Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VMS

UnderArmor Base Layer

14 posts in this topic

question for anyone who has it...

How good is it? does it wick away perspiration well and is it comfortable? I am needing a new base layer and have been eyeing this stuff up for a year now, but have not heard of anyone's experience with it.

I have been using the old cotton stuff you can buy at walmart, and it works fine, but on a walk, it's wet, then I get a bit cool...

thanks for the opinions

Steve

I tried it for the first time last year and was very glad I did. It wasn't that cold out but when I was stomping through the woods trying to push some deer out for the other guys (already had mine grin.gif) seemed to keep me pretty dry.

Its the best stuff out there as far as I'm concerned. Worth the price which, admittedly, is outrageous...

This stuff is great. Takes the moisture away from your body and still provides warmth. I use it anytime i wear layers.

Under armor has been around big time for athletics. Thing you need to look at when purchasing under armor is to make sure it's what you want. Because of sports we use it a lot for the football players with pants and shirts and some use the head deals. It does help when your sweating to dispurse that sweat through out. They make warm under armor and Cold Weather under armor. there is a difference between the two in the texture and price. For drives it's nice to have the thin one then change afterwards if you can makes a big difference. The cold stuff our football players swear by. In crookston our college team can't practice inside and it gets cold up here and the boys from GA and AZ swear by it. It's worth its weight if you get the right stuff and dress in layers and it works as a great 1st or 2nd layer. Better then the wool long under wear.

I have the warm weather stuff and it really does seem to keep you cool and dry. I have not tried the cool weather stuff yet.

I have the cold gear and was impressed last year with it. the only thing I will caution you on, is that it fits differently than other cloths. it sucks down pretty tight and will show off your six-pack abs. Notice I said "your" six-pack abs and not "mine". There is no restriction of movement, which you will not believe possible when you first put them on, but it is true. All in all, I would recommend them for sure as they wick so well.

Do they make this stuff for tall people? I can never find Under Armor in tall sizes. Also are there any knockoff manufacturers yet that sell this stuff at a lower price point?

I got to use both the cold gear and the heat gear, they both work great! I wore the heat gear most of the summer fishing and it helps on hot days, the cold gear is awesome for warmth. You can also get loose fit wich is nicer than the compression stuff (does not show off your less than six pack abs!) laugh.gif It is definatly woth the money.

I bought one of the loose fit shirts. It seems to work ok but I'm not sure it’s worth the big bucks that they want for it. Can you say 'pay for the advertising’? I have several other polypropylene shirts that work just as well for 1/3 the price. Check the ones at Walmart. Anything that says polypropylene will work. Another thing I like to do is get the sleeves cut off (and hemmed). That way in the early season you can wear the short sleeved polypro with a cotton long sleeved shirt, you get the wicking action yet you have the warmth of two layers.

I have the cold gear and would not give it up for anything else on the market.I sweat a ton even when I am doing very little and never ever feel damp.If you keep a eye on ebay there are deals to be had.

I've tried it, and like it. I also like Contain shirts from Cabelas. They are made for deerhunting and have detergent build into the fabric, but they stay dry even when you sweat. I've got a few Nike tight fitting nylon type shirts that work about as well and were about half the price.

Can you buy just the bottoms or the tops? Just out of curiosity...for the cold weather gear...what's the typical price and what stores carry them? From the sounds of all the posts...probably a good product to put on the wish list.

Thanks.

I was looking at my Sportsmans Guide sale catalog this morning and they had the Under Armour shirts priced at $60 and on the opposite page the polypropelyne shirts were $18. Granted those prices are probably high but you could buy three of polypro for the price of the Under Armour... Sorry I have too many other toys to buy, I'll go for the cheaper polypro shirt that will work just as well.