• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Let's remember to set a good example

BobT

With the impending annual fall firearms deer hunting season, I’m reminded about how I can’t help but shrug my shoulders when I see vehicles cruising down our highways with their quarry draped over the rear trunk, laying on an open trailer, or laying back side down in a pickup box with their legs pointing skyward, etc.

First, this is in poor taste, disrespectful of the animal, and only serves to fuel the anti-hunters’ guns with ammunition. They see this as disgusting and something to be stopped. It is distasteful even for a seasoned hunter like me.

We eat meat and to do that animals must die, that is a fact. But to show such disrespect for that animal is truly demeaning of the process. I suppose it possibly relates back to a more primitive time when displaying the spoils of the hunt for all to see advertised the hunter’s prowess and provided a hope for the future, but we live in more “civilized” times. It is no longer necessary or even desired by society. In fact, rather than presenting a hope for the future of hunting it probably does more toward the opposite end.

Second, this is just not the right way to handle meat. If you want your venison to have the best flavor, contaminating the meat or leaving the hide on any more than necessary should be avoided. Not only does this rapidly deteriorate the flavor and quality of the meat but it also increases the risk of spoiling. In a perfect world, cleaning, skinning, and refrigerating as soon as possible so it can begin the aging process is best.

At the very least it would seem protecting the meat from contamination of dirt, dust, road sludge, highway salts, exhaust emissions, and the prying eyes of the anti-hunters would seem most apropos.

Bob

I agree with what your saying Bob, but when I'm hauling my deer to the registration station, the locker, home, whatever it is going to be in the back of my truck & people may see it. Now I'm not going to rope the head up again the back window of the cab so everyone can see it. I also don't think we should have to tarp up a deer just to get it home either. I realize you didn't say that, just playing devil's advocate I suppose.

I do think some of this stuff gets carried away though. I as another hunter always like passing or meeting a truck or trailer that I can see a deer in. I'm always happy for my fellow hunters that they were successful.

I got a little grief from a hunting buddy last fall when I shot a doe on a cool night & decided to leave her outside in the back of my truck. I wanted her to cool as much as possible so bungeed a leg to one of the stake pockets to keep her propped open as much as possible. I went to church the next morning, I was giving her to another friend from church. That leg was too stiff, it wouldn't lay down, so it was sticking up. It wasn't intentional, but it happened. I'm just not willing to worry too much about that kind of thing. I hunt deer & I'm not going to act ashamed of it either.

Sorry for the length of the post, that's just my view on it.

I remember the good old days of guys strapping monster bucks on the roof of beetles. That was awesome sights.

How times have change? If you cry enough, the fence sitters will fall to your side.

I understand where you’re coming from, Rodd. I’m not trying to spread guilt or shame just trying to add awareness. As almostthere has pointed out, times have changed. The old days of displaying ones kill for everyone to see is a thing of the past. No use in stirring the pot against us if it isn’t necessary. I too am interested in seeing how others have done but sometimes it seems to be carried away to the extreme and that is the fuel we need to avoid if we want to keep our hunting privileges. It’s just the way it is.

Bob

"that is the fuel we need to avoid if we want to keep our hunting privileges. It’s just the way it is."

So we need to bow down to the anti-hunters and animal rights activists and ask for their permission to hunt? I don't think that's just the way it is. They don't want us to hunt period, no matter how we display our dead deer on the way to the registration stations and processors. And they definitely don't have the ability to just waltz into Congress and take away our rights as hunters. We outnumber them and have way more money invested in our cause when you look at the hunting industry - big stores like Cabelas and Bass Pro, mom and pop pro shops, gear manufacturers, publications, hunting organizations, etc. Money talks. Good luck trying to beat it.

So it's more of a societal issue you're talking about than the threat of our hunting rights being taken away, and I don't believe most people who truly live and function in our society could care if they spot a deer tied to the roof of someone's car or laying in the back of a pick-up truck for a few seconds. In fact, I believe a majority of people -even those that don't hunt - think its kind of interesting, especially young children who might eventually want to hunt. Those who don't want to see it might say "gross" and then move on with their lives, respecting our legal right to hunt.

I say this with the caveat that a majority of the people I see with deer in transport do it tastefully, even if the deer is mostly exposed. That is, they don't have blood everywhere and the animal isn't wide open for all the world to see. That's not disrespectful to others and its not demeaning to the animal.

And I say this from experience at registration stations in rural Minnesota and just outside of the Twin Cities where hunters and non-hunters alike enjoy looking at the myriad of deer that come in. It's another sign of fall for many people - just not so for the handful of antis and extreme activists that try to dictate the way the majority of the rest of us wants to live their lives.

Finally, I don't think 99.999 percent of the hunters who have their deer on the roof or trunk of their car are trying to stir the pot. They're excited and trying get from point a to point b with their deer asap so they can show their friends and family that want to see it. Maybe they don't have a truck or can't afford one. Maybe the tarp would end up blowing off and they just have a short distance to go. Just because someone doesn't have their deer fully concealed doesn't mean they're trying to flaunt it. They might not have the resources many of the rest of us have. That's all.

Bow down??? So if I understand your comments correctly, we should be too proud to take a few simple precautions to not only preserve the quality and safety of our game but also respect the feelings of others that may be offended by our activities?

Are we that arrogant? It's no wonder that there is an anti-hunting group out there. This world works on a give and take...not just take. I don't know, I think it's called compromise.

Put it this way. I don't like the anti-handgun rhetoric but I'm not going to purposely flaunt my desire to own one by instigating confrontation. In other words, I certainly don't throw on my holster and carry it about town even though it wouldn't necessarily be flaunting it by hanging it on my hip. I don't have to ask for their permission either and I am not hindered from enjoying the fact that I own one and do use it for hunting and target shooting.

Bob

"Bow down??? So if I understand your comments correctly, we should be too proud to take a few simple precautions to not only preserve the quality and safety of our game but also respect the feelings of others that may be offended by our activities?"

I am with you on protecting the meat. In my case, I usually drive 5 minutes to the registration station and processor. So I don't feel there is a need to cover the deer up. That's my legal right in the society we live in. As for respecting the anti-hunters and extreme activists, let me ask you this, why would you offer them your respect? They certainly don't respect you and would never even make the smallest compromise in the favor of hunting. Their goal is to take every legal right they can away from you to hunt. That's not respecting you. It's blatantly disrespecting you. Again, they will never succeed. You read all these articles about hunting dying out just because the number of hunters are declining. But that's just because the amount of land to hunt is dwindling due to urbanization. The fact is that much more money is spent on hunting each year in the U.S. than is spent on golfing. Again, hunters money talks, a handful of antis and extreme activists with a few wealthy donors walks.

Back to the point at hand.

"Are we that arrogant? It's no wonder that there is an anti-hunting group out there. This world works on a give and take...not just take. I don't know, I think it's called compromise."

Do you think the anti-hunters and extreme activists want to compromise? They want to end your hunting, period. If every hunter and everyone in the hunting industry were to compromise a little now to their wishes and then compromise a little later to their wishes, the next thing you know, hunting would really come to an end.

"Put it this way. I don't like the anti-handgun rhetoric but I'm not going to purposely flaunt my desire to own one by instigating confrontation. In other words, I certainly don't throw on my holster and carry it about town even though it wouldn't necessarily be flaunting it by hanging it on my hip. I don't have to ask for their permission either and I am not hindered from enjoying the fact that I own one and do use it for hunting and target shooting."

You could certainly do this if it were legal in the jurisdiction you were in and I wouldn't give it a second look. This is America and if the law of the land or that particular jurisdiction says you can do something, than you can. I may not agree with it, but I'm not about to stop you. If the overwhelming majority of people in society want to put an end to it, they will though the democratic process. Which brings us back to the point of its not the majority of society that views a deer in the back of a pick-up truck as disgusting, distasteful, and disrespectful. It's a handful of anti-hunters and extremists. Why listen to them? They don't want to compromise and they don't respect you. They want to put an end to hunting, period.

chucker34 you are so on the money with this subject. Yes their is distasteful ways of displaying your deer but I agree that a deer in the back of a truck is not going to offend the majority of people and I'm not about to bow down to any anti's if you do that its saying take away my right to bear arms. I dont kill animals to kill or for mounts I do it for meat in the frezzer to feed the family, just like in the old days when thats just how it was,it was a matter of survival and if it would go back to those times I wonder just how many anti's would be around.

It is too bad there are people who get offended at the sight of a dead deer. I say too bad for them. I love going down the road and seeing truck beds, trailers, and car tops with dead deer! I also put the truck tailgate down when I get a deer to share with other hunters/nonhunters who enjoy it as well. Its one tradition I'm gonna do my best to keep alive and well - and if it ruffles a few feathers so be it.

By the way, the post/topic is excellent and I certainly agree that hunters as a group do indeed need to set a good example, it is critical. I just don't feel transporting deer in a visible means is setting a bad example. Its tough at times to accurately express your thoughts and opinions through a keyboard to others and this is one of those times so I apologize. Again, a great topic. Have a great weekend. Later.

Chuck,

I must admit you present a good valid argument.

I'm not so sure though that my piont is fully understood as I intended. I didn't mean to suggest that we need to cover our deer so they are fully out of sight.

I'd like to ask this question: what is more appropriate or respectful to the animal?

1. To lay the deer on a small flat trailer with its cavity wide open and its feet skyward not only exposing it to onlookers in a somewhat unappealing fashion but also exposing it to whatever the tow vehicle may be sending back. I have seen this on days when the road is slush covered and salted.

OR

2. Lay the deer on its side, tieing the legs together if you must, so it is somewhat closed and protected from the elements not to mention more peaceful in appearance? Corny I know but remember we're not facing other hunters.

I could get angry at the antis and purposely do things out of spite but what would that do other than lower us to their level, making us out to be the barbarian or bad guy?

I believe you are right that they have one agenda but I'd be concerned that if we don't at least try to present a more humane front, we could turn those on the fence to go the other way.

Bob

Hey guys! First of all, great topic. Its good for all of us to hear different points of views and discuss them. I'm with you fellas in the fact that I like to drive down the road and see other people with deer. This state has well established hunting and fishing tradition that we can and should be proud of. I also agree with BobT on his insight that we need to be concious of other people. This is good practice in life as well as hunting. I wouldn't go out of my way to cover a deer up but I certainly wouldn't gut one in somebody's yard or next to a highway either. As far as the anti's, I think they are against something that they don't know anything about and don't make any effort to understand. Therefore, their opinion is uninformed and carries no weight with me. I do have one quesiton though. I'm not 100% sure but I think the Minnesota State Constition was recently (last ten years or so) amended to guarantee our right to hunt and fish. Anybody know for sure? Again, great thread guys. Thanks.

I guess we all need to just use a little common sense when hauling your deer, no need to create more anti-hunters. I'm talking about the guys that strap their deer to the top of their cars while they are still warm and bloody so the blood runs down the side. When Suzie Yuppie and her two kids see that all they'll think is how mean and cruel you were. No sense in making more anti-hunters.

As to the guys that put them in pickups, thats fine with me. My ego isn't so small that I need to lower the tailgate to show them off but different strokes for different folks.

As far putting them in an open, low trailer, just think about when you hauled your mower in that trailer and how when you got to your destination it was covered in dust? Is that that what you want to eat? Tarps at Menards are cheap compared to all the time and effort and $$$ that you spent getting that deer.

I think bottom line is that you need to display the carcass of these wonderful animals in a tastefule manner so we don't fuel or create any anti-hunters. Rinse the blood off and position them in a respectful manner. As has been pointed out, that may be hard if they've stiffened up, but where there is a will theres a way. If the way you are transporting your deer would make the cover of an anti hunting poster, you're doing something wrong.

FarByondDrivn, I don't think it ever was. In fact, I don't think such an ammendment has been adopted in many states but am not 100 percent on the stats.

BobT, I do agree with you on the proper care of the deer. And displaying the deer tastefully. And I would never gut a deer in front of somone who wasn't along with me hunting - i.e., not in sight of anyone who was not used to this process. I'm all for common courtesy and not rubbing something in someone's face. It's just a matter of using common courtesy and then not letting others dictate how you live your life.

I've never been known as a man who suger coats it. Prolly cuz I'm not the most educated guy on the planet and I just flat out do not know how to talk in flowery speech. In no way shape or form do I intend to be rude, insulting, or offend anyone so if anyone out there is pi$$ed off by what I say please understand that I don't meant to upset ya.

Having said my legal disclaimer above, I absolutely refuse to be part of the "Pussification of America." If little Miss Mary Jane can't handle reality doesn't want to see dead deer going down the road then Little Miss Mary Jane can't handle reality needs to stay off of Minnesota roads between October and December.

Everyone is absolutely entitled to their own opinion. If seeing dead deer in the back of my pick up is offensive to you then do not look in the back of my pick up. No, I do not prop them up for everyone to see but there have been times that I've had to stack em in the pickup and transport to my garage for butchering.

I agree that we need to display these animals tastefully and I totally understand BobT. We need to show the animal respect as well. We took the animals life. That animal was put here for our enjoyment. If anyone ever gets a chance to hunt in New Zealand for Red Stag, you will get a lesson in respecting the animal. Example.. After a Red Stag is killed, it's head will never be lifted for pictures or to admire, the hunter also can not sit on or even step over the Stag. That would be disrespecting the animal and it is not allowed by any guide. I think we all need to give the animals we kill at least a little resepect. Buck or doe, every deer taken is a trophy to me and I will try and treat it that way.

My two cents. Great posts everyone. Hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable fall hunting season.

Mysterio

Boiler, you have no problem getting your point across.

No offense taken, because truth is I have no problem agreeing with you completely when it comes to the anit-hunters. As far as I'm concerned they can go somewhere else but unfortunately we don't live in that world anymore. Those "Little Miss Mary Jane's" out there are the ones that raise their voices loud and clear and somehow manage to get heard. My guess is there are more of them than we care to admit and adding to their numbers is something we certainly don't need.

Bob

One other small note, if I'm not mistaken at one point in time not too long ago the law in WI stated something to the effect that a portion of a transported deer should be visible. Now again I'm not sure, but for years I was under that impression and am sure others were as well. I just looked through the regs and see nothing of the sort now. So I might be full of BS(probably grin.gif) but that might be one reason for so much visible transportation. Also, if you are at a camp for a number of days and cold weather/rigomortis(bad sp?) sets in it can be tough to fit all your gear on a trailer, on a vehicle roof, back of truck, etc without having the bloody portions/legs in the air type situation happening. I think we can do more good for hunting by behaving in public - like when you got full camo or blaze on at the gas station or restaurant, than by worrying about 'hiding' the dead animal you lawfully killed and are proud of. Later all.

Sometimes there's just not another option. Here's a picture of the deer my buddy transported from my house to his home. His truck was broke down, so this is all he had. While I would agree that we need to be careful, we need to keep things real. Considering the fact that there is not a lick of blood showing, I feel that this is perfectly acceptable.

IMG_0317.jpg

Agreed Cooter and Rost. That is a perfectly acceptable way to transport/display a deer. Nothing distasteful about it. I would agree with the others that it would probably be a good idea to cover any exposed flesh, such as the midsection with a tarp to protect the meat. Nice deer by the way!

I haven't hunted in WI for too many years, but I do remember hearing about a regulation requiring the game be visible. If I recall, the theory was to prevent overharvest, or maybe to verify the deer was a buck. Not so long ago shooting does was not looked upon so favorably and unfortunately my group still follows those guidelines. Now, from what I understand, that law has been repealed because of the "little Mary-Janes" and her types. While I do see the point of those folks that want to proudly display their kill, I would have to agree with BobT. If we keep the fence sitters happy, they will more than likely side with us than the "do-gooders" therefore helping our cause.

Is it just me or do these same people that are unhappy with seeing deer that have been shot strapped to the top of cars and trucks see all the deer mutalated on the side of the road? Isn't that worse and "more gross" than one in the back of a pick up. If they had any respect for the animal they would allow us to harvest them so the number of them going to waste and laying on the road side would be less. Just my 2 cents.

Quote:

My guess is there are more of them than we care to admit and adding to their numbers is something we certainly don't need.

Bob

Very well put Bob, thats exactly the point. I like to see dead deer and everyones success but we don't need to make anymore antihunters. They all are able to goto the polls and vote!!!