• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

weird/unusual/scary/suspenseful/unexplained things while hunting?

USPENAMC

Bow hunting on Halloween as the woods gets dark around u is an erie feeling....Perhaps these screams everyone is talkign about are injured Rabbits??? ive wounded a few rabbits before and omg do they let out some nasty screams....but hunting on the ol farmstead around brainerd is always spooked the crap out of me. We walk down this crp into these fairly thick woods. about 40 yards in is an old farm house wiht the glass in the windows still intact... Walkign by after bowhunting at night and u can almost feel somewone watching u as u walk by...If u look quick u can almost swear u see somone in there but its prolly just my head.... ooo.gif

Two weeks ago i was Dall Sheep hunting in Alaska at one of my buddies families cabins(he lives in AK). Well I shot a nice ram about 7 miles back in the mtns from the cabin. We got the sheep halved and on our packs by 7 p.m. and it got dark at 9. About the same time it got dark it started raining/snowing on us as we were trying to hike down a rock/water chute from atop a high ridge, i've never felt so small and vulnerable in my life. Well finally at about 4 a.m. we got off the mtns and felt totally relieved and thought nothing of the 2 mile hike through the spruce and alders to the cabin until we sat down to rest and my buddy sat right next to a steaming pile of griz terds. That 2 hour hike in the dark through the bear infested spruce with a dead animal on my back was a experience i'll never forget, we were both on edge, every little movement we saw we pointed our guns at right away, luckily my buddy had a harmonica which he played pretty much the whole way back to the cabin, not sure if harmonicas ward off bears but we never seen one the whole way back so that works for me.

now aren't you glad you didn't go bow hunting for that sheep. atleast you had some protection from bears with a rifle rather then a bow. Still a scary story.

Hey zach- never seen you post before. Must be rough living up there. You going to be around here this fall??? The swamp has lots of ducks this year, should try a hunt together when you come home. Later Chris

Last year, I saw something that was rather interesting. I was sitting in the stand and there was a little squirrel making a racket behind me (running, barking, rustling leaves, etc). I tuned it out until I heard this big crash that just about made me jump out of my stand. I turned around to see the little squirrel in a hawks claws. He just sat that for a minute, then flew off. Needless to say, the other squirrels did not make much noise after that - Silence by intimidation!

Chris,

I'll be home Oct. 13 through the 23rd, my weekends will be filled with pheasant hunting but if you can make it a day during the week i'm definetely down, it's been about 3 years since i've been out to the swamp. Send me a email and let me know if you can make it for a day, later.

[email protected]

1 full moon night we were out calling yotes.Many years ago when they 1st arrived around this area.Well we were calling i was facing north and my friend was facing south.I could hear 1 comming in on the crunchy snow.Couple seconds later it was like right on top of me.I turned my head just a lil bit to the left and i saw a puff of steam come over my shoulder.I had my back against a big ole tree.My hair on 100% of my body stood straight up.Actualy kinda hurt needless to say we never got the yote.My friend fell asleep -5 degrees

That same night as the moon was falling it got harder and harder to see but we wanted to hit 1 more area.We used electronic call at this time and set the speaker out to 45'-50'.Well about 2 minutes into calling all of a suden the call sitting next to me took off across the snow.A coyote came in on a dead run picked up the speaker cord and ran off with it.The call came unplugged and we walked about 75 yards or so before we found the cord/speaker.

Yes we were stunned.So when we get almost back to the truck(This i have never heard of nor has anyone i have asked)A crow starts to crow about 50 yards from the truck.We figured it was time to go to bed.Never have i heard a crow call in the dark i figured this was not good

I have had a lot of these types of experiences, but one that is different, yet stands out was the time I was grouse hunting on the Grand Portage Indian Reservation in a remote area called "The Gorge" on the Pigeon River. I had walked into the area on a series of old logging roads - about 8 miles from my truck. I stopped in at a small old cabin near the Gorge and read from a jounal that is kept there for people to make an entry. After reading the last entry I started hunting again and followed my dog to edge of the deep ravine which drops down to the river. When I looked down I was shocked to see a man's body laying face down in the river. He obviously had been there a fairly long time. It turned out that this man was a photographer who had gone missing about 6 weeks before I found him. It was a long walk back to the truck. Later I walked back in there to show the authories where his body was located. A million thoughts went through my head on that walk back. Apparently this man had fallen into the river near the falls and was held underwater by the current. When the water level dropped his body came out. Poor guy - I believe he was from out of state. At least he had probably died doing what he loved - taking pictures.

Some years ago I was hunting predators in the big coutry of Northern Minnesota by light of a full moon. It was a beautiful night, with no wind and an almost ere calm.

On my fourth set up I was calling, with my back to a stand of large pine, when I saw movement in the field. I immediately realized that the animal was far too large to be a coyote.

Realizing the animal was a timber wolf I stopped calling. Confused and unable to pinpoint me the wolf zigzagged back and forth trying to pick up a scent trail. Then he stopped and let out a long sorrowful howl. The hair on my neck stood straight up on end and a shiver went through entire body, when it hit me. He was calling in the boys!!

Not long after, another wolf appeared followed by another. I now have three animals in front of looking for a meal, and I am on their ground. Frankly I was not comfortable, and knowing it is not legal to shoot a timber wolf, I sincerely hoped it would not come to that end.

With that a small gust of wind and they winded me and 2 of the 3 bolted. The largest one stuck around and just looked at me, growled and walked off defiantly, truly unafraid.

I stood up and went back to the truck, had some coffee and tried to calm down. When the sun came up I walked out to the spot where I was sitting only to cross a set of fresh tracks not 20 yards directly behind my hunting position. There was a 4th animal that I did not know was there. I was so fixated on the 3 in front of me that I neglected to watch my 6 o-clock.

I have not hunted coyote at night ever since...

Quote:

I have had a lot of these types of experiences etc...

WOW,that would be in my head for ever

I have had a lot of interesting animal encounters with moose (they are weird), wolves (chasing and killing deer, following me, etc.), deer (buck attacking my dog and then circling me), you name it - but yes the experience I described was very intense and unusual.

About 4-5 years ago I was with my dad and a couple of other guys. We where up at our cabin on Leech. We were duck and grouse hunting that weekend. well we were going down a old gravel road about half way through there was a guy lying half way in the bog. He was still alive, but he wouldn't respond to anything. He had about a 2in gash in the top of his head from a bat. He died a day after we found him. The people who did this were like 15, 16, and 19 years old. Hunting for the day was pretty much over with. This is something that I never want to happen again.