• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

AEREATOR QUESTION

BAIT956

Question

I have a Lund Mr. Pike 16 with two livewells. Each livewell has it's own pump and recirculator.

When I was out this afternoon, the front livewell motor would run, I could hear it, but no water would pump into the livewell. The rear livewell works fine.

I checked the pipes and entry hole. It was not blocked or covered up.

I turned it on every once in a while to see if it would work, but no luck. Am I going to burn out the motor by running it and not pumping water?

You guessed it, as I was going in, I tried it one more time and it worked, pumping up a storm.

What could have caused the problem?

I'm not down with poltergeists.

7 answers to this question

I have the same boat, and this has happend a few times. Sometimes it will clean up on its own as it did for you. I found a pebble in the impeller one other time that caused it to not pump.

I have had luck using this method - set the valve to "fill" and stick a garden hose in the drain until you get water coming in the fill hole in the well. Then unscrew the filler assembly in the well, and back flush the other way. This usually fixes the problem. After a couple of flushes, the front well has not given me any further problems. I think I may have had a bunch of sand between the intake and the pump.

Sometimes youll get an airbubble type of problem.try backing up fast and you can force water into the pumps.this seems to work for me.

Thanks Gissert, if it happens again, I'll give it a try.

Again, am I in danger of burning out the pump by running it with no water pumping?

Croixeyes, I tried backing up, thinking that this might solve the problem, but it did not.

Quote:

am I in danger of burning out the pump by running it with no water pumping?

I am pretty sure your answer is yes to this question... They are designed to use the water as a lube I believe... I could be way wrong on this... but this is what I have been told.

If the impeller is not spinning yes definitly you run the risk of burning out the motor. If the impeller is spinning and depending on what the bushing is made out of (brass or plastic) you have a little more time before you can hurt anything. I would think the water would have more of a cooling effect than a lube though especially if the bushing is plastic.

That's what I thought too SpecialK. I didn't want to run it too long not pumping.

Call me haunted. The pump worked fine today. No hint of any problem, but you can bet I'm listening and watching real closely now.

I'm guessing it was an air bubble problem as suggested and it just worked it's way out.

Thanks for all the ideas fellas.

Had a similar problem when I first got my ProV. Here is what I was told. The pumps themselves aren't designed to "pull" water to them (no priming) and then out to the livewells. They need water to them so they can pump to the livewells. I checked my supply hose that runs from the back of the boat to the pump and there was some extra hose that looped up some prior to going to the pump. I cut the hose and re-connected it to shorten it up some and make the hose as flat and direct to the pump as possilbe. This definately helped me out. This being said, I never try to fill my livewells while moving forward at all and actually if it acts up will put the motor in reverse and back up to aid in pushing water to the pump. Just an idea that worked for me.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.