Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnMickish

LOW/Red lake?

14 posts in this topic

Would there be any chance of having a two day event this year? We could always incorporate a Red Lake on Friday and then move to Zipple bay for Saturday. We could either do a combined weight or run it as two separate events.

Goinfishin and I where talking about it the other night, it kind of a shame to drive that far for only one event, and I believe most poeple took Friday off anyways.

Just a thought.

Are you talking about the winter get togethers? That has been done in the past so I would think it would be possible.

Yes, I am talking about the winter trip. I think it would be pretty fun to have a two day event, but I think we would have to cut Hansons URL score in half since he fishes it to much. grin.gif

Quote:

... but I think we would have to cut Hansons URL score in half since he fishes it to much.
grin.gif

Hey now!

I'm having the Slabfest II Get-Together on Upper Red again this winter. If people wish, we could definitely do a 2-day thingy and head up to Lake of the Woods with a bunch of guys as well.

Its under an hour drive from Roger's Campround to Wheeler's Pt.

My personal experience has been its very hard to cram a trip like that into a 3 day weekend even. You are moving so much with so much gear that it can really cut into the fishing time.

The best scenario is to wake up on Red at 5am or so and head up to Lake of the Woods, fish til about 3pm and then head back down to Red to start catching crappies about 6pm or so. Just remember to fill the tanks on your snowmobiles along the way. My dad ran out of gas last winter crossing Red because we were in such a hurry to check on the important things.

3 day weekend? No, make it a 5 day weekend and you have all the time you need. Or even better, make it a 9 day weekend! grin.gif

Quote:

Quote:

... but I think we would have to cut Hansons URL score in half since he fishes it to much.
grin.gif

Hey now!

I'm having the Slabfest II Get-Together on Upper Red again this winter. If people wish, we could definitely do a 2-day thingy and head up to Lake of the Woods with a bunch of guys as well.

Its under an hour drive from Roger's Campround to Wheeler's Pt.

My personal experience has been its very hard to cram a trip like that into a 3 day weekend even. You are moving so much with so much gear that it can really cut into the fishing time.

The best scenario is to wake up on Red at 5am or so and head up to Lake of the Woods, fish til about 3pm and then head back down to Red to start catching crappies about 6pm or so. Just remember to fill the tanks on your snowmobiles along the way. My dad ran out of gas last winter crossing Red because we were in such a hurry to check on the important things.

That is kind of my thoughts too they are both great fisheries and it is tough to really fish both as much as one should in even two days.

Northern Ontario, incorporated as well, Looking like a minimum of seven days!! Ontario on the weekend and the others mid week with less crowds. Better get Rainy on the list again as well, How about the month of February and we'll throw in some boundary waters excursions! Any chance for Superior???

Quote:

laugh.gif I remember that trip! Gas tanks empty, stuck in slush pockets and everthing coated in ice. Oh, slab crappies too!

Quote:

Oh, slab crappies too!

You got that right Borch! We got crappies that night! Lots of work and trudging through crotch deep slush but we got into 'em!

Quote:

The best scenario is to wake up on Red at 5am or so and head up to Lake of the Woods, fish til about 3pm and then head back down to Red to start catching crappies about 6pm or so.

One question, though - what do you tell the DNR when they see a full limit of LOW walleyes in your truck at the URL landing? blush.gif

Several of the launch sites will hold you catch until you return to pick them up. The LOW/URL combo trip is very familiar to all of them.

I figured there had to be an easy solution, but wasn't sure how it worked. Thanks.

BTW, Borch - I live next door to your brother. Think I'm gonna sneak out one of these times and follow you guys on ML during the Oct. full moon! grin.gif

Are LOW walleyes still a problem on Red now that walleyes are open?

I would image it would still be a problem due to the limit difference of the two lakes and slots on both of them.