Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Borch

It should start happening soon!

18 posts in this topic

The early fall bite should start any time now. Weeds are already starting to lay down a bit and water temps have cooled a few degrees. That all leads to that fall feeding binge that all fish(walleye, bass, pike, musky, panfish) participate in in one way or another. Anyone planning on being on the water this fall? I know I will. It's my favorite time of year to get out even with hunting going on.

BTW,

It's a great time to be a shore fisherman as well. laugh.gif

So what's your plan of attack?

For me it's pulling cranks at night over remaining weedbeds or rock for eyes, muskies and bass. Otherwise I'll do the same during daylight or work a big redtail anchored with a big jig deep.

I too am looking forward to getting out for that fall bite. I've been in a bad place since July and have not been having much luck. Looking to get on Sylvia and Pleasant here in the near future...

I like to throw the frogs into the pads and fish the edges of the reed beds with spinners and some cranks. An occasional spoon will sometimes get me a pike to mix things up. I primarily fish bass and panfish.

gonna try the river south of campus for some 'eyes in the evenings...

otherwise it is strictly waterfowling for me (with a little dove, pheasant, and squirrel thrown in for good measure)

SA

I usually do some jigging on the rocks in the evening and a trip or two to the big pond for some trolling will be in order for sure.Fall is a busy time of the year with all the hunting and great fishing going on.

My plan of attack is to wait by the phone for your call when the fish start biting! grin.gif

Later,

Corey Bechtold

I got my first pre-fall walleye tonight on the river!!! Full moon is a nice time for some after dark fishing. They like the big tube baits!! wink.gif

Corey, those rock bass are always biting up on the chain so you better get out there. smile.gif

I might try to get on the chain one more time in September, but once October rolls around the shotgun takes priority.

Fall does get really busy. I don't get much sleep then. Often fishing in the evening and duck hunting in the morning with an afternoon nap thrown in. Fall, especially late fall is trophy time! The big fish are on the feed and will weigh much heavier for their length during the fall than other times of the year.

All that and no bugs! laugh.gif

Summer has been a bust for me with a lot of crud going on. So you can bet I'll be out every chance I get this fall.

Borch,

I am hitting the pond more this fall and maybe a run to Koronis or Alexander thrown in if the conditions are right. The eyes moved into the shallows in Grand Rapids on Pokegama but we are done up there for the season. So they should be moving down here/Mille Lacs about now also. I love fall fishing! Cranks and Big fish...YES! Drop me an email if you have any news, I will do the same.

Quote:

My plan of attack is to wait by the phone for your call when the fish start biting!
grin.gif

Later,

Corey Bechtold

I'll call you soon. The bite should really get hot within a couple weeks.

Well I made it out last night. Bite was not hot but was consistent even after a pretty significant front going through early Friday morning. Had a problem catching keepable walleyes on a central MN lake. The walleyes ran large. Kept 4 between 18 - 20.5" for a meal with the family. Threw back 6 eyes between 21.5 - 27". Also caught a dozen pike that night with the biggest being around 10 lbs. All caught on crankbaits in less than 8 ft of water. Water temps ran 65-68 degrees and the weeds have really died down.

It's happening! laugh.gif

Ahhh!!! I love fall fishing!!! Walleye, walleye, walleye!!!

Well my brother and I made it out Sunday afternoon. Ended up keeping 6 walleyes with a couple little guys tossed back and one 21" tossed back. Most were caught on cranks. But if a person did some livebait rigging or jigging they would have likely caught more with the fish stacked up in several spots in 15-23 fow. Also caught some bass, pike and sunfish.

Weather was nasty but we pretty much had the lake to ourselves. Maybe 4-5 boats on the entire lake.

Gotta love the fall. laugh.gif

Except I always find that I run out of time to fish and hunt mad.gif Since I'm not planning on taking anything without antlers this year, maybe I'll find myself on the lake more this fall!

YES, it is definetly time to start thinking fall fishing, me and a bud were above stc dam, pulling cranks and live bait rigs w/ minnows.( the rigs were alittle slow), we ended up putting 10 fish in the boat in about 3 hours, i happend to be using a emerald green tail dancer, and my buddy was using a perch colored tail dancer, (perfered baits in my opinion!)we were running about 11-12 feet of water (up by the dead heads).

I found my fall shorefishing spot tonight. After seeing a walleye swim right past me, I switched from a firetiger rap that was getting nothing to a jig and minnow and got 2 17" eyes right away. It was just getting dark when I made the switch, I'm pretty sure I could've picked up a few more if I had been jigging the whole time. Now if they can just stay put for a bit!!! smile.gif

One thing to add. I was visited by a Game Warden twice today in two separate places. The second one told me that he had checked about 16 other people today and that half didn't have a license with them. No license in possession is a fine. Glad I always have mine in the tackle box.

Way to switch gears and get on fish. You definitely know they're there when you see them swim by. laugh.gif

Made it out again tonight my buddy got a 19.5 and a 19". I got a 17.5 and lost my biggest walleye ever. I wish she would have known that all I wanted was a picture and she'd be swimming again, but instead I'm gonna be back every night to try for her again. What a nice night though, in the past two weeks we have went from getting 15-16", to 17" a week ago, and now tonight we landed some 19" and missed one BIG one. Bigger ones moving in with the falling temps. Tonight it was jigs with crappie minnows dragged slooooowwwlyyyy across the rocks, not agressive at all.