Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sachem longrifle

Any traditional Muzzleloader hunters out there

7 posts in this topic

I use a Kentucky longrifle and shoot real black powder and patched balls in 50 caliber. Any flinters or traditional percussion hunters?

When I was younger I hunted for several years with a traditional muzzleloader. I didn't shoot blackpowder but I did shoot balls with patches. I was amazed how accurate it was (even with me shooting it). It seems that the traditional muzzleloader are on the delcine a little bit with the advent of 209 primers and easy cleaning inlines. I still have a soft spot for the old smoke poles though.

I have a .50 Hatfield flinlock and a T/c New Englander .54 caplock. I have taken deer with both. People stare at you when your at the range with the flintlock. I shoot patched balls out of both.

Mwal

I use a cap lock .54 patch ball. It is accurate and it kills 'em dead. With that being said I am looking into a new in-line loader.

I shoot and hunt with my .54 T/C Hawken. I shoot real black powder when I can (it's tough to come by sometimes) and cut patches in the field. My dad sends me a few hundred round balls every year, since my gun tends to like a .527 ball. With the right load, it's more accurate than I am. It's amazing to see the damage it'll do to a 2x4 at 50 yards...

I absolutely love my Hawken. I wouldn't trade it for any in-line, ever. Not that I have anything against in-lines, mind you. You just won't see me carrying one.

Ben

I shoot a 50 cal. T/C Hawken too. Love the old style. I kill deer in honor of my third great-grandpa who fought 3 years in the civil war with the MN Army using a blackpowder rifle and was killed in Georgia just before Sherman's big push to the sea. My dad was given a 45 cal 1862 Springfield Army issue rifle passed down through the family.

I still shoot a 50 cal TC . In the mid 80s A buddy of mine worked at a major sporting chain and had pieces from different returned 50 cal rifle kits thrown into a box. I found a mannual on how to assemble TC kit rifles and another mannual on how to load and shoot them. It was pretty nerve racking to load and shoot a gun I put together for the first time. It shoots round balls and buffalo bullets well.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• my family and I new to the area this summer we have been fishing the shore lines around maple lake and have done.  I am not familiar with the are a around here, we would like to get a few more times and ideas or how to advice would be appreciated, I also have a 4 year old we are just introducing to the sport  i don't have and am not really in fishing catfish, just to get out a bit more before things freeze up 

thank you Mike in Crookston 

• bassbouncer

Posted

Interesting headline in the Virginia newspaper this morning. The Landing is being sued by past employees for not paying minimum wage, not paying overtime, and keeping up to 50% of the employees tips that were received via credit card. 

IMG_6155.JPG

• monstermoose78

Posted

8 hours ago, ZachD said:

if you ever need another shooter let me know I would be down to shoot with you

I am always up for bringing someone else with

• RoosterMan

Posted

Drove to Ely yesterday and there were some pockets of great color. I would definitely think next weekend would be worth the trip. 

1 person likes this
    • Cliff Wagenbach

Posted

I would say that we are about 1/4 into fall colors in this area.

Cliff

• How are things progressing friends as far as Fall colors? Thinking of coming up the week

Thanks

• Stick in Mud

Posted

We've done OK out there this year. Nothing special, but better for us than last year. 

Last time out, we found piles of fish in 60-70 feet. Caught a few, couldn't release them, and stopped fishing them.  Got a couple jig rapping shallower, got a few trolling, and got a few on spinners.  No one pattern got skunked, but nothing stood out, either.

• Stick in Mud

Posted

Sorry for the late response....I suspect not many folks are building skid houses these days. :)

Our houses have steel skids.  One had wood, but we changed them out. 

• if you ever need another shooter let me know I would be down to shoot with you

1 person likes this
    • FrazerBay

Posted

Like the food and like the menu. Like the fact there are places to eat on the lake and will continue to support them.

1 person likes this

• mv61
      my family and I new to the area this summer we have been fishing the shore lines around maple lake and have done.  I am not familiar with the are a around here, we would like to get a few more times and ideas or how to advice would be appreciated, I also have a 4 year old we are just introducing to the sport  i don't have and am not really in fishing catfish, just to get out a bit more before things freeze up  thank you Mike in Crookston 
    • bassbouncer
      Interesting headline in the Virginia newspaper this morning. The Landing is being sued by past employees for not paying minimum wage, not paying overtime, and keeping up to 50% of the employees tips that were received via credit card. 
    • monstermoose78
      I am always up for bringing someone else with
    • RoosterMan
      Drove to Ely yesterday and there were some pockets of great color. I would definitely think next weekend would be worth the trip. 
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      I would say that we are about 1/4 into fall colors in this area. Cliff