• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Whitefish chain

I was wondering how well the bite is going on the chain, the whole extended family is set to hit the chain in 10 days, we go up for 5 days every year and the fishing has always been spotty on the chain but if we want to catch lots of walleyes we go to gull but redtails aren't cheap and the eyes are small. Quality over quanity is the rule of thumb this year, like to catch some releasers. Any help would be great! wink.gif

Overall the fishing on Whitefish has been good. You are right in that it can be spotty. I was up there chasing walleyes a little bit during the last week. The walleyes were a little finicky while I was there. Pike were mixed in with the walleyes. They weren't too hard to find. I found most fish in 22-27 feet of water. Tips of points and sunken humps are where I found the most fish. Marked lots of fish and baitfish on the locater but they weren't ready to eat. I was rigging with redtails and creek chubs. The fishing should get red hot up there very soon.

Jason Erlandson

Thanks for the info, we've been going up to that area every year fo quite awhile. We usually stop in at the store there maybe I'll run into you, good luck on the water

Thanks for the info on walleyes. I am fishing the chain for the first time next week. Where can I find decent lake maps? Do you carry them at your store? Also, I can't find daily limits, size etc on the Minn DNR site. Can you direct help with that? Thanks

Hello Remus and welcome to fishing minnesota. What lakes are you fishing on the chain. The chain is six walleyes with one over 20" in possession, 3 pike 1 over 30" in possession, 15 gills, 10 crappies, and 6 bass.

Will be up to whitefish chain in a couple of weeks for a wedding at piney ridge. Will have a bunch of people in the boat and planning just to troll for eyes/pike. Are the fish gonna be structure related?(Never fished the chain before.) My plan is to fish the first break all around the lake with cranks. Any thoughts?

I and my family go up to the whitefish chain every year for a fishing reunion. Last year the fishing was great for eyes, we picked up alot a fish around fish house bar and father foleys bar, we also picked up some nice eyes cranking swedes bar and island bar, tiger pattern , glass shad seemed to work well but live bait is the best, riggen with redtails is the way to go!

Walli1,

Where are the other bars you mentioned,i grew up on Cross

and know of Foleys Bar but wasn't into fishing back then!

Thanks in advance forany info.

DAVEH

The other bars are on middle and upper whitefish, father foleys is between, middle and lower white I'll be up there in 6 days can't hardly wait! grin.gif

I love trolling cranks out on the chain, last time I was up we killed them on swedes bar... Just a question for those that share my love for fishing the chain, has anyone had any real good luck on Father Foley's bar in the last few years?? We've had a place up there for years now and I know that the talk is that the foleys bar is this great spot with a great walleye reputation but I honestly have pulled very few eyes off of that lately... Seems to me the little snakes have taken it over.. Just curious how others have done out there... Thanks and keep fishing the chain!

Yeah we caught some eyes on father foleys last fall on redtails didn't do well on cranks there either lots of snakes though, swedes is a really good area last year we took alot of fish off fish house, I love that area grin.gif

Walli1,

Thanks much,could you ge a little more detailed as there

location?My dad talked out in the dirty thiries walking

across the narrows by foley bar over to the whitefish ruttger for dinner!!

Good fishing,

DAVEH

Were staying at Clam Shell Lodge starting wednesday the 20th its going to be alot of fun and like always great fishing, see you on the water!

edit: Ooops, sorry, I see you meant walleyes only, and on the chain only. I will leave my post anyway, but sorry I didn't stay on track.

I was at my cabin this weekend with grandson (small lake not on chain, but within 4 miles) and the bass and pike were simply inhaling "lite pike" suckers and redtails. Saturday we had to go back back to bait store to get more! We ended up keeping about 4 pike, a few bass and a walleye to give Great Grandpa and some others some fresh fish. But we caught I bet 25-30 pike (mostly small, biggest about 26") and 20 or so bass. One walleye was greandson's biggest ever at 23" and that is plenty nice for my little 200 acre lake.

I bet the fish on Whitefish are smacking now! All ours were on deeper water, right on the weed edge and then it drops to about 16-18'.

We even had a 16" smallie that bit when the sucker was just hanging over the side of the pontoon, only about 6" down in the water, and we were out in 17' - he must have been hiding under the boat!

I wish I didn't have to pull the toon on Sunday, but need to get ready for duck hunting. Have a fun trip!

Sounds like some great fishing and a delicious meal, cant beat fresh fish... sure wish I could be up battling the chilly fall air on the chain for the bite I'm sure is heating up... do us guys down here at school a favor and keep us posted on how the fishing reports are going, we get a real kick outta hearing all the great fishing we're missin!! wink.gif

I'll be on the Chain in less than 40 hours to start 4 days of catching, we like to call it catching instead of fishing because we always do so well. I and my four brother are bringing a combined total of 40 dozen redtails, I'm bringing the camera and plenty of film for sure, seems every year we do better as we find all the hidden treasures the chain has to offer, the last couple years have been unreal, lots of camera moments and memories to last a life time. cool.gif

Only 40 doz. From what I know of you guys that will only last 2 days. You must plan on spending a couple days with the wifes/girlfriends shopping & pontoon riding. LOL

Eyewarrior

How are you doing? Yeah in less than 15 hours I'll be on the water at the chain. Last year we really went through the bait and I'm sure it will be brothers vs brothers again this year, personally I just like to catch fish and enjoy being on the water! grin.gif

Good attitude! Just think of the damage you guys could do working together instead of competing against each other.

I'm all for it, who really cares who catches to most fish or who found them, I agree, if we share info on the bite, we could possibly excel and maybe we could get along better without all this competion, thanks!

Good luck! Sounds like you got the confidence from past successes, so go do it again! I wouldnt mind getting out on the chain myself about now, but since I cant I can only wish the best for you! Good luck

Got back from the chain sunday afternoon, fishing was really good I and my brothers boated alot of walleyes. One night we put together a nice looking stringer of 17 with the avg. fish being 17 1/2". I personally came up alittle short in the eye department but it sure beats work, plus the brothers took up the slack! cool.gif

Walli 1,

Mind if I ask you a few questions about your trip? I'll be heading up to WFC soon and wouldn't mind a few pointers. Do you mainly fish at night, dusk, dawn? I know you mostly use redtails, my question is what areas of the chain are you hitting and how deep? I'd really appreciate any pointers, as this will be my first opportunity to fish the chain in the fall and I'm a little uncertain what to do. Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

WV

We fished 7am to 11am and 2pm to 7 pm most of the days, fished with mainly redtails in 36 to 20 feet, depending on the place fished. Long snells 8-10' seemed to work alot better than short ones 4'. This give the redtail more roaming room, lost alot of hooks to the northerns but walleyes were hitting good, seem to pick up smaller ones this year. Which leads me to believe the fishery is doing well!

Walli1,

Really appreciate it. If i get the chance to get up there, I'll fill you in on how I did...probably will be targetting middle whitefish the most.

WV

Gotta love hearing positive walleye reports coming out of the chain! Its also good to hear that your party picked up some smaller fish to go along with the big eaters you took out, like you were saying, shows the fishery is doing well. Last I was out, we got some smaller fish too so its lookin up for the chain! Keep up the reports for us stuck down in Sioux Falls and not able to fish at the moment! Good luck!