Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ziminmn

Shinner Minnows

11 posts in this topic

It looks like from all the fishing report posts that the bait of choice is shinner minnows. My wife and I will be on the lake in a house boat for a week starting next Saturday, fishing, relaxing, and taking a break from the daily grind. My experience with shinner minnows is that you end up with a lot of floaters fairly quickly. Any advice on keeping shinners alive and healthy for a week on a houseboat?

Also, I'm considering getting Canadian licenses. We intend to head towards the east end, near Blueberry Island or Anderson Bay and there looks to be a lot of fishy looking areas on the Canadian side. Is the fishing there worth the extra cost or should I save my money and stay on the Minnesota side?

HI ZIM.,

I WOULD BRING FROZEN SHINNERS, FREEZE A BUNCH OF SANDWICH BAGS UP. CHUBS ARE WORKING GOOD TOO.I WOULD ALSO BRING POWER BAITS ...AS FAR AS CANADA, DO YOU HAVE YOUR REMOTE BORDER CROSSING PERMITS, DON'T WANT TO BE CAUGHT WITHOUT THEM.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

Thanks for the reply Fishmeister.

Freezing them before hand is a good idea. We usually go to Minnitaki for our annual Canada trip and my experience there is that you just need some meat on your jig, doesn't matter too much if it's live or dead. Minnows still tend to out catch plastics up there for us, but Powerbaits are a good backup plan.

I didn't have my act together in time to get the RBCP in advance so we plan on stopping by customs on Friday afternoon with the paperwork and (hopefully) pick up the permit Saturday morning.

Z,

You should be able to wait in line at Canadian Immigration and get your RABC that night. I went there one afternoon and got mine in about 20 minutes.

Berng

Guys:

Just remember that you also need the U.S. Customs form I-68 to cross back into the U.S., unless you use one of the video phones.

Jeff

What does form I-68 do for you? And where are the video phones located?

I also was thinking it might be easier to walk across the bridge for the permit instead of taking the truch and boat all loaded up over and back.

ZiminMN:

Form I-68 is the U.S. version of the RABC. It allows you to call into Customs via telephone when you arrive back in the U.S. Without it, you are required to check in to customs via video phone - (I believe one is located at the landing in Ranier) or in person. From my understanding, this law has always been on the books but never fully enforced. Since 911, they are now enforcing them. I understand the fine is quite steep and forfieture of vehicle is a possibility. I order to get an I-68, you need to apply in person at a U.S. customs office. They will run a background check, take your fingerprint and picture and charge you $30.00 per family or $15.00 per person. The pass is good for a one-year perion from January 1st to December 31. Children under 18 are included for no charge - just proof of citizenship.

Hope this helps!

Jeff

STILL NOT ENFORCED...BORDER PATROL THINK ITS A JOKE!

Half of them arent aware there is such a thing. We found this out last year when we asked MN. DNR and patrols about it and none of them new it was on the books and they had to go back and check on it. Sounds like Mn. way of getting a couple extra bucks from us.

When you freeze them, do you have to do anything special?

Thanks,

BHS

I'm thinking it would be best to spread them out on a cookie sheet (don't tell the wife!) on wax paper or something so they freeze individually, not in one massive block. Then put them in the baggies. They would thaw quicker and probably be in better shape.