Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
instagator2005

more info!!!

11 posts in this topic

I see guys use smelt when lakers down deep, but what do you guys use rest of year? In May, June, July? Do you use flashers/dodgers all year long?? And when does spring/ early summer fishing usually start up?? And does anybody fish up there in Octerber for salmon??

May first I will use smelt if the water temps are not 42 degrease I will fish in 90 to 150 feet of water. Right on the bottom with fly and dodgers. When the temp warms up I will troll the point with stick baits and as the water is getting warmer I will use dips-yes and down riggers not to deep 10 to 40 feet depending on the temp? the fish move where the bait is it is hard to calculate where they are moving to? the pattern changes fast and so does the water temp. I think fishing as often as you can in the spring you will teach your self so much that what was working will not work the next day why? well I ask myself that every day the big lake is hard to fish and the more you fish it the easier it gets I hope we helped if not would be happy to help you one on one St and northlander know how to get ahold of me if you need more help cool.gif

You say you troll the point, what point is that?? so you just stay in Duluth area then??? ever try fishing in Octerbor?? Thanks again

The point that Tom is referring to is Park Point the beach between the Duluth Piers and the Superior entry. In October Lake Trout season is closed. It closes on the last weekend of September. If you are looking for a few salmon try trolling in front of the river mouths on the north shore.

Lake trout season closes the 30th of sept,

Well guys, I did know that lake trout closes, just wondering if anybody trys for salmon and does any good?? Or does every one just call it quits when lakers closes?? Another dumb question!! You say you troll to the point, so you troll towards shore then?? Do you guys use flasher/dodgers all summer then too?? Or did you answer that question already??

We do not talk about salmon do to the fact there is not to many to target. they are the past and the DNR, will not stalk them so the trout it is you can catch one salmon here and there? smirk.gif

Hey skipper, do you have e-mail? do you use dodgers/flashers all summer then?? and when you say troll to point, do you troll east/west or north/ south??

Have you fished superior or are you planning a trip? If you're new to the game the transition of baits follows water temp, not the calendar. Stickbaits, spoons, then dodgers/flashers and flies. Sometimes i think the fishing can be more speed related than lure selection. My advice is to watch this forum preceding your trip and see what's going on...or look back at past posts and note the progression of methods throughout the season. Usually a guy can't go wrong running spoons. That's probably gonna be your best crack at a salmon too.

instagator2005

You can email me at tpfister@mac.com. I think you are willing to learn but there is so much there to type if i was good at typing i would right a book but lets face it that is not going to happen? I CAN SET LINES AND HOPE THERE ARE FISH BITEN ON THEM? smirk.gif.

Thanks again guys!!! No am done for this season, but always trying to learn more to be better at fishing big lake, only my 3 year of trying. Just getting tired of boat rides instead of catching few fish!! lol Thats why they call it fishing I know. Getting better every year, and thanks for the info, a guy can never know to much!