• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

updated scouting pics

tjm

1st pic is a solid 150 class buck in the brush eating accorns and rubbing off whats left of his velvet.This buck is located just off the highway about 200 yards out in the down pooring rain.I stopped in the farmers place this morning after i took the pics and got permission.I never told him how big the buck was i just asked if i could bow hunt

140buck.jpg

Second pic i took is about 15 minutes before it was light enough to see with a naked eye.Shined my spot lite into the field in hopes to see the monster and this is a buck that gave me a solid pose.He must have some of the same Genes as big boy cause his frame much smaller but looks real close without all the extra stickers.He does have 1 scoreable kicker and 2 smaller ones starting and he is a 9 pointer since you guys in here wont let me score him as an 8.Plus there is plenty of camp meat around him.The Deer right behind the buck is the 8 pointer i been watchin for a few weeks now.This is a 1st time seeing this buck.Just goes to show now that the beans have turned so did the deers feeding patterns

Just wanted to add last seasons 8 pointer(9) to you guys so ya can compare the 2

shooter.jpg

Picturefemales004.jpg

Last pic i took in the same field around 9am the last of the deer to head back into cover and it looks like camp meat all the way as i have a stand about 20 yards away on the trail shes about to take into the wood line.I was on my way out to this stand to see what trail these big bucks been working most.I came up on the hill and there she was lookin at me

campmeat.jpg

tjm- Great Pics!! Just curious what part of MN or if you are from MN you are getting these pics?? I have only seen a few mature bucks in my day, not a couple a day like you seem to see!!! I hunt the farmland of Central MN(St. Cloud area). Plenty of big bucks are taken, but plenty young deer with lots of potential are taken as yearlings too. JUst looking for tips on how to locate a mature deer to hunt~ Thanks for any info and for sharing your pics.

Coach

1st thing i do is after all the seasons have closed i drive around and see whats actualy left.This will give me a pointer where to begin my search.Once i find a few bucks that i think will be nice ones next year i right down the date/what section they were in and what the head gear scores how many points and guessing the age

I then drive around take a good look at the lay of the land and try to pin point what section he probly came from before heading to his winter feeding/bedding grounds.

I also look very close at crop placements.Looking at fencelines remembering where this lil bush is at and that rock pile ect..Kinda hard to see those places when the crops are up

If i have a real good feeling about this area i start asking permission.If i cant get any i stop wasting my time and move on to another area

I'll go for a walk if woods are available and see what all went on during the season.Looking at rub lines and how big he probly was.Looking at bedding area so i dont over step my self come next season.This is an easy way to find trails that bucks like to use.Might even be a good time to trim up some trees for a stand.Maybe come across a shed or 2

About the end of June - July 1st just before the corn gets to high to see antlers i go for a cruse looking to see if i made some good calls on where these bucks came from or ended up at for the summer.

Once i have found 1 or more i'll take a drive every other weekend until Aug to see what he or they are up too.

Come Aug i start looking a lil more harder.Most deer have a full set of growth by now.Knowing what he will look like after he rubs off the velvet is a key.Most people think 110 class bucks will be a 150 inches when there in velvet Some days i put on 20-300 miles.Some of those days i see as many as 20 shooter bucks and some days i dont see any.

Once i find a big buck i watch him every chance i can get.Might only be once a week but i wanna know what he's doing on every wind we get and on cloudy days rain days sunny days and moon phase.Some times i'll go on a certain day knowing the weather and wind direction just to see if i was correct on where he will be at that morning or evening.

Once i get his pattern down from the road i start to close the gap

I'll get to a certain distance where i can see whats going on with a naked eye.Not so close i'll be seen but close enough to get a better idea so i can move in about a 100 yards or less from him.Once thats done i get right in the middle of the action and this is normaly 20-25th of Aug and start putting up a stand.When i place a stand i make 2 or 3 other places i can move this stand to if he moves on me to far for a shot.This way you got your sent 1 day in the area and not just in 1 place plus you have an easy out to move a stand the same day and hunt it.(Remember these bucks dont get big for being dumb)If your hunting fence lines between corn you dont need to be sent free as much.Deer feel prety safe here once or twice you get busted 3 times with sent he's gone

More then not a big buck will work low ground in farm country.So i make an area for a stand in the lowest ground i can see in the area he's been at.I might put my stand there or i might put it down 100 yards but i do make a spot there to move to cause as the season moves along he will evenualy use that area more and more

Now comes the weather.On normal years i get about 10-15 days hunting this stand before the deer will move to greener pastures.Most of my early season stands over look a bean field.Those stands are prety much worthless once the beans start to turn yellow unless you have low ground thats still green to hunt over but once the beans are picked that buck will return.Finding accorns or grass is the next 2 weeks of getting a shot at him

Now keep in mind where most of the does have been while your try'n to get this buck cause once 15th Oct comes along you need to be moving that stand closer to the gals.Some times you'll get lucky and have all the deer around the same area.Thats a plus and a half if that happens

If you dont have this buck by now you did not do your home work unless another hunter messed you up and he got to smart on ya.This happens to us alot not even knowing it until i see some clown come out right in his bedding area a few days later.Then this guy walks by the stand and says having any luck.GRRRRRR

Early in the season i'll do some spot lighting to locate some big bucks too..Never hold that brite light on the deer to long and dont keep going to the same field he will be gone.This works great locating a couple mile area of a big bucks home area then you can start doing a search during day hours to locate him as well

I'm located in South Central MN, i hunt

close to the south border all the way to the east border and almost to mankato up to lakeville

If he's big i'll work on him until he gets bigger.We go after a few different bucks over the season.Sometimes things go bad get blown out he did something he never has done before or the wind switches while hunting.Or we just choke and over shoot it.I never give up on a deer unless i cant go on the property or he is 1 that does'nt have a set pattern.He roams all the time and theres not many like that but a few

It sounds like you should have a good year. It is amazing how many big deer are around that have never been seen by the people that live in the area. I will be after the big one I missed last year. That was one of those situations where I just choked. Good luck this year and make sure to let us know how you do.

By the way that is a heck of a nice buck you got last year.

Dang it Brian; how do you expect me to sleep at night showing me pictures like that. That thing is a toad of an 8 pointer. Might make B&C. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Thanks for the info TJM. I can't put in near the time you do, but those are some great ideas I need to try. I just hope to have a chance at a buck luck that someday!! Good luck this weekend

Dock boy

Actualy i dont do as much as it sounds like.Some of my scouting i'm talking about might be driving to another town but i'm always looking out my side window.Sometimes i'll just stop in an area that looks good look around with my spotting scope for a minute or 2

If i was hunting alone i'm prety sure my scouting time would be down to a min that anyone of you can do.It boils down to this.Do ya wanna shoot a big buck year after year or do ya wanna get lucky and shoot a couple in a life time

Hopefully on your wall if everything works out for you, and you make the shot! Awesome pics, and good luck!WOW that is a BUCK!!!!

rippinlips

I hunt the eastern side of lakeville.Years ago i hunted yotes in this area but got tired of the pressure and smart yotes.Have a few sections i am able to bow hunt so when i'm up that way i try to make a round about way home and see whats going on if anything.

Some realy big bucks over there but hard to get on land if you dont know anyone.Plus a few toooooo many none hunters.

I hunt the west side but I was born and raised in lakeville and am very familiar with the surrounding areas where about on the west side. Ya getting on land if you don't know anybody is real hard. That's why it helps to have growing up here ya know everybody, and it helps when your parents own a bunch of land here.