• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bow hunt within city limits?

snapcrackpop

Didn't find any specific info from a search of past topics.

Is there any MN Statute against discharging a bow or hunting within city limits?

Or is it up to each individual city to have their own ordinance?

Its up to the particular city or jurisdiction. Most cities have some type of ordinance against shooting within city limits...they might call it a firearm in the ordinance..but read the definitions closely and you will more then likely see it covers bows, cross bows, pellet guns, paintball guns.etc.

Just give your local PD a call...they should be able to tell you. Believe me, it’s a pretty common call.

Yep a municipality can't regulate hunting directly as that's the State's job, but they can, and almost all do, regulate shooting anything (bow, gun, pellet gun, etc.)within the city limits.

There are some cities in MN who do open up bow hunting in city limits for herd control. In every situation you need to take a class and also need a snipers lic/cert. To prove how good a shot you are as they dont want wounded deer walking around. I have my snipers cert, and have done a few of the city hunts.. but they can be very difficult as many of the deer are very noctournal.

In all cases you still have to follow all game laws and usually quite a few more.

So if the city does not have an ordinance against discharge of a bow/weapon, then you're clear to go?

Most cities have their ordinances online.

Mankato has an ordinance against shooting within city limits, but others do not.

I read "city x's" ordinances and didn't see anything listed...

I would prefer to not call "city x" and "ask for permission", because that's a roll of the dice.

I just want to avoid doing anything illegal.

If your intension is not to be illegal.. I would then call city hall and ask the rules. Ignorace of the rules is not an excuse to not follow them. Its up to you as the hunter to know the rules.

A number of the city hunts are also listed in the MN hunting Regs (but not all of them...). Mankato has one listed there, as does New Ulm.

Its not really a roll of the dice. Its either legal or its not, and that may be the only way to find out.

Also, remeber, there may be regulations regarding where it is legal to discharge a firearm or bow as well. (setback requirements)

Not sure what city your talkin about but all the ones around are area have no bow hunting as i have checked into it already.We have several nice bucks on the north side of town.No houses no buildings for a 1/2 - 3/4 mile all woods/crop field yet still off limits to bow hunting

Couple years ago a guy got busted where i'm talking about.2 different times weeks before he was busted it was in the news paper in big black bold letters.No discharging a bow in city limits.Also gave the city limits map and where to purchase 1

Few small towns i checked into as well.Some have population of 20 people and the city limits is huge way off from any buildings and yet same out come

Just because you cant find anything dont make it ok to go.I dont think it would be an escape route to get outa a ticket.As a hunter it's your duty to know the rules

If you find a city you can hunt in the city limits the next thing is to look at would be is this a park thats not been marked as 1 by sign.For years i knew a place at the time was bordering city limits.Half the woods was in city limits the other half was not.The map showed a red line going through the woods so your guess was as good as mine where it actualy was

I later found out that the 1 half was indeed a park that was not marked as 1.I also found out my stand was in the park when the game warden came banging on my door.This was 15-20 years ago i did get my stand back with no tickets.Only reason i did not get a ticket was the game warden at the time was hunting not far from me.to this day i still have no idea where the park actualy is but that was enough to make me hunt else wheres

Cliffy, yep checked that already, only painball and BB guns listed. No mention about guns, bows, weapons, etc.

TJM, I had a hard time understanding what you were trying to say about the "park not listed as 1..."

Do you know of any town (other than Mankato, New Ulm, listed in DNR regs) that allows bowhunting?

Have you ever asked a town/city hall and they said, "Yea, go ahead."?

If a city does not have an ordinance against discharging a bow or "dangerous weapon" and park rules don't exclude hunting, what else is there to check? Again, I don't want to break any rules, but I don't want to let them know if they have a "loop-hole" either.

If I am lucky enough to have found a city without the ordinance phohibiting it, I don't want to point it out to them so they can make a new one (and they will) for next year.

What else besides the ordinances would make it illegal to hunt within the city limits?

Apart from that, I am most concerned about a deer running out onto the road or having someone watch me drag a deer back to the truck. No risky shots for sure.

I appreciate your input and concerns.

Quote:

Apart from that, I am most concerned about a deer running out onto the road or having someone watch me drag a deer back to the truck. No risky shots for sure.

I appreciate your input and concerns.

If that is a concern I would like to know what you plan on doing if you could find a spot to hunt and did shot one. How do you expect to get the deer back to your truck if you do not want to drag it? Just a thought???

Froggy

This is what I would do if I were in your shoes.

1. Contact the local PD. Ask to speak with someone with stripes or bars...(Boss). Tell them what your thinking and MAKE SURE there are no laws against the use of a bow within city limits. I would also suggest getting the Officer's name..perhaps business card...in case of trouble later.

2. Contact the local CO and tell him of your idea and the fact that you already spoke to Sgt. or LT. so and so and there was no legal issues concering the discharge of a bow..etc. Tell the CO you are just double checking to see if there are any other concerns you should be aware of...etc.

3. Perhaps contact the city park manager and tell them you already spoke to Sgt/LT and the local CO and see if they have any info.

Its my guess that pretty much every city has delt with this issue and has clear cut rules...either for it or against it. I guess if it was me, I would want to know for sure that its ok to do it....and have a couple of names to drop if someone makes a complaint...etc.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.......

Cliffy

Cliffy,

thanks, that's the kind of info I'm looking for.

I have a copy of the ordinances and it only lists BB guns, paintguns, etc.

Frogggy,

I can drag it out and I have a deer cart, just want to be as discreet/quiet as possible.

I have also heard about having a small sheet of plywood with a hole and rope on one end. Tie the deer's neck or horns (hopefully) to the board, prop the board up to the tailgate and then lift the other end like a stretcher/cot and slide him in.

Snap shoot me a e-mail and I might be able to give you some more insite on what you are looking to do. I am from the Mankato area and happen to be one of those people with stripes or bars. willsphillip at hotmail then at the com thing

Froggy

Sounds like your BBgun/paintball ord. is a newer one and the ones you are looking for a much older. I cannot believe that there is no ord about discharging a firearm within city limits but there is a paintball gun law. Highly unlikely. Call the local PD I'm sure tey will know exactly what the rules are. You will not win anything by trying to trick them.

I am hunting city hunts almost exclusivly this year and every city has an ord. no matter how big or small. I have never found a town that has no ordinances about discharging a weapon. They all spell out in lawyer speak about firearms and bows, sometimes all inclusive as weapons.

So I checked with a lawyer and he couldn't see any specific laws against it either.

I checked out the park boundries.

Finally gave in and talked to one of the police officers, luckly he is a hunter too.

He said he knows of a few individuals who hunt within city limits, but on private ground.

So unoffically he said go ahead, but be quiet about it.

From what I understand there are no big bucks there anyways, but could be fun going after the does.

Probably will be a new ordinance next year from all my poking around.

Thanks for your help guys.

There are some cities that, with landowner permission, you can hunt with a permit that you can obtain for a fee from the city. Also, you must be x number of yards from a building/road/etc. I know this as my father-in-law currently has this situation in a northern metro city. So as many people have said, best to call the city and ask...that is what they are there for.