Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WildBill33

Options For A 12 Gauge Pump Action Shotgun

18 posts in this topic

Hey All,

Looking into a new pump action shotgun and still debating on what to go with i will be using it for waterfowl and deer hunting wondering what the best options are for my price range of 300-600 dollars i was thinking of maybe the benelli supernova or the browning bps any feedback would be greatly appreciated..

WildBill

What ever you decide on brand or models you'll want a rifled barrel for deer and a vented rib barrel with choke tubes for ducks and upland birds. Buying both in a package will save you money.

Remington Wingmaster!

We have both Wingmasters and Brownings in our household. Wife shoots the Wingmaster. Excellent shotgun, and it has more than stood the test of time. I shoot her gun from time to time and really like the fit and feel.

I mostly shoot the Browning BPS, (in 12 and 10 ga) and like them for a couple reasons. One - I shoot left handed, and the BPS has bottom eject and an ambidexterous safety. No shell casings flying past my eyes when I cycle the action. Two- the shell casings tend to stay in the blind or boat if reloading is a concern.

The Nova looks like a nice gun, too, though I have no experience with them.

The 870 wingmaster too!

Personally I would go with the Remington 870 Express. It's the same as the wingmaster without all the pretty stuff on it, and way less expensive. I would take the money saved and put it into a good rifled deer barrel to go along with it. I would also go with the Super Mag (shoots 2 3/4 inch up to 3 1/2 inch shells) Just in case you ever go for Turkey or Geese. Just my opinion.

It's not the prettiest gun, but I've had a benelli nova for about 6 years now and have yet to have an issue with it. I shoot trap league with it and run quite a few shells through it (and have had since owning it) and have absolutely no regrets.

marine_man

I have three 870's (four if you count the boy's youth model...) that should tell you what my vote is for. By the way, the one I currently have a smooth bore slug barrel on was bought used by my father when he returned from Korea in 1952!!! It still works flawlessly!

I would have to recommend the 870 also. I had a Nova for a couple of years and although it was a great gun, it felt kind of cheap to me. I also tried finding a slug barrel for it, but the ones that were available a few years ago were more than the gun was when I bought it. There are now more companies making barrels for them so that may not be too big a deal. I have had an 870 for about 15 years and have never had a problem with it and have put quite a few rounds through it without any problems. I haven't shot the new supernova, but I think they did refine them a little and have the recoil reduction for when you are shooting heavy loads. If I remember right, last year they had the slug barrel combo's for the Nova also. I have never cared for the BPS, but not for any real particular reason, I just have never cared for the company. I think you will be happy with whatever you decide. My advice would be to go to the stores and see which one fits you best. Bring the gun up with your eyes closed just like you would when you were going to shoot at a bird. When you get the gun up, open your eyes and see if you are looking right down the rib. I have had better luck shooting the guns that I am looking down the rib when I open my eyes. Good luck with your purchase.

For waterfowl you will want to go with something that can run 3.5" shells. Remingtons Super Magnum will fit that bill. I have a buddy with one of these it is really good for the 3 and 3.5 shells but every now and then with the lighter loads for trap it would kind of lock up on him. He would really have to pull to get it to eject.

I have shot Marine Mans nova. I will agree that it isn't pretty at all grin.gif but it shoots in any condition. With mud, rain, snow, sleet. It also doesn't have problems with any type of shell that I have seen him use. Benelli's are a quality gun nothing to be scared of with them.

If I were a pump guy I wouldn't think twice about getting a Benelli Nova.

I also have a nova..bought one when they first came out...have shot trap league & hunted with it...no complaints..great gun...has more feautres than a 870..cant go wrong with an 870...but im sold on the nova

Why not get both?? I have shot a Benelli Nova for the past 5 years going after ducks, geese, and turkey. A reliable gun that shoots great through the rain, mud, and abuse. For deer, I considered getting a slug barrel for the Nova, but ended up getting an 870 with a slug barrel - couldn't be happier with the accuracy of this gun out to 100 yards. My 2 cents...

I would also go for the 870,only I might think about a Hastings rifled barrel for deer hunting.I have a couple for 2 different shotguns along with the factory barrel.Only problem is the Hasting is a few more clams.

I’ve got 2 Rem 870 s and there’s no doubt these are a premium grade gun at a reasonable price. They will shoot under any condition and require basically no maintenance besides some basic cleaning.

2 years ago, I was in the same debate as you. I wanted to buy a new gun (mainly a 3.5” for waterfowl). I was in the air between a Benelli Nova and the Browning BPS. I liked the Nova’s mechanism for ejecting only the shell that’s in the chaimber, but I didn’t care much for the paint job. See I wanted a full camo gun and the Nova has more of an army pattern. Also, the nova seemed more shaky and rattley when you grab the stock. It seemed to have a lot of “play” and clanked while working the action.

I decided to go with the 12 g. Browing BPS 3.5” with the Shadow Grass full camo pattern. I forget what that paint is called, but when you hold it, it feels rubbery and kinda just grips your hands perfectly. I went with the 26” barrel since it’s lighter and easier to maneuver. I like the bottom eject much more than the side eject as well, and the safety on the Browning is “safer” in my eyes.

Tough to beat a 870.

Ah, the "ford vs. chevy" debate of pump shotguns. smile.gif

I recently went through this same process as to which pump gun to buy. With all the choices out there: Remington, Mossberg, Benelli, Browning, Stoeger, or Winchester....and each one makes a good pump, you then have to go to what you exactly want in a gun and most importantly what fits best. Swing into one of the "Big" sporting goods stores and shoulder each one.

After shouldering each one and getting a feel for the guns....I ended up picking up a Winchester 1300 in the shadow grass pattern for waterfowl hunting. It doesn't have the 3 1/2 option, but then again...I have never needed that option and the majority of my family and friends with the 3 1/2 inch option rarely ever step up and use it. For me, with shorter arms.....the others seem to really stretch me out for the pump. The 870 is a rock solid gun...but it didn't fit me...therefore I would have hated shooting it.

Good luck in your choice!

To keep your post on track:

Your question was Benelli supernova or the Browning bps. I have the bps for the left handed reason, great gun but the SOB kicks HARD!

I have a Browning BPS Sportsman (my wife bought it for me) that I really like, very solid gun in my opinion, and still looks good, just like it came out of the box. I hunt mainly upland game, so I have the shortest barrel possible on it, and really like it. A lot lighter than my old Mossberg shotgun, but that one is still the "old stand-by".