Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shefland

#70 dogfish Lake Bemidji!

3 posts in this topic

Actually my golden retriever, disaster struck the other night, a #7 taildancer one set of hooks in the chest, the other in the lips, thanks to the help of a couple of others at the ramp 11:30 at night boat ramp surgery was performed, all but one hook removed, trip to the vet the next day for the other. lesson learned keep all lures and hooks away. especially at night because thats when things will go wrong. Thanks to the guys who helped me out.

We nearly had a similar incident a few weeks ago. I went with a buddy to canoe down the St. Croix up in the St. Croix State park area. We were paddling and fishing and my buddy had his 7 month old retriever in the front of the canoe with him. She sat still for probably 5 hours and 59 minutes out of the 6 hour trip.

As we paddled back up stream to unhook my rapala from a log my firend put his rod off to the side and let his lure hang over the side of the canoe. It was proably about a foot above the water and 2 feet over the edge of the canoe so we thought it would be well out of reach of the dog. But she saw the pretty orange dangly thing and just had to have it so she dove off the side of the canoe to grab it. It ended up hitting her in the chest,luckily it only got tangled in her fur. But she freaked out when she realized there was a pretty good current in the spot we were in and she had to swim hard to get back to the canoe. But we got her pulled back in and got the trebble hook out of her fur and she was fine the rest of the trip.

I guess she needs a little more training yet.

I talked with my Dad and father-in law about their experience at the dock late one night with whom I now believe to be you and your companion. My Dad was very impressed with the dogs patience while he removed hooks. Glad the dog is doing well and I'll pass it on to both of them.