• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gear Question

Captain B.R.K

I'm looking to purchase a new pair of hunting pants this fall before I hit the fields. I'd like to hear what some of you guys would recommend. I'm interested in staying plenty dry and hopefully burr free!

I did a quick search, went back 4-5 pages and couldn't find anything on this subject. I appreciate the information guys!

Gore-tex vs. Cabela's Dry Plus.....your thoughts on this too?

L.L. Bean makes excellent hunting pants. Another option is plain jeans with chaps over the top. I use Wick chaps and Filson also comes highly recommended.

i use filson chaps and love them the reason i went with the chaps is because if you do multiple days hunting in a row you don't have to wear the same pants every day. never had a problem with getting wet or burrs.

A few questions regarding the Filson Chaps.

1) I only know what Gore-tex can do for you. How do the Filson Chaps work for wicking & keeping you dry underneath?

2) Are these heavy pants so do you get hot in them?

3) How durable are these pants?

I know you throw these are chaps, so what kind of pant do you wear under them?!

This will be the 2nd year I'll be out with my father-in-law who is a pretty avid hunter. I'd ask him the question, but he still hasn't found a pant he is happy with.

filson's do a pretty good job of keeping you dry if you keep them waxed, but they arent Gore-Tex. I would invest in a pair of gore-tex gators (sp?) as well. Seldom do you need truly waterproof stuff above your knees and they are a lot cooler. Plus, with any waterproof pant or chap, you will get wicking up from your cuffs. Gators solve that problem.

I wear jeans under my chaps.

1) Chaps of any type generally don't wick. They prevent your pants from getting shredded by thorns and other such stuff. They help keep you a little more warm when it's cold and some will keep water out. They generally don't wick or breath.

2) You can get hunting pants in heavy and light versions. Obviously the heavy version will last longer and give better protection. Some will get warm depending on the material and the weave. I believe Gore-tex would make you even more warm. If you bird hunt like I do you are moving alot and working hard so you build up alot of heat & some sweat. The gore-tex in my mind will prevent that from evaporating as fast as possible. I see that L.L. Bean added gore-tex to the pant I was referring to. Not sure if I like that or not.

3) They were pretty durable for me.

4) I wear jeans under my chaps.

We've come to a conclusion that we get hot while we walk the fields. My biggest concern is that I want something that "will do the job.".

For you guys that wear jeans, don't they get wet from your sweet? Especially if you said the chaps don't wick or breath? I would think the jeans, when you get them wet (sweaty) they stay wet and are uncomfortable.

I'm sorry it sounds like I'm beating a dead horse to death, but I'm very interestd in being happy with my hunt come October. I'll be in North Dakota for 1 week. Last year I wasn't real happy with the pant I had. The did the job, but it would be nice to have something that kept me a little more dry with the dew, wet fields and sweat.

here is the only way i can answer your question, i don't ever remember my jeans being wet with sweat after a hunt wearing chaps. i don't think your legs sweat as much as say arms. as for gore tex, gore tex is great if you are worried about moisture because gore tex allows yourselg to breath.

Yes, they can get a little clammy when it's warm (60s and up). Wick chaps can be unzipped all the way to the top for added ventilation. I do this quite a bit when it's warm out. They still hang over the front relatively well when unzipped. I don't know about Filsons as I've never owned them but they get good recommendations too.

The bottom line is nothing will be completely perfect. Synthetic fabric pants generally breath a little better, dry quickly and won't get heavy from being wet but can rub you raw after several days of hunting in warm weather. Jeans get very heavy and unweildy when wet but generally won't rub you raw and are more comfy when you are dry or hunting in cooler weather. Chaps will keep the pokies out and allow you to wear jeans underneath. They get a little warm in the warmer weather and you might get clammy/soggy from sweating.

I've tried'em all and none are perfect for me. You may have to spend some $$$ and go through a few different setups to find whats best for you.

As far as the Gore-Tex vs. Dry Plus, I would strongly advise against the DryPlus. It is not at all waterproof unless your exposure to moisture is VERY minimal. It's one of those deals, like many, where you get what you pay for. I have a pair of DryPlus bibs I bought last year that are great in the cold as long as you're not sitting on or walking through anything wet.

Another idea is Columbia's Omni-Tech. In my opinion it is better than Gore-Tex. I have their quad parka and I sat out in a 3 hr. downpour duck hunting and I was bone dry. Again it's not cheap, but good gear is priceless up here.

To be entirely honest, I have only ever wore the Wrangler pants with the ripstop material on the fronts, and have stayed dry, unless it is raining to no end. I have been happy with those pants and they have lasted many years of hunting. I grouse hunt, and get off the beaten trail a lot, no matter what, you are always going to get a little moisture, even with gore-tex. Just my two cents.

If there is dew or it's otherwise wet I wear a pair of Cabelas Gore-tex jeans. If it's dry I was wearing Cabelas canvas upland pants. When it's cold/snowy I wore the lighter weight Filson pants. Now I just got the Filsons last December and I expect this year it will be either those, or if it's raining, the Gore-tex.

Regardless of the pants I always wear gaiters. I have not found much advantage to having Gore-tex in a gaiter except maybe in snow. The best ones I found come from Battle Lake Outdoors and are 1000 denier Cordura, they sell them at Game Fair but also do mail order. Very tough and not very expensive.

For both grouse and pheasants in mild weather I like Cabelas microtex pants under their cordura chaps. This combo is a little warm as the chaps are coated nylon but they turn aside torns and briars with ease and the microtex dries out in minutes. As the weather gets colder I add polypro longies to keep warm. I vote for chaps as you can take them off in a minute or as is often the case for us put them on when we see pheasants fly across the duck slough and don't want to chase after them in waders.

Chaps are the way to go. I bought a "lightweight" pair from cabelas 10 years ago. Now evey pair of pants I own are huntin pants (except for the ones that "shrunk" in the wash!)

I hate to make the mistake of spending to much $$$ when I can ask those that have demo'd the products that are out there on the market. Like you said gspman, I'll need to bite the bullet and spend a little $$$ before I finally find out what it is that will work for me.

I did activate my Cabela's Grand Opening card the other day and got $150 to use towards my new pants that I will be buying. After a pair of bino's and 2 digital wildlife cam's, the bill put me into the $150 card!

B.R.K. I purchased a pair of gander mountain guide series chaps last year for about $20. They are a little warm if the weather is above 60 but they are an inexpensive way to go. They also sell a pair of denim hunting pants there that will work. Let us know if you find the perfect hunting pants. I recommend the chaps for ease of removal and convenience. Good luck hunting.

I'm sure you've heard plenty by now, but here's my 2 cents.

My first pair of pants were an old Cabela's upland bib with 1000 denier cordura facing. I got them when I was 12 and I used those for about 15 years. I still have them, yhey are in good shape. I stopped using them because as I grew taller and filled out I couldn't let the shoulders straps out anymore so they creeped up on me when I bent over, plus you can't were a belt so no Leatherman. My dad still uses his pair and it's been almost 20 years.

A coulple of years ago I bought a pair of Cabela's Upland tradition pants with a 330 denier cordura facing. They have three gashes in the facing from a barb wire incident. They were great a coupld of years ago when it was about 80 degrees out on the opener, nice and light weight.

I also have a pair of the Cabelas Gore Tex, but I only use those when it is raining with a super light pair of poly pros underneath to help wick moisture or in the late season when it is cold and blustery with a heavier set of poly pros on. The 330 denier facing is pretty light weight and with the cost of those pants I'm not a big fan of wearing them all the time.

My favorite pair has been Cabela's Six Pocket upland pant. They have a heavy 1000 denier facing and will push through just about anything without me getting a scratch. I did cut the weed guard out of the bottom though, I found that it cut down on air flow plus caused my pants to twist from the knees down. Since I have removed the weed guard I have been happy with those pants.

I know a lot of guys like chaps but I have a dog and have yet to have to hop into a slough for a bird. I used to wear pants under my bibs but the cuffs of my pants got pretty muddy and dirty so I stopped doing that.

As far as wetness and breathability go I look for a pant that is cotton with a heavy nylon facing, nylon repels water quite well and dries fast and cotton breathes well. Whether you chose pants or chaps, I would definately suggest getting a 600 denier or heavier on the pair you plan to wear the most.

I only use gore-tex in the worst conditions. There are several good options out there in the under 70 dollar range (I think the six pocket panst are about $50), with your card you could get the gore-tex for extreme conditions and pick up a different pair for regular duty. Good Luck with the pants and the hunt.

As far as Gore-Tex vs. Dry-Plus, a couple of years ago I read in an outdoor magazine (don't remeber with one) that Dry Plus was rated second only to Gore-Tex. I have had both in Rain Jackets and both have kept me dry at times and both have left me feeling clamy at times. Good Luck with the Hunt.

• 2 weeks later...

I did a little more researching and took your comments and went to Cabelas this last weekend. Ended up with a pair of gore-tex jeans in Seclusion 3-D for general hunting.

I debated between the gore-tex and dry plus pheasant hunting pants. I went with the dry plus because of cost and #'s of times I am in the field. I'll be out in the field a week from Wednesday and will report then how the dryplus holds up.