• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Deer decoys-have you had success with them?

BLACKJACK

Have you ever had success with a deer decoy? What kind was it? I have one of the flat ones that has the photo of a deer on it, you slide it together and stake it down, to be honest, every time I've put it out, I never see any deer, so I don't know how well it works. Contemplating getting one of the Flambeau or Carry-Lite full body decoys, anyone had success with them?

If you do a search on this subject you will come up with a fair amount of answers.

I use a full body Flambeau decoy sometimes and have had some success with it.The flat panel style will work and are used a fair amount.

I've thought about using my Delta backyard buck because I've had does and fawns come up to it in our back yard and sniff it out before. But I hunt mostly in woods and I'm not sure they'd see it right away and it might spook them if they did come upon it suddenly.

I have a Delta & before that have used my backyard buck target. I think each have cost me one deer. I've never had it help bring in any deer that I could tell, but I haven't used them a lot.

The target cost me a big alpha doe that just didn't like the looks of that runty little buck & wouldn't come down the trail any further to my shooting lane. She needed to come another 10 yards.

The Delta thing was funny. Hunting with my brother-in-law, about 100 yards apart. We had the decoy in a hay field between us. This 2 1/2 year-old 8 pointer came out between us, a little closer to him & headed his way. He eventually winded him before he could get drawn & turned my way, then he sees the decoy apparently for the first time. He freaked out! It was hilarious, but unfortunately I think he would have come right past me, which was why we were setup that way. I think we were using it as a doe that time.

suggestion when using one. Put it perpendicular (Sp?) to you so that if someone is trespassing or walking around they don't see it and shoot it and it goes through and gets ya. Just a safety thing. I have seen a lot of shows starting to use them and put a white hankey on the but to give it some acion and make it more realistic.

Ditto that. Even on private land, you can never be sure if there are trespassers. My friend marks his mup with orange paint here and there. The deer will never notice the difference in most cases.

I don't think I would ever ever ever use a decoy during and open gun season!!! Too many yeahoos around.

I agree with using one on public land with that being a little unsafe.I use mine on private ,and with nothing being seen from the road.