Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NAMAKANWALLEYE

Grouse Hunting

7 posts in this topic

My brother in law and cousins just got their first Minnesota Bears, near Ely.

Bear Season means Grouse season is soon to be here, and I am getting excited for a trip the first week in october. Anyone seen any birds? Any thoughts on what the season might be like the first week in October, near Ely??????

Thanks.

Mark

Great job on the bears! grin.gif

Drum counts this spring were up 10 to 20 percent. Spring was warm and dry, ideal conditions for hatching and rearing young grouse. The summer drought had no negative impact on grouse. Broods were large and early, so there should be few of those half-grown re-clutch birds you see after wet cold springs.

In other words, there are a LOT of birds around for a change, and it appears the cycle is swinging back up.

Of course, you're going to have to compete with the leaves the first couple weeks of the season. Well, considering the drought, we might have an early leaf drop, too.

I didn't hear much drumming in my area and thats in prime grouse habitat. What drumming I did hear was a for a very short period. Wasn't a good sign but the grouse are dispersing now and I've noticed I have birds moving in. I'm guessing around me there were two hatches because we're seeing very young and fully grown broods.

In the Duluth area I have seen birds every trip into the woods the last few weeks. Lots of large cubies, most have over 10 birds.

Thanks for the Reply's you guys, and Yes, I'm leaving Yellowstone National Park to come to Ely to go Grouse hunting and fishing for a week.

Thats how much I love the Minnesota Northwoods.

Sounds like we should do ok, but I mainly just enjoy the fall atmosphere!

Nothin like a few grouse, fried potatoes, and some baked beans over the campfire!

Mark

This year i see families everytime i go into the woods. This is the first year in 3 or four i have seen this. And large family groups. i cannot wait. Next to fishing, Ruffed grouse hunting is right up there as my favorites

Hey longrifle, where are you from?

I have to agree, grouse hunting is right there with fishing, I wish that time of year lasted longer.

--Mark

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Rube
      Spent a few hours on Skogman yesterday. (3:00 to 6:30)  Most of the time the vexlar was so lit up that you couldn't see the lure. Bad news is that they were very small sunnies and crappies. Fished in the area of the cluster of ice houses in  24  ft water. No fish kept this time out. Good ice but getting a little sloppy.
    • SaintPaulPaul
      Another Spring-like day on Thursday. I got skunked but my buddy landed a couple of nice ones. C & R.
    • Rhino26
      Very true! Cenaiko Lake had at least 100 houses on it at 7 in the morning on Saturday and it is only a 28 acres. It is absolutely packed with fish though. 
    • SaintPaulPaul
      Even in the metro the little bit of snow pack is insulating the ice pretty well so far. I've been out 3 days in a row and haven't noticed any significant melting. The forecasted rain for the next few days will probably change things a little.
    • leech~~
      Well I started! Read bottom up. I say start emailing and bugging Joe Stewing at the DNR. And I still think Joe is wrong. fishing licenses and Trout stamps are still a tax to fish.   Hi Steve, Actually, MN has the second most native Lake Trout Lakes (116 lakes) in the country only behind Alaska. Most of which are up in the NE part of the state. We have not tried stocking Lake Trout in Big Watab due to its size (245 acres) and available habitat and forage.  We already stock Rainbow and Brown Trout and have had good success creating that fishery. Stocking another predator in a small system like this wouldn’t make sense and would likely hinder the success of our trout stocking. Big Trout Lake in Crow Wing County, while similar in depth, is much larger (1,400 acres) and has far more habitat available for Lake Trout as well as tullibee and whitefish are present which are good forage species for Lake trout. As far as stopping guiding for Trout on the lake, I don’t think that is a big issue. Guides/anglers still have to abide by the rules and regulations.  To be honest, there is really no need to protect these trout. Big Watab Lake is a put-grow-and-take fishery with a limited number of carry-over fish so as a manager I would rather see these fish get harvested and taken home.  It would be one thing if we were trying to produce a self-sustaining population of trout, but we aren’t.  We stock the lake annually with 10,000 Rainbow and 2,000 Brown Trout which are paid for through fishing license and Trout stamp sales and not tax money. Our last creel survey indicated that 81% of the anglers were seeking trout. I hope this answered your questions. Sincerely, Joe Stewig Area Fisheries Manager | Fish & Wildlife Minnesota Department of Natural Resources 1035 South Benton Drive Sauk Rapids, MN, 56379 Phone: 320-223-7867 Fax: 320-255-3999 Email: joe.stewig@state.mn.us Area website: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/areas/fisheries/saukrapids/index.html State website:mndnr.gov     From:
      Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 10:48 PM
      To: *Info (DNR) <info.dnr@state.mn.us>
      Subject: Big Watab lake-stocking   Question: Has the DNR ever thought about stocking Lake Trout in Big Watab lake by Avon MN, ?   It seems to have some pretty good depth and the Rainbows are doing well there. Although a smaller lake it is only about 5 feet shallower then Big Trout lake up by Cross lake MN which Lake Trout are stocked in to. It would really be nice to get some more Lake Trout lakes in this state. Also, I know there are people who Guide for rainbow on Big Watab lake as I had seen their ads on craigslist in the past. They boast about limits every time out.  Can something be done to stop this practice? It seems odd to use tax money to stock the lake just to let a few people profit off it by taking so many stocked fish out for their own gain! Thanks for your reply. Steve A