Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Valv

Electronic mice repellents, do they work ?

16 posts in this topic

I am having a serious mice problem this year, must be a sign of a tough winter to come, but anyway I was looking at these electronic mice repellents, they look interesting, there are several types and versions.

Do they work ? Has anybody used them and found them effective ?

In-laws bought them. They are worthless.I use brick bait in my basement where I store firewood and never see a mouse, ditto for my shed and garage. Don't waste your money on those electronic contraptions.

Val, if you can find one small enough to fit on a cats collar they work great. grin.gif

We tried one at the cabin and put a trap right next to it. It didn't seem to deter the mouse that got caught in the trap.

We have a couple of industrial ones at work and they work, kinda sorta.

Best way I know of to get rid of mice is go to a local farm and get a ball bearing mouse trap. (cat)

Down side to that plan is when the mice are gone you now have a ball bearing mouse trap to deal with.

That's what I thought, they look too much as a "worthless contraption" more than effective solution.

I won't use poison or they will die inside hous somewhere and stink up the place, I guess I keep on going with standard traps untill all the mice in the area are exterminated.

BTW DO NOT use the glue paper traps, they are the stupidest idea I've ever seen. Once you catch mous it's still alive on it, you have to pull his legs apart to remove it, toss it alive in the trash, smash it with your foot/shavel/etc...

VAlv, check out the free section, someone has some cats which are the best mouse traps ever made laugh.gif

I use the stadard traps. Put some peanut butter on the catch and shove it into a paper lunch bag. Catch a mouse and it's an easy cleanup.

I don't care handling mouse on trap, I just hated to look at it alive when I am pulling its legs off....

MnIce, I saw the kittens but they are in St Michael !!!! I also have 2 of them, toms, the most worthless animals I ever saw, they just sleep, eat, and ....well you know what.

I need some females, these do hunt !!!!

Quit feeding them and they will hunt.

Quote:

Quit feeding them and they will hunt.

That's the funnest thing I've read all day! grin.gif

I have a siberian husky and let's just say there aren't any varmints anywhere around the house. Better mouser than any cat I ever seen. We do have a couple squirrels in the trees but they pretty much never come down to her level.

Has any one heard of using formeldihyde for mice? I think this is what an exterminator uses, the mice brings it back to the nest and they all die without leaving a smell.

If this works, where can I get some formeldihyde?

I'm looking into this for my mom who is dealing with mice in her house. She doesn't want anything to do with disposing of the dead mice...actually, she doesn't even want to look at them. crazy.gif

a cat is the best pest control out there. Most are annoying as H-E-double hockey sticks but mine does it all with no meowing. He tells me he wants food by jumping up to his food dish and water by jumping into the tub while I'm bringing the kids to the pool. I've seen him take out everything from fruit flies to mice. Chipmunks have slipped past him but not past the garbage can I left tilted and filled up with rainwater. That was gross. I felt bad as he was probably swimming and trying to get out for hours. I found him 3 days after the storm. I dont mind them but I have a hole somewhere in my heating ducts and he was in the house at one point. I found poop in a drawer so I set a trap and it went off with no result so I know it was a chipmunk. Kitty was pinned to the counters for a few days before he drowned. Now I've been pest free. The occasional fly or moth gets in but kitty makes quick work of them. MMMMM, protein.

bringing the kids to the pool....had to think about that a little and really laughed when I figured it out

Ive never tried this but my neighbor claims he leaves couple open containers of pine sol out and mice dont like it and he hasnt had any in his shed or garage since he started it.... confused.gif

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• SkunkedAgain

Posted (edited)

Maybe there is a market out there for higher end food on Vermilion. If I were in the restaurant business and felt that way, I would probably operate that restaurant on the other end of the lake where it stands out from the competition and benefits from the higher population density and bigger cabins/wealth.

In my mind, what the west end has always wanted is a fun place to hang out, get a beer, and swap fishing tales. You don't need $20 bloody mary's to do that or $12 burgers. Most people would be happy with a Heggie's pizza, some wings, or nachos with melted cheese....accompanied by a mug of Schells/Leinie's/Bud and your occasional can or bottle of something more fancy like a Surly. No need to make this a high-end sushi joint or something that it's really not.

Those seeking a fancy meal will seek it out as necessary. The masses will just avoid the joint if it isn't to their liking.

Edited by SkunkedAgain
    • BSLNORTH

Posted

We did pretty well duck hunting and I thought there was a lot of shooting around. Spent a few hours in the woods checking stands and didn't see one grouse. Lots of deer sign.

• rundrave

Posted

I think you need to go back to basics. What you are trying to do doesn't have to be reinforced in just the boat.

You need that dog to obey and listen to each command you give. If you are trying to get her to sit/stay then that's what you need to work on.

You can practice and work on that command every time you open the door to the kennel to let the dog out. You tell her to sit/stay and you open the door. If she doesn't you know close the door and repeat.

Every time you give your dog a bowl of food don't just give it to her make her sit/stay before she get its. There are  varieties of situation that the sit command can be used for. Start with small exercises and work your way up to bigger more complicated tasks, repetition, repetition repetition. Be sure to praise and always try to end work on a positive note. 

I think the most important thing is don't give a command you cant reinforce.

• Musky hunter 82

Posted

I made it out last night, saw a small buck and a nice doe at 20 yards but to quite to hear them and since I'm in some really thick stuff I didn't see them until they were on top of me.  Also saw another deer 40 yards away but couldn't tell what it was, then spooked something behind (not the direction the deer normally head to in the evening) me as I was getting down.  Almost had a Coyote in the CRP grass when I was walking out, big sucker and the second one see in two sits now (one by my wife and now by me), the land owner said that they are coming up on to his yard now.  I've hunted this ground for 12 years and this is the first year I've seen a coyote while hunting.

Here's a couple of views from the stand, going to move it to the edge of the CRP field that is about 30 yards behind me.

20160925_164858.jpg

20160925_164902.jpg

• paceman

Posted

Made it out for a very short sit Saturday Night. Thunder storms had my son and I scrambling for the truck. Our view. Lots of good deer sign in area. Early SE Corn.JPG

• 750 this week only Im losing money on this but would rather have someone be able to use it than for it to just sit around. After this week I am going to winterize it and it will no longer be for sale.

• How is she on the sit command?  That is the basis of everything.  She needs to learn to sit still and wait until the next command.  I don't even teach my dogs "stay" because it isn't necessary if they are solid on "sit".  Every dog has the ability to be steady, it is up to you to teach them.  A lab that isn't steady in the boat is not only annoying, it is potentially dangerous with loaded guns and the potential to capsize a boat in open water. 

If she knows sit but just needs some reinforcement, it may just take a couple trips where you don't even bring the gun along and let others shoot while you handle the dog. 

If she's real bad, I would recommend going back to the basics. It will be tougher with an older dog versus a puppy but is definitely worth it. Check out the retriever training DVDS by Bill Hillman. They are spendy but definitely worth it.

• easyrider25

Posted

Looking for advice on keeping the dog focused and quiet in the duck boat.  Was out today and we shot enough ducks to keep her busy, however my dog is such a hyper hypo that it's a  little annoying.  Either whining or jumping back and forth from the front and back of the boat.  Do I just need to establish the expectation and keep on her till she finally gets it or is this how some dogs are in the boat? This is her 4th year duck hunting and she has continued to improve each season.  Overall I am happy with her work, especially with the limited amount of hunting I do.  We were out today for 3 hours, shot 8 birds and she did great on the retrieving end and is pretty much focused on the skies, but if something is not constantly dropping from them I feel like I have a screaming baby on my hands.  It's not really that bad, just very annoying.   I would just like her to sit in her spot, stare at the skies and wait for my command.  Is this to much to ask?

• On 9/24/2016 at 3:30 PM, ZachD said:

she's getting big

She's up to 38 pounds at a few days short of 5 months and does not stop going 100 mph. She got exposed to a lot of feathers this weekend at duck camp. She retrieved dead ducks and geese in the yard after our hunts. The goose was a bit big so I chopped a wing off and worked with that after she picked it up and barely made it back a short distance to me. 

1 person likes this
    • delcecchi

Posted

Maybe that is how they can stay in business 

• SkunkedAgain
      Maybe there is a market out there for higher end food on Vermilion. If I were in the restaurant business and felt that way, I would probably operate that restaurant on the other end of the lake where it stands out from the competition and benefits from the higher population density and bigger cabins/wealth. In my mind, what the west end has always wanted is a fun place to hang out, get a beer, and swap fishing tales. You don't need $20 bloody mary's to do that or $12 burgers. Most people would be happy with a Heggie's pizza, some wings, or nachos with melted cheese....accompanied by a mug of Schells/Leinie's/Bud and your occasional can or bottle of something more fancy like a Surly. No need to make this a high-end sushi joint or something that it's really not. Those seeking a fancy meal will seek it out as necessary. The masses will just avoid the joint if it isn't to their liking.
    • BSLNORTH
      We did pretty well duck hunting and I thought there was a lot of shooting around. Spent a few hours in the woods checking stands and didn't see one grouse. Lots of deer sign.
    • rundrave
      I think you need to go back to basics. What you are trying to do doesn't have to be reinforced in just the boat. You need that dog to obey and listen to each command you give. If you are trying to get her to sit/stay then that's what you need to work on. You can practice and work on that command every time you open the door to the kennel to let the dog out. You tell her to sit/stay and you open the door. If she doesn't you know close the door and repeat. Every time you give your dog a bowl of food don't just give it to her make her sit/stay before she get its. There are  varieties of situation that the sit command can be used for. Start with small exercises and work your way up to bigger more complicated tasks, repetition, repetition repetition. Be sure to praise and always try to end work on a positive note.  I think the most important thing is don't give a command you cant reinforce.
    • Musky hunter 82
      I made it out last night, saw a small buck and a nice doe at 20 yards but to quite to hear them and since I'm in some really thick stuff I didn't see them until they were on top of me.  Also saw another deer 40 yards away but couldn't tell what it was, then spooked something behind (not the direction the deer normally head to in the evening) me as I was getting down.  Almost had a Coyote in the CRP grass when I was walking out, big sucker and the second one see in two sits now (one by my wife and now by me), the land owner said that they are coming up on to his yard now.  I've hunted this ground for 12 years and this is the first year I've seen a coyote while hunting. Here's a couple of views from the stand, going to move it to the edge of the CRP field that is about 30 yards behind me.
    • paceman
      Made it out for a very short sit Saturday Night. Thunder storms had my son and I scrambling for the truck. Our view. Lots of good deer sign in area.