see it as the only option. Very "pretentious" place that would be better suited in the Brainerd lakes area. My wife's co-worker told her that he was there this summer and they charged him $2 for a glass of water and .75 for mustard (in a stainless steel cup of course). I'd like to check out Wolf Bay, but I need a faster boat first! Don't even get me started on the $7 beers....

Edited by Big V Bobcat
    • OhioVike

Posted

My entire family loves coming up to the lake. We make it part of the routine to stop at the landing at least once per trip.  At the end of the day a few extra bucks per entree is no big deal. Our meals have always been good, service has varied with the crowds which is true everywhere up there.  Run the per pound cost on your walleye catch. The few meals a year you eat there would pale in comparison.  I hope they stay open, it is a fun part of our trips!

• FrazerBay

Posted

Have to agree..food is great..best place in the winter on snowmobile..

but..the dock situation could use a big upgrade.

1 person likes this
    • LakeofthewoodsMN

Posted

Walleyes and Saugers continue to move closer to the south shore. Good fishing in 23 feet of water outside the Lighthouse gap and all along the south shore. Shiner minnows in the area keeping large schools of walleyes active! The bite will continue to improve in the coming weeks. Anchoring and jigging with a shiner minnow successful with gold or pink/gold the colors of choice. Some crankbait action in the afternoons to cover water to find active schools. Lots of ducks and geese in the area as local waterfowl still around. Should expect a good northern push in a few weeks as it gets colder.

The Rainy River continues to get better each day as more shiners and walleyes push into the river. Fall walleye fishing on the Rainy River can be some of the best! Sturgeon are being boated up and down the river daily. 

Up at the Northwest Angle, walleye and sauger action is hot. Drifting with a bottom bouncer, spinner, and a minnow doing great. Anchoring and jigging with a minnows doing good as well. Look for deep holes and mud areas in 18-30 feet between Oak and Flag Island. Also look for points with depths of 8-18 feet as shiners have started moving into bays. On the Ontario side, walleye fishing is red hot as the feed bags are on to bulk up for the winter. Use electronics to locate schools of fish in 18 to 28 feet and use a jig and minnow. Bottom bouncers with spinners can be used to cover water to locate fish. Crappies over 15 inches are stacked up in sharp drop offs and around flooded timber in 30 feet. Muskie action has turned to trolling large minnow baits in 10-18 feet. Plenty of waterfowl in area with local birds still around.

• Big Kype

Posted

People are getting smarter.

• Big Kype

Posted

Northern Minnesotans are strong supports of the SS rule. Shoot and shut up.

• Cliff Wagenbach

Posted

I have never had a bad meal at the Vermilion Club!

Great pizzas, wings, steaks, etc.!

Cliff

1 person likes this
    • Capt. Quicksteel

Posted

This thread makes me glad I'm on the east end!!  :)  Nobody has mentioned the Vermilion Club. Not fancy but we always enjoy the pizza etc

• Great report.  I will be fishing Fri, Sat, Sun with high school buds and we are looking forward to good fishing and good catching!!!

• Sorgy
      Consider me in on a personal boycott of The Landing. Horrible horrible horrible customer service skills by the owners/management. 1) it is much quieter on the water without the big blasters running up an down the lake from the Landing. 2) Had a craving for wings while out fishing one night. Called ahead ordered up some wings- great taste- tiny crappy wings. Asked for a side of Blue Cheese and Celery - upcharge of like $3.00 for those. Washed it down with a bottle of Coors Light. $23.50 Large group went in one night and they usually tear up the bar. Were told they can't play jukebox until after 10 pm it was 9:40 PM- ONLY GROUP IN THE BAR.  "They are trying to build up an Ambiance" Got their bar tab and they were done. Yearly group that dropped a lot of cash in the past. Never again until new ownership is on board. Unfortunately they have deep pockets. As soon as new ownership / management takes over the crowds will return.
    • Big V Bobcat
      That place is sinking faster than a boat anchor! I couldn't figure out why they were putting in so much money into it, especially since every time I'd drive by at dinner hour, there'd be at best 5 cars parked there. Always a good crowd at the Crescent of course. I don't mind the lack of view...since I'm usually on the lake most of the day already. I remember the days of Judd and Jack, and the place was lively and included the locals. Now it is mostly oblivious resort guests who see it as the only option. Very "pretentious" place that would be better suited in the Brainerd lakes area. My wife's co-worker told her that he was there this summer and they charged him $2 for a glass of water and .75 for mustard (in a stainless steel cup of course). I'd like to check out Wolf Bay, but I need a faster boat first! Don't even get me started on the $7 beers....
    • OhioVike
      My entire family loves coming up to the lake. We make it part of the routine to stop at the landing at least once per trip.  At the end of the day a few extra bucks per entree is no big deal. Our meals have always been good, service has varied with the crowds which is true everywhere up there.  Run the per pound cost on your walleye catch. The few meals a year you eat there would pale in comparison.  I hope they stay open, it is a fun part of our trips!
    • FrazerBay
      Have to agree..food is great..best place in the winter on snowmobile.. but..the dock situation could use a big upgrade.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      Walleyes and Saugers continue to move closer to the south shore. Good fishing in 23 feet of water outside the Lighthouse gap and all along the south shore. Shiner minnows in the area keeping large schools of walleyes active! The bite will continue to improve in the coming weeks. Anchoring and jigging with a shiner minnow successful with gold or pink/gold the colors of choice. Some crankbait action in the afternoons to cover water to find active schools. Lots of ducks and geese in the area as local waterfowl still around. Should expect a good northern push in a few weeks as it gets colder. The Rainy River continues to get better each day as more shiners and walleyes push into the river. Fall walleye fishing on the Rainy River can be some of the best! Sturgeon are being boated up and down the river daily.  Up at the Northwest Angle, walleye and sauger action is hot. Drifting with a bottom bouncer, spinner, and a minnow doing great. Anchoring and jigging with a minnows doing good as well. Look for deep holes and mud areas in 18-30 feet between Oak and Flag Island. Also look for points with depths of 8-18 feet as shiners have started moving into bays. On the Ontario side, walleye fishing is red hot as the feed bags are on to bulk up for the winter. Use electronics to locate schools of fish in 18 to 28 feet and use a jig and minnow. Bottom bouncers with spinners can be used to cover water to locate fish. Crappies over 15 inches are stacked up in sharp drop offs and around flooded timber in 30 feet. Muskie action has turned to trolling large minnow baits in 10-18 feet. Plenty of waterfowl in area with local birds still around.