• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What would you do?

walleyewizard

First off, let me say that I am a supporter for using 2 rods while fishing and do it often when on the Mississippi and in South Dakota. I wish Minnesota would open it to inland waters too. BUT, the law is the law! We were fishing a local lake (Zumbro) for some panfish last week and a couple of guys in a red and white Warrior come trolling by us. It was quite obvious that one of the guys was fishing with 2 rods. This kind of stuff really p*#@+s me off and I was going to say something to him, but didn't want to make a scene in front of my fishing partner. Just wondering what fellow FM'ers would have done in this situation. I mentioned the color and make of his boat just in case he checks this site and perhaps will think before he does this again. Maybe next time he won't be so lucky!

There was a guy from Green Bay out on Vermilion using 2 lines and really didn't have a clue MN allows only one line. Not really a good excuse, but some people just don't check the regs before getting out there.

Probably should have said something and if they then blew your off...TIP.

I told a guy on Lake Zumbro last year that it was illegal trolling with 2 lines. He said he didn't know the law and thanked me and then reeled one in. But it was a red boat...hmmm...

Earlier this summer a friend and I were fishing on Pokegama in Pine City. We were trolling along a weed line where a guy, by himself, was bobber fishing with (4) lines (he must really like to eat fish). As we approached he reeled in his extra lines. When we past him, I said that the DNR was on the lake checking boats and that he should be careful fishing with all those extra lines. I think he got the point.

i'd advise them of the law, and if they did comply great, if not oh well, just let em fish no need to be a narc!

just my .02 cents

Quote:

i'd advise them of the law, and if they did comply great, if not oh well, just let em fish no need to be a narc!

In other words if you saw someone poaching you would turn the other way no harm no foul? Sorry man not with ya on that one, we all need to do our part

Troutmaster you can call it being a "Narc' but I call it protecting the resource for the future. TIPS and the DNR rely heavily on the publics help and I have absolutely no problem using my cel phone. I have several DNR numbers and tips on speed dial. grin.gif

I can't agree more, Northlander. I don't care what it is. When someone is in violation of any law it is our responsibility to take action. In most cases, it's probably best to just make that call but sometimes it calls for personal action.

To me, doing nothing makes one an accessory.

Bob

I would actually recomend you just make the call. So many more head cases on the waters, and elsewhere, these days that I avoid any confrontations as much as possible. You never know who is a wackjob willing to take a shot at ya! frown.gif

Its sad but thats the world we live in today.

Quote:

To me, doing nothing makes one an accessory.

Legally? A few years ago I was out spring crappie fishing with a buddie that does way more panfishing than me. We were in my boat and he throws out a second line. I said "I don't think you can do that." He replies, "You can when your icefishing (whats the difference or is the law different)." I just shrugged my shoulders and said, "its your fine." At the time I really wasn't sure what the law was but I KNEW I could have at least one line so I just used one.

Would I be liable if it is a person in my boat, or is it person to person?

Quote:

Would I be liable if it is a person in my boat, or is it person to person?

Knowing the law why would anyone in your boat even try that? In my boat it's by the book or you fish from the shore. Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

To me that seems alittle harsh to call the warden on someone without even attemping to let them know they are breaking the law, maybe they didn't know (i've broken the law many times without even knowing it) and ya if i see someone poaching or Obviously knowing there breaking the law. Then of course i'll report them. i'm just saying you can't go around and assume everyone's a criminal out to break the law thats all.

In other words if you saw someone poaching you would turn the other way no harm no foul? Sorry man not with ya on that one, we all need to do our part

No that's like comparing murder to a trafic violation, yes they are both breaking the law but one is way more severe then the other. Nobody is perfect. Have you ever drove 56 in a 55 MPH zone? or wear your seatbelt everytime you get in a car? if you answerd yes to any of those questions that must mean that your a criminal who breaks the law shocked.gif

According to some of you.

#1 using two lines to catch fish is poaching.

#2 calling TIP is not "narcing"

#3 using two lines is not like driving 56 in a 55 zone [come on]

#4 not wearing your seatbelt dose not have anything to do with poaching but fishing with two lines dose.

IMO

according to the dictinary

poaching is

–noun 1. the illegal practice of trespassing on another's property to hunt or steal game without the landowner's permission.

it is confused.gif

In my mind it all comes down to integrity and personal responsibility.

For those not familiar with the basic rules of angling they can simply ask. For those who willingly and knowingly violate the rules they have given away the one thing they truely own there personal integrity and no fine, warning, or reprimand can get that back.

Or it can be used as a transitive verb...

1. To trespass on (another's property) for fishing or hunting.

2. To take (fish or game) illegally.

3. To make (land) muddy or broken up by trampling.

4. To take or appropriate unfairly or illegally.

5. Sports. To play (a ball) out of turn or in another's territory.

ok thanks for clearing that up for me caseymcq.

i'm only trying to make a couple of points here, i'm not trying to say poaching is ok or that i support it because i do not.

#1)if you break the law yourself,(doesn't matter how minor)do you really have the right to turn someone else in, would you not be a hypocrite?

#2)Some laws are more severe then others, just because i wouldn't turn someone in for using two lines, does not mean i wouldn't turn someone in for catching over there limit. it's just a personal choice.

#3) you shouldn't assume everyone is breaking the law Intentionally.

CALL TIP, CALL TIP,CALL TIP, CALL TIP !!!!!!!!! You get the drift of my answer?? any one who fishes there knows the law on that body of water ,they just figure the can spot the warden b4 they get too close and catch them fishing illegally(those fisherpersons just DONT CARE about regulations)I have seen it and always call TIP grin.gif

The LAW is the LAW

The American Heritage DICTIONARY of the Engish Language [POACHING]

#1 to take fish or game in forbidden area

#2 to take fish or game from another's property

#3 TO TAKE FISH OR GAME ILLEGALLY

#4 to cook in boiling or simmering liquid

I might have the updated book,here is one more just for fun

INTEGRITY

#1 rigid adherence to a code of behavior

#2 the state of being unimpaired; soundness.

#3 completeness;unity-SEE Synonyms at honesty purity.

If I see an obvious violation of angling laws, I'll call TIP. I won't assume that a person is poaching, but if I'm pretty sure, I'll call TIP and have an officer sort it out. If the violation isn't serious, or if the CO or sheriff thinks the poacher in question didn't properly understand the law, I believe they have the ability to issue a warning w/o a fine (which hopefully gets on their record). That way if they do it again, the full weight of the law is brought down on them. It also serves to educate the people who are honestly ignorant. There are those few people who go fishing once every couple of years who don't pick up a copy of the regs when they buy their license. The CO can sort that stuff out.

Personally, I had a scary experience with a CO where my fishing buddy forgot to bring his gear and his license, but was already at my house. He said, "What are the chances - I've never been checked before" to which I rolled my eyes but as his house was a long detour from where we would be fishing I grudgingly went along - I let him use my best rod and reel and we shorefished a local lake. Of course along comes a CO with the usual "Beautiful, day, isn't it gentlemen?" at which my heart sunk. Goodbye, favorite rod & reel. "Of course, you probably know what I'm here for. Licenses, please." I showed him mine, and my friend stupidly looked in his wallet, where, of course, his wasn't. He told the CO the truth, which was he left it at home. I asked the CO if he could use his driver's license to verify that he had purchased one. He sighed, and said, "if I walk all the way over to my truck to verify this, it's going to check out, right? Because I'll be extremely upset if you waste my time!" My friend said he really did purchase one. The CO was kind enough to verify it, and reminded my friend to keep his license on him at all times when fishing in the future. He probably didn't have to check it, but he did, and that saved me from losing the gear that my friend was using.

Lessons learned:

1. ALWAYS have your license on you (they may be able to verify with your driver's license, but why take the chance?)

2. Loan your fishing buddy the crappy gear that you would've sold for $10 at a garage sale, not your top-of-the-line tackle.

Dave D (still stupid, but wiser wink.gif )

Usually I will ask someone if they know what they are doing is illegal. If they continue it, then I call tip.

As for those of you who say its ok to drive 56,57,or whatever in a 55 but will call tip for someone fishing or hunting illegally. You are hypocrites. The law is the law. Breaking a traffic law is no less a crime that breaking a fishing reg. Be thankful the State patrol doesn't have a tip line as effective as the DNR.

Wade you can call in driving violations as well as gaming.fishing violations. 911 will investigate just as TIPs would.

Hypocrites for driving 56 57 in a 55 if that is being a hypocrit than I'm one,

laws have diferent price tags for what you did wrong [ticket]please corect me if I'm wrong but are you saying that if I drive over the speed limit up to the cabin, and the next morning I see someone poaching if I make that call to TIP I'm a hypocrit? if so I'm glad to be one,

I'm sure alot of guys speed up to go fishing it might even be comon grin.gif but when they get there and see a guy with 25 walleyes over his limit and call TIP that makes them good fishermen IMO

Let me just play Devils advocate for a moment.

Quote:

POACHING 4. To take or appropriate unfairly or illegally.

I noticed the word: unfairly. So, what is more fair to the fish/fishery? A guy in a canoe with two cane rods, plain hooks and corn. Or 4 guys in $25,000 boat with high tech flashers, depth finders, fish sound imitators (yes, they have those now), underwater cameras, and all the new tackle in the world (rods, reels, lures, bait, etc.).

True one may be illegal, but the legal one may actually do more harm to a fishery. I don't support breaking the law, but I would support changing the law to allow two lines.

Personally, I wouldn't call TIP unless they ignored my advice on the law, or they were going over the daily/possesion limit. To just up and call the TIP line the moment you see a minor infraction is a little rediculous.

TNFL, Good point. I agree 100%.

Most of the people I float by I talk to anyway, so I would bring it up but unless the guy is a complete a**hole, I would keep my phone in my pocket.

Was the guy catching anything?