Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RK

It's startin'

11 posts in this topic

Hiya -

Fall fishing has begun....yehaa.. smile.gif

Fished a little bit of everything this weekend and it looks like fall's starting to roll. Went muskie fishing Sat AM and it was slow - kind of expected it to be with the lovely cold front. Jumped lakes at 11 or so. Got some largemouths on buzzbaits and a few more on cranks out on the edge of the coontail, got a big smallie and some smaller ones on a rock pile, then at dark went to my favorite fall walleye point just to see if they were there yet...25 incher in the first 2 minutes, plus a handful more. Man I love this time of year. Only bad thing is having to decide what to fish for. Could have been warmer Sat. AM though. Spent the night in my new cabin, and the heaters aren't installed yet. Was kinda painful crawling out of the sleeping bag at 5... shocked.gif

For those of you who enjoyed the lovely cold front and bluebird skies, you can thank me. Friday afternoon I'm driving up from the cities and it's cloudy and misty - great fishing weather - the whole way...until I get to Erhard. Clouds break up completely. Cold and clear all weekend until this afternoon when I'm heading home....and get to Erhard. Then it clouds up again. I'm a portable cold front. Either that, or I need to stop driving through Erhard... crazy.gif

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

I can't wait to get out this week. Thinking about Wednesday.

Go Vikings!!!!! grin.gifcool.gif

What are the water temps looking like?

Hey Ellroy -

Fished a few different lakes this weekend and surface temps were in the high 60s across the board. 67-68 mainly. Kind of expect it to be bouncing all over for a few weeks yet before we see a real steady decline towards turnover though. With the heat this summer the thermoclines set up pretty hard, so it'll take some time to cool things down.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

RK, You are right on, fished a local lake last Thurs. 68 degrees surface temp. The walleye were biting short on a plain hook and crawler, after pinching them in half, no trouble limiting out up to 17.5". Caught the larger eyes in 14 to 15.5 fow, although picked some up in 24-27'. Heading out again tomorrow.

Yeah, I was out at Pelican last Friday evening and night and the water was incredibly warm yet - I put my hand in the water and the lake felt like bath water. That was also mainly because the cold front was roaring in and the air temp was on the cold side (not to mention there was a little wind too). I managed a shmorgasboard of fish - 2 decent bluegills, 2 rockbass, a 12 inch walleye and a bullhead! Its not the right time yet - give it about 2 to 3 more weeks and it will be prime time! The eyes are still sittin out in 30 ft yet and laughing at us...

Bison --

Keep your hands off those 12-inch eyes -- they are the biggest I can hope for! wink.gifgrin.gifcool.gif

Ha!

Well, my buddy and I are trying Pelican again this coming Friday - I'll post after we get back...

bison, how'd it go? has anyone been out lately? father in law is coming up next weekend and i need to get out and find some eyes that are willing to bite. results from the tourney on big c might sway me one way or the other.

just got home from Big Pine. Crawler Bite was good, fatheads sucked and so did raps. Had a hard time finding fish inside the slot limit but hey had fun cathing some 20" eyes in the middle of the afternoon.

Paul if you don't mind me asking how deep were you finding the fish on Big Pine? Thanks