• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Stamps Question

I'm not so sure the gal who did my licensing tonight did it right. I got the small game license, HIP certification, early goose license and then the $15 federal stamp. It doesn't show anywhere on my license that the state stamp was purchased.

Is the state stamp a part of the small game license or should there have been a separate line item on the printed license with the state stamp charge being shown on there? I can't remember how that all works.

Oh crap! Forget it! I read my license wrong. I've got the migratory waterfowl stamp purchase listed on my license.

Duh! confused.giftongue.gifsmirk.gif

Yep, that's all done too. I just couldn't remember the licensing and all that was required. Usually I go to the courthouse here in town, tell them I need licensing and stamps for waterfowl hunting and the early/late goose season. They know what they're doing, so they just punch it up, give me the total, I write the check out, sign everything and bam, it's all done. The place I went to Friday night didn't have a clue what was going on and so I had to try and remember exactly what licensing and all that was required for her to punch into the computer. (flock of geese flying over my house right now!!)

Anyway, it's all taken care of now. My brother went to the same place today, and they goofed his licensing up so he was headed back there. I wish they would train all their employees properly on this....would cut down the hassel and confusion.

Did you ever consider reading the waterfowl and small game rules and figuring out what you needed before you went in to get your license?

This would have cleared everything up for you so you could specifically state exactly what you wanted.

It seems like it's always easier to blame the e.l.s. agent.

It would be much easier if the license buyer would come in informed and not rely on a clerk to figure it out for them.

I've stood in too many lines while some (Contact Us Please) asked to buy a "doe permit" or a "goose license".

If you tell them you need a small game license and a state and federal waterfowl stamp along with a special canada goose seasons permit there likely wouldn't have been a problem.

The time to ask questions isn't after you buy, it's before you buy.

Hopefully you will excuse my rant but it seems like nobody wants to take responsibility anymore they would rather just blame the easiest target.

For the record basscatcher I wasn't trying to lump you in with the people I referred to in my previous post.

Licensing is just a pain in the rectum!

I'm not in retail but I think most places just sell licences as a convenience AND to get you into their store so you'll buy something else, they don't make much money off them. Its hard to expect every kid clerk to know all the rules, but I can understand your frustration. I personally read over the license -twice- to ensure that I have everything before I pay them.

One of my pet peeves is the person at the grocery store that waits until the clerk tells them the $$$ amount and THEN starts filling out the check! Duh! Didn't you know you were going to write a check? Why not fill it out while the clerk checks it thru the register?

This is true, and I always write out my check as much as possible before they get it all rung up. In fact, this gal was so confused and trying to call people and such that a line had formed behind me (convenience store). I was a bit embarrassed feeling it was my fault they were being held up (which in some respects I suppose it was) so I just told her to take care of everyone else first, I'll wait and when the place is empty, we'll work through it again.

Now this is something that has been really bugging me for a while now. Don't these ELS agents have any training what so ever? The last half dozen times I've had to go into our local store to deal with the ELS system has been a royal pain. Either the "young" person working behing the counter can't figure the machine out, doesn't know how to look things up, or can't find the proper license. Its gotten to the point that I just cringe when I have to go in there to get a license. There have been a couple of times where its taken them a half hour to get things straight. They usually spend half the time talking to someone on the phone trying to get things right. Registering my bear last year wasn't a pleasant experience either. After they had it registered I asked for my envelope for my bear tooth. They had no idea as to what I was talking about. I wish that anybody who runs those ELS machines would be required to have some training on them. It sure would make things a lot smoother.

JEV

I had a bad experience at k-mart trying to get my wife a fishing licence a month ago. First we wait 10 mintues for an employee to help up out in sporting goods. We one finnaly gets there and we tell her what we need, she has to get somebody else, cause she doesn't know how to work the els machine. Someone else comes and they don't know either. After a few mintues there are 3-4 people there trying to figure it out. After about another 15 minutes they finally figure it out and go to print it off, then relize they are out of the paper for it. So now we are waiting about another 10-15 minutes and they still haven't found paper. So after being in there 45 minutes total, I just told them to cancel it and we left. Went to Cabelas and they had the license in about 5 minutes. I wonder how long it took the k-mart employees to cancel the licence.

Some places definitly have their shiz-nit together.

I went up to the customer service counter at Sportsman's Warehouse in Coon Rapids and said:

-Individual, Resident Small Game

-Duck

-Duck

-Goose

And I got exactly what I wanted in a couple minutes.

The only thing I thought of on the way home was HIP certification. I rechecked the license and HIP was on there. I just love how our DNR uses the input we give them during HIP certification to manage the resources but that data is really, really getting flawed when the clerks are not asking you the questions anymore.

Quote:

I'm not in retail but I think most places just sell licences as a convenience AND to get you into their store so you'll buy something else, they don't make much money off them.

Actually as far as I know, they don't make any money off of them. But it is still a pain when they don't have a clue.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a batch of goose hot cheese sticks and a batch of goose brats made up at VonHanson's. Minimum batch is 25lbs, with about half of that being your goose. They said the goose is too dry (95%+ protein) to go much more on the goose end. The sticks are awesome! I haven't tried the brats yet. They also let me try a maple breakfast link with goose, was very good as well. Next batch!

We do eat most of our goose cubed, marinated, wrapped in bacon and grilled. My whole family loves it. As stated before and it cannot be overstated-do not over cook! If you don't like medium rare-to medium meat, don't eat goose! cool.gif

I will only buy my licenses at a place where I know they will know what they are doing and I do it plenty in advance and during slow times of the day. I have the option to take my lunch when I want so I will go at like 1:00 just to miss crowds. I always hear of some major problem at some quick stop store and how there was a line a mile long of guys waiting to get their license. I don't feel one bit bad for those people. You take you firearms, bow, car, what ever to a place you trust or know will do it right, find that place for your licenses too. Its your butt on the line if its wrong in the field when your talking to Mr. DNR. I have never had trouble at Joe's, Gander Mountain or Fleet Farm.