• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishermn

Sorry about the van hope the wife's ok with you driving her van shocked.gif, Well I will be out soon ICE fishing has been to good and warm for me to be in a tree grin.gif. I will hunt hard next week I will shoot the first deer I have a shot at good hunting to all laugh.giflaugh.gif.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SKIPPERS KID

• matthothand

• fishermn

• Northlander

Well with the warm temps we have got 4 deer in the last 2 days laugh.gif with temps this good can't wait till tomorrow. watch out deer here we come we have seen so many deer at least 70 deer per mile hope I see a shooter Buck? confused.gif Well this is the best hunt I have hunted hope we get more people next year will post tomorrow smirk.gif.

Good news... I have filled my final tag! After seeing deer up to the 170 inch class and passing deer into the 130's I wound up killing a "spork". I hunted hard this year and got too picky. It was getting down to the wire here as I only had a handful of days left to hunt and with the post-rut here and gone I decided to put aside my quest for trophy horns and fill my tag. Between 8 of my good buddies we have killed 40 deer for the city and filled all available tags (Tom I'd include you in this tally but not sure how many you've killed). It's a shame we can't get more tags since this is a special deer reduction hunt and the goal is to reduce the population, not just level it out like is happening. So since this was a management hunt in the first place I felt an obligation to fill my tag. I would have liked to have taken a buck with bigger horns but I was picky and didn't have a shot a buck that I wanted. The end was near and I didn't want to be left with a tag unused when in fact I had many previous opportunities to fill it. Goal achieved. I had a good season and harvested 7 deer. Now it's time to think ICE!

Oh yeah, I'll post a pic of my 2006 'trophy' tmrw for everyone to admire.

Matt the last few days we have had a great hunting party and shooting Does. smile.gif I still need to fill my Buck tag I will not let those BIG deer walk next year great job matt cool.gif.

Matt, now that you got the deer out of the way we can hit the ice. Let me know everything is ready to go.

Blaine, let's try to line something up for next weekend. I'll track you down at your desk this week and we will talk more.

Well here he is folks, the star of the show! I indeed made him a celebrity by filming the hunt. This is the buck that was privileged enough to let me put my one and only MN buck tag on him. The season came and now it is gone. Heckle me all you want for shooting a little buck after passing up "nice" ones all season but this was a management hunt from the start and that's how it ended. Tag 5 of 5 has been filled.

s5030922nc9.jpg

Good job matt I shot 198lb Doe today what a big doe cool.gif. We will be out tomorrow as well more doe tags to fill and buck tags so hope I get a big buck or a buck soon shocked.gif.

That's a big doe! Still after a "big" buck eh? Hope you get him just hate to see you eatin a tag from the hunt. Lot of success with the does this year and that was a job well done on your part.

That is one absolute HUGE doe. Is that gutted or not? Even if not gutted that is still extremely large for a doe. The largest I've ever heard of (that was weighed) is 165 out of Camp Ripley.

Big-Al This doe was shot in the city hunt and we can not gut them in the city so it was weighed with the entrails still in. This is nice to get some of those big Does out of the city this is a great hunt smile.gif I can not wait till next year but I will grin.gif.

Yes, I figured with the city hunt regs it was probably a live weight. Still a huge deer. I suppose about 165 or 170 dressed? Sounds like you guys are having quite the time on the city hunt.

One of our guys shot a monster doe this year too, didnt have her weighed, but he was guessing she went over 200 shocked.gif I didnt see it myself, but he knows his deer so I am guessing it was a Jumbo. It is really amazing the size these deer can get to without any real significant predator threat...

Along that line, have any of you guys seen much for predators? Between our group of 6 we saw a couple 3-4 coyotesa and one wolf. No bears this year, unless you count the big sow that scared the living bejeebers out of me while I was shed hunting this spring... grin.gif

I will shed hunt this week if we do not get snow confused.gif I saw a lot of big bucks that lost there horns already confused.gif We have 2 tags left in our zone brown its down time shocked.gif.

Well the city hunt is done for me I filled my Buck tag on a fawn Buck today cool.gif I will be Ice fishing and getting ready for next years Hunt.

Glad to hear you got a bunch of them Tom. I wish they would do something like that down here. The wife bumped one with her car a couple of weeks ago, just got it back from the body shop. $3400, glad the deductible was only $120. But I don't care to own a car once it's been smashed and fixed.

I had a great year wish I could help out in your neck of the woods? But I still am trying to get frank to pass the test so he can help out in town as well? smirk.gif There is still to many deer out there we need help wink.gif so get involved one the up and coming hunt smile.gif.

Tom, i also have been checking out the bowhunters alliance website and want to get in on next years hunt. We need to hook up out ice fishing one day and start talking.

My issues, I have never bow hunted before, adn need to get myself a bow. My assumptions are after the hunting season is over, Gander and other local stores will be good/decent sales on bows?

Tom, my Colorado hunting trip got pushed back a year so I plan on doing the city hunt. If the offer is still there wink.gif

Your on man it would be fun you would love it grin.gif Just do not talk to them like I did they are great but after you name them all it is hard to shoot them shocked.gif I will hook you up call me smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone just came across this site as i was surfing the net looking for deer shot in the city hunt this year. I do not participate in the hunt, but I do know the zones and have seen the size of some of the deer. There is one in particular that i have been watching for 3 years now, making him a 6 1/2 year old. I have been walking the woods on his tail ever since i first saw him. Have not been fortunate to find the sheds. I am curious to what he scores. If anyone has seen this deer or he has been killed, let me know. I have a few pictures of him in velvet this last august off of exhibition drive. He has forked g-2's split brows, and 3 inch nontypical points growing sideways off each main beam. He also has 3-4 more sticker points growing from the base. All legal scoring points. Counting the 4 stcikers at the base, he would be a 20 pointer. Definitely pushing the 200 inch barrier. I have pictures i owuld like to post on the page, how do i go about putting them up on a post. Let me know, id like to get them up as soon as possible

Hey Shed:

Welcome to FM. Great to have you here. If you go over to the "photo sharing" board, there's a thread titled "how to post pics here" that's thumbtacked so it stays toward the top of the board. You should be able to find the directions in there you need.

Read this post here... and you will figure it out. Welcome to FishingMinnesota.com and HotSpotOutdoors!.. Great to have you with us and I cant wait to see the pictures.. if you read the directions and still are having problems.. post again here, and I will do my best to help you out!

How to post picts here.

Again.. welcome!

here i have one picture right now for you all to see of this deer. I guess i have to change how i have the rest of them saved on my computer, they arent in the jpg form, or some thing, i dont know, but for now, here is one of them. Pictures do not do the rack justice.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r5/awhitey32/deer.jpg

OK here ya go, hope you are not dissapointed. Like i said pictures cant describe the mass and height of this rack, and because he didnt turn to the side for me, you cant see all the charachter, but all in all, i was just glad to capture him on film. Let me know what you think.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r5/awhitey32/deer5.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r5/awhitey32/deer2.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r5/awhitey32/deer4.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r5/awhitey32/deer3.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r5/awhitey32/symie_s_buck_0051.jpg

You should check out the website for the arrowhead bowhunters alliance and figure out the zone that you have seen him in the most. Just let me know and I can help you put your hands on him. wink.gif

I have seen him the most right off of exhibition, actually 5 or 6 times in that exact spot, he almost was killed twice last winter when he ran in front of my car. My mom lives on the corner or selkirk and tyrol, and she has seen him under apple tree on occasion. She actually had time to count 19 points. The first time i saw him, he was in the field at the church that is on the corner of piedmont and morris thomas i think it is. He hangs out in the city, so people have to have been seeing him around. However after all the miles and hours i have spent in the woods and hills in duluth since first seeing him, I have never came across him while walking or sitting. I have always been in my car. He didnt get that big by being dumb, thats for sure. Definitely a nocturnal animal during the season. Have any of you seen this deer.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

shedfreak, welcome to HSO/FM. No disappointment here, thats a heck of a buck.

In my pictures I have posted, I didnt know how to title them or label them, there are 3 pictures of the one up on exhibition and in one of the pictures you can actually see in the bottom left of the picture is my head. I was about 15 yards away from the deer. The picture of the me holding the rack that has the head wrapped in plastic is a deer that i found dead this fall down by the railroad tracks, look familiar to anyone. Didnt see an arrow wound, so maybe it was a car fatality. The last picture with the 2 bucks, is a picture of a gigantic 8 point a guy from my hometown shot, The deer on the left is not a small buck by any means, but the big guy dwarfs him. It ended up scoring 164, I think i heard somewhere it was the biggest 8 point in the state, Wisconsin that is, atleast for the year, maybe not all time. Also, i see some people have said they have seen some bucks that have already shed their horns. Anyone find any nice ones yet, post some pics. Ive been in the area for 3.5 years now, and have seen deer lose them in november, but have also seen them carrying both sides into april. That day in april last year, i actually jumped up 8 bucks, all of which carried both sides. Is that normal for the area, where i grew up, I found that february seemed to be the prime time to go looking, but in Duluth, I have only found a handful. I was not even looking for them when i found them, the earliest one i found last year was half a 12 point in june, and the last one i found was november 3rd.

Looking forward to some shed posts.

-=-=-=-SHEDFREAK=-=-=-=-=-

Did anyone see the pictures form the two deer from twin lakes in the UP that were locked together. I don't hunt in Minnesota, since i still have WI residency, but i hunt near there, in Marinette County. Anyways, they were both 22 point deer. I will get a pic up in a second here. The story is that two hunters from illinois paid who knows how much money for a guided hunt on some huge parcel of land. And apparently, once they shoot a deer, they have to pay so much extra based on the size of the animal taken. So the story is that they figure the hunt cost each hunter on the upwards of almost 10 grand. But i guess if you are already paying thousands for a hunt like that, whats a few more thousand when you come back with a story like that. I could never afford it, but more power to em i guess.