• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Liriano

Down to Earth

Just left the game in the top of the 3rd. Definatly looked injury related. Will update as I hear.

They say, the Twins said "any set back with Liriano that he would be done for the year to protect his future". Sounds like could be done for year, not good for playoff run. In turn I hope this won't affect teams psychy(sp) for rest of the year cause they figured on his help the rest of the way.

Just said he left with left elbow pain. Silva, Garza and Boof will need to step up. Garza is in now.

Can we hope that he was being extra cautious and didn't want

to have happen like happened earlier???? Always the eternal optimist. shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif

I heard the Radio guys say the early report from the dugout was that they were being extra cautious and are optimistic it's not major. frown.gifconfused.gif

He left with elbow pain they said. They are probably being cautious, but it's obvious he wasn't ready yet.

I hope Garza, Boof and even Silva can pick it up. With any luck Radke will be back for the playoffs and we can patch it together in the meantime.

DAMM! smirk.gif

Sounds like the pitch he did it on was a slider that hit the dirt in front of home. Maybe he miss threw the pitch which could aggrivate even a healthy elbow.

Everyone think good thoughts!!!

With any luck he can sit for a while and be ready to go for the playoffs.

The kids too young to have him throw his arm off already. Lots of pitching years to come for him.

Garza pitched really well today. Once again there was no run support. The whole team looked a little sloppy on the field today, kinda like the wind got knocked out of 'em.

Let's hope there is good news for Liriano.

Isn't the recurring elbow situation one of the reasons we were able to get him in the first place? Seems I read that somewhere? We'll see, but if he has a chronic elbow condition..... frown.gif

Boof Bonser was actually the prospect that we were after to go with Nathan from the Giants.

Liriano was a player to be named later and has turned into what he is today. At the time we got him from the Giants he had injury problems with his elbow.

They should have shut him down for the season after this first injury. Hindsight is 20/20 though. smirk.gif

Talk about a let down. Injured Liriano AND losing 1-0. I'm not holding my breath about Radke coming back either. Let's hope the team rallies and pulls together at Cleveland.

Heard reports Liriano heard something pop in the elbow. Some radio people are saying he's done and might be looking at Tommy John surgery, which would put him on the shelf possibly until 2008. Glad we didn't lock him up with a big contract like Joe Mays. I hope surgery is not needed. Maybe he will need to learn how to use another pitch without torquing his arm so much with the slider.

He is done for this year, for sure. No way are they going to take any more chances with the kid. Sure, it is a huge blow. But we did fairly well with a patchwork rotation minus 'Cisco. MAYBE we will be ok. Think positive and maybe Silva will actually earn his 2.5 million. Yes, he is making 2.5 large... We need him now more than ever.

Just heard the ESPN guys saying that they thought it was a torn ulnar collateral ligament in the elbow and the projected time off would be 18-24 months...OUCH! That's going to leave a mark!

Windy

I love this, let all the so-called experts keep saying how the Twins are finally done after losing Liriano. Well you know what, we just finished a month without him and still have a 1 1/2 game lead in the wild card.

These experts have said we were done when.... we were 12 games out in May and one of the worst teams in baseball, when Shannon Stewart went on the shelf, when Liriano got hurt the first time, when Radke's shoulder fell off, and now when Liriano goes down today. Just watch, Santana is going to carry this pitching staff and lead guys like Garza and Boof who are just young enough and cocky enough to not realize the magnitude of this race.

It's only going to make it sweeter when Windy's White Sox are sitting at home this fall watching the Twins and Tigers in the playoffs. Then again Windy it may not be all that bad, maybe AJ can call up some of his old friends at HOM Furniture here in Minnesota and get some "free cookies too!" for all his overpaid loser teammates as you watch the Twins go to the World Series.

This team is way too tough to just roll over now. Gardy's not going to let them sulk about Liriano, instead they are going to be inspired. Get ready boys, this is going to be a memorable stretch run!

montgriz-

Couldn't of said it better myself. The Twins are not a one man show. Bonser beat the Tigers and Silva is finally getting his sinker to sink. Funny how the national media thinks the Twins are done without frisco. Would they say the same about Boston losing Schilling or the White Sox losing Garland??? Probably not- but the real story is that both of those teams are DONE and Twins continue to lead the WC race. Sox fans-- when you come to the dome the last three games of the year-- Black Magic and the piranhas will cast you a final spell that leads to ,, "Wow, What a TEAM!"

Dudes you guys forget so easy... It's about

big market baseball that's why. Look the Yankees/Redsox series is this weekend and you would think it's the world series on ESPN with the hype and the fricken red sox are 10.5 games back, mad.gif it's sickening. mad.gif Let the Twins use it as fuel I say and keep kicking butt. ESPN has there thumbs up there sweeps/ratings sphincters grin.gif Go Twins!

Montana,

Nobody said the Twinks were done. Actually the ESPN guys who said it was the ulnar collateral ligament said that it would not affect the team and he actually said he thought the Twinks would get into the playoffs. It's just that they will have to do it without Lirai-NO. Windy!

You guys have had a great past few weeks without him. Why would it change? Probably more of an emotional problem than actually losing the pitcher. No baseball fan could ever be happy about this. It's a shame. Hope he comes back strong.

I heard that the MRI revealed no tears and that there's a remote chance he could pitch again if the Twins reach the playoffs.

That would be music to the Twinkie's ears. I was just passing on what I heard the ESPN guy say.

Windy

As stated earlier,the Twins have done well with the young players they are playing now.I gave them up for dead a long time ago and boy was I wrong.This young team can do it with what they have now.At least they think so and thats all that matters.You cannot count them out like I did a month or two ago.

Now that Liriano is out I put it at a 100% chance Radke will pitch again this year. There is no way he will just sit on the side in the dugout and watch this team the rest of the year. Radke is as tough as they come and he knows the team needs him. He will pitch through whatever pain he has, he doesn't need to protect his career at this point this is his last year and I bet he will fire ever last bullet that arm has in it. His arm would literally have to seperate from his body for him to not pitch, and even if that did happen I think he would try to pitch left handed.

Here's the article:

CLEVELAND - Those who feared the worst with Twins pitcher Francisco Liriano's arm injury could breathe a little easier Thursday.

Early indications from two sources were that Liriano's magnetic resonance imaging exam, taken Wednesday, showed no new structural damage to his left elbow.

Twins General Manager Terry Ryan could not be reached for comment, but sources said Liriano's MRI results were very similar to the results from early August, which showed a mild tear of his ulnar collateral ligament.

At the time, the Twins said that was an old injury for Liriano. After resting the elbow and strengthening his shoulder, Liriano began a throwing program that led to Wednesday's return, which he cut short in the third inning against Oakland.

After being examined by the Twins' medical staff Wednesday, Liriano, 22, could be headed for a second opinion.

Speculation mounted Wednesday that Liriano could need the ligament reconstructive procedure commonly known as "Tommy John surgery."

The recommended rehabilitation time from Tommy John surgery is 12-18 months.

The Twins had already planned to shut down Liriano for the rest of the season, but if the early reports hold true, he would hold a much better chance of being at full strength for the start of spring training.

More information is expected in coming hours, as the Twins begin a four-game series with the Cleveland Indians tonight.