Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OptiMax

Sturgeon

19 posts in this topic

Anyone having any luck yet? Let's see some pics. I hope to get my first this fall grin.gif

I tried with crawlers in 15-50 of water on Wed night and no luck.

From what I've heard, they are biting quite well. The guys I know who are fishing them are getting smaller ones right now, like mid 30 inchers.

Evenings/night has been best and lots of other fish are being caught as well - channel cats, small flatheads, carp, sheepshead, and an occasional surprise. blush.gif

Here's one I caught Mon night. We caught close to 20 in a few hour span. Mid thirties average, this one was just shy of 40. As Hanson said, a few surprises also....give's me the creepies just thinking about them crazy.gif

sturgeon2006024.jpg

Also boated a tagged fish:

sturgeon2006013.jpg

What is the legal size?

Do you have to purchase that sturgeon license to fish or can you just claim you are targeting other species?

Where on the river? I've caught sturgeons before by OSEOLA by accident but where do you go for those keepers?

What do you do with the keepers?

CPR is what I'll be doing. Check the regs if you want to keep one.

Read the regs almostthere.. You dont need a Sturgeon tag to fish for them, but you do need one to harvest a fish. Its 1 fish per season over 50" to harvest.

The Sturgeon bite has shut down with this cold front. Yes, we had a couple good nights earlier this week, but yesterday we only got 2 small fish, tonight if it wasnt for channel cats we would have been skunked. Its cold and windy out there right now!

Surface water temp is at 72, it was 76 two days ago. The shad are really scattered now where they were schooled tightly a couple days ago. We need stable weather.

BTW... DTRO ...

We set some kind of record! We managed to catch an eel 3 nights running, obviously different eels each time. I think the odds of that happening are lower than winning the lottery. I wish I had bought a lottery ticket and not caught 2 of the 3 eels in my boat.

3 eels in 3 nights? Nice! I'd be snatching up power ball tickets if I were you. I'd be happy just to get one eel in my lifetime. (trying to do the life list thing)

Dave D

I got an eel the other night, too. Gross, but it was cool to see one. No more, though, I hope.

What are you using for bait? I like deep fried eels.

Mine came on a dead shad.

Well.. the eel total for my boat is now 5 since last saturday, and I know of a couple more caught. I even got to deal with a lamprey last night.. those are nastier than eels.

If my boat wasnt well over 60 sturgeon this season.. I would fish something else grin.gif

5 eel!! Like I said, I'd like to catch just one! (And maybe, only one... wink.gif ). I wouldn't mind a sturgeon or two either...

Dave D

dtro... Did you get a number off of the tagged Sturgeon? And if so, did you contact the MN DNR about the recapture? It could be interesting to find out how far that fish has traveled and how much it has grown since it was initially tagged. A friend of mine captured a tagged fish up near Osceola earlier this year. The biologist who he talked to can be reached at the following e-mail rod.ramsell@dnr.state.mn.us . Let us know if you find out anything interesting about your tagged fish.

Wow, what part of the river are you catching the eels in? It's amazing that many can make it up the river from New Orleans ... maybe they are coming back!

I would like to tell you, but cant without giving away where I have been sturgeon fishing.

The eel fishing has slowed down! The sturgeon fishing remains good. The winning fish of the Moores bait contest was a 63" sturgeon on the 16th of this month.

Quote:

dtro... Did you get a number off of the tagged Sturgeon? And if so, did you contact the MN DNR about the recapture? It could be interesting to find out how far that fish has traveled and how much it has grown since it was initially tagged. A friend of mine captured a tagged fish up near Osceola earlier this year. The biologist who he talked to can be reached at the following e-mail
. Let us know if you find out anything interesting about your tagged fish.

Personally,I don't have the number, but I believe "That Guy" recorded it.

I was out there yesterday with Papa Grump and a co-worker we managed about 15-20 with the biggest, just under 50. The bigger fish were all on cut sucker.

vladsturgeon4.jpg

I went out last night for only a couple of hours and got one 32" sturgeon, it was on cut bait and fought like a champ. Took several minutes to get him back going in the water, though. Can anyone tell me the specific dates for targetting sturgeon on the Croix?! Thanks-

StCroixer

Quote:

Can anyone tell me the specific dates for targetting sturgeon on the Croix?! Thanks-

StCroixer

October 15th Season Closes! Good Luck!!

I'll be out on the Flambeau and Chippewa trying to fill my tag and do some Muskie fishn! cool.gif