Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
instagator2005

service your boat in Duluth area

10 posts in this topic

Hey, just wondering where a guy can bring boat for good and not too spendy service for merc cruise and drive servce for winter? And any storage places around cheap??

Do you mean to get it winterized? Get yourself a manual, it'll have the procedures. Start out by adding a fuel stabilizer. Put the muffs on and run the engine long enough for the treated gas to reach the carb. Then you'll fog the engine through the carb while its running. Go on to pulling the spark plugs and fog the cylinders. Next you'll drain the water out of the engine(the manual will show you all the drain plugs and petcocks. With the engine is warm I change the oil and filter. When thats done I replace the drain plugs and fill the block with antifreeze to protect the parts from rusting and just in case there was a pocket of water that didn't drain.

Now is a good time to replace the fuel filters and the water separator.

Your pretty much done with the engine, now you start on the drive. Remove the upper drive and grease the splined shaft, again the manual will walk you through those steps.

You'll see the u-joints that attach that shaft, if they have a grease fitting give them a shot.

While you have the drive off inspect the drive bellows for cracks. Replace the drive and drain and replace the lower gear oil. Grease the gimble bearing(manual will show all the fitting on the drive and what recommended grease to use.

Once your at you storage location lower the drive in the down position and pull the batteries out for the winter and remove your electronics.

Or pay to have a shop do it. RJs or North Country winterize boats.

where are theses places??? Thats what i was wondering, I live in Hastings,MN not from Duluth area. I do most of that stuff already just want the drive part done. And nice to know of a place that works on mercuruisers just in case also!!

Your welcome.

Both are on hwy 53.

Give Dave Lindemann a call. He runs a small shop over in Superior, WI. Great guy, great service, and very reasonable prices!

Granny

Granny please e-mail me on this and I will clarify for ya.

I would go to Dave before any shop in the area. Way cheaper and better attention to detail. I think he is in the book or contact me.

Ok!! Is he in the book? Like I say guys Iam not from up that area, can you give me his number?? So he works on mercursers too?? Just in case ever need work done?? Thanks

If you cant find him in the Superior book e-mail me.

Guys!!! Hate to sound rude, but I dont live up that area, I dont have a phone book for the Duluth area. Can on eof you please give me his phone number?? Would be great, Thanks much

Quote:

I would go to Dave before any shop in the area. Way cheaper and better attention to detail. I think he is in the book or contact me.

Did you read Northlander's post? Email him, his addy is in his signiature.