Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
solbes

Pulling out the Boat Lift???

solbes

We have some property on the Crow Wing chain near Walker. I bought a boat lift this summer so I would not have to trailer in/out every weekend, which saves gas money by allowing me to take our car.

The problem is that we have about a 30 degree slope from a gravel road down to the water, approximately 20 feet long. Of course it was pretty easy to drop into the water, but getting it out is going to be entirely different.

Anyone else have a similar situation? Any tips would be appreciated! I installed a set of those big plastic lift wheels prior to dropping it in. My current plan is to attach an electric winch to the truck, but there might be better ideas out there.

lawdog

It is tought under the best circumstances to get a boat lift out. Ours we ahve to lift over some substantial rocks and its get harder every year we get older! We do use a whinch on the four wheeler and that helps. One of the two has wheels and that is nice if you have a pull like the whinch, then its just a matter of helping it balance. If you have the wheels and don't have big rocks to go over it should be pretty easy with the whinch and a couple guys in the water to help it move along and tilt right...

mtreno

use the winch if you have one. i have been thru a few "great ideas" and so far that works the best.

one guy kinda guiding it in (in water) and the other running the winch

the 2500 lb was not quite enough power. buddy has a 5000lb that hooks to a trailer hitch and that one works perfect.

stick

I'll second the winch thing, and add that the "helper" in the water can use a 2x4 or bigger board to help "persuade" the lift along and over rocks. Use it to get leverage and lift the lift.

I think by brother and I perfected the process last year after dabbling for a few years. It consists of the wheel kits, 4 wheeler and winch, and me wadered up and helping the lift along with the 2x8 in our case. We have 2x10s as ramps on shore to get the lift up the 2-3' lip at waters edge.

solbes

Stick - That's pretty much my situation, except I don't have any rocks to worry about. I also have a pair of 2x12's to help me get past the 2-3 foot lip. What size winch do you have and how much does your lift weigh? The winch I bought used is a 2000lb load rating and the aluminum lift weighs between 300-400 lbs.

Mtreno - I'm a little worried now that my winch is underpowered. Do you have a really heavy lift or is your incline really steep? Is the lift not on wheels?

The trolling motor I bought from you 3 years back is still going strong by the way!

stick

I don't know what the winch is rated for, but it's just the normal run of the mill on a 4 wheeler. The rig is my bro's neighbor's and it isn't set up to pull much of anything. So, I don't think it has any special ratings. As far as the boat-lift, it is a Shoremaster rated for 3000 or 4000 lbs. It has a canopy and we take the fabric off, but keep the frame on the lift. I don't know the actual weight of the lift, but I hope this gives you the general idea. One thing to note is that there is about a 20' bluff and the 4 wheeler is on top of the bluff which puts more pull upwards versus simply horizontally. I think this helps out considerably, too. Get the winch as high as possible.

CHODE

I have the best solution for pulling up boat lifts!

I can email some pictures to someone if they could post them for me! We just finished a system for my new 5000 lb lift and it works like a charm.

Chode

PierBridge

dartmasterhd at yahoo

I'll post them....

LIVE2FISH

I have a lift at my leech property with a 4 foot rocky shoreline. I put brackets on each corner of my lift and use 4 wheels. I then pull it up with my truck .It works great . I can take my lift out by myself. It is a 3000 lb. lift.

solbes

Thanks for all the suggestions. If my winch is underpowered I'm going to use a pulley block that acts to double the load capacity at half the speed.

Chode - I'd love to see your system. We will be taking it out on Saturday.

Live2Fish - I could probably do what you do, but there isn't enough room to get the truck perpendicular since it goes up a steep hill.

mtreno

solbes -

ya my lift is kinda heavy - its steal...... we also found it works better from a bit of a incline giving the lift more of an upword pull. my pontoon lift i bet i could get out with the wheeler winch

ya that was a good motor! i forgot all about when i had two...... man i do some wierd stuff sometimes......