Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
walleye_dog

Mounting transducer on Minn. PD

walleye_dog

Was curious about the best way to route the transducer wire on a Minnkota power drive unit with a 60" shaft is? Just seems there is no reliable way to do it without having issues with the hanging loose cable.

FISHINGFARMER

walleye_dog:

Just a thought, but couldn't you make 3 or 4 wraps around the shaft with the cable before mounting it and use zip-strips to secure the cable, you should have no problem with cable hanging along side it.

Make sure though that you don't tighten the strips to tight to pinch any wires in the cable. This system should work for what you want to achieve.

Farmer

walleye_dog

FISHINGFARMER, I thought about that, but on the power drive units the whole shaft must slide through the mounting collar when deployed to use. So wrapping the cable around the shaft wont work. Thanks for the input though.

BrokenRap

Walleye dog, I ran into the same problem with the tranducer on my AP. I didnt know how to secure the cable and I too thought about zip ties but then stowing the trolling motor would be an issue. I just put one zip tie above the collar tight enough to keep excess cable from hanging down. Im sure there a better ways to do it but I did this while home on leave so I was anxious to get on the water. Im sure someone has a more innovative way of doing it though.

FISHINGFARMER

Walleye_dog:

One question to ask is what is the diameter of your connectors to the unit you are hooking up to.

One thought is you could make a seperate shaft out of electric conduit(painted black) and make mounts at the bottom of the propeller motor on the current shaft and make another extending out at the base collar of the main mounting.

Sounds like a little work but it shouldn't be that bad and would end with a dual shaft, in turn would protect any exposed wires from rocks, brush and weeds.

Just a thought.

Farmer

Bobby Bass

I have two transducers mounted on my power drive, All I did was weave the wiring thru the coiled cable of the power drive and secure the wires at the top of the shaft with some electrician tape. I also wrapped the wires with tape around the trolling motor head. Any loose wires or clamps will attract weeds, try to keep it as smooth as you can.

iffwalleyes

Quote:

I have two transducers mounted on my power drive, All I did was weave the wiring thru the coiled cable of the power drive and secure the wires at the top of the shaft with some electrician tape. I also wrapped the wires with tape around the trolling motor head. Any loose wires or clamps will attract weeds, try to keep it as smooth as you can.

Just like Bobby said. The old white Minnekotas were easier to rig because they didn't have the glide lock collar. But if you do it as Bobby mentioned it might work loose some but not that offten. Rig Right also make some cool little pegs that you can attach to the side of the trolling motor to wrap excess cable around makes for a nice clean look.

Hey Bobby do you have much interference with two tranducers on you trolling motor or do you run one at a time. I just got a new minnkota with universal sonar but I want to add my Marcum LX5 and there isn't a adapter for Marcums. So I am thinking of throwing on a second transducer but I wounder about the intereference I might experience.

TeamTracker

I have two transducers on the transom...one for an X-15 and one for an x-87 and they will interfere with each other. I contacted Lowrance for a solution and they mentioned changing the ping speed on each so they refresh at different rates, but that doesn't always work. I found it easiest to just run the GPS on my x-15, and hit stop chart so that my transducer is off, and then I can run my x-87 without any problems up on the bow. It can be a minor hassle but sure is nice being able to run 2 finders!

Bobby Bass

I have a side finder on the front trolling motor so they do not both run at the same time. My flasher and other unit are both mounted on the transom so I can't tell you if it makes a difference or not.