• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Independence / Minnetonka

My father and I are planning a quick trip to the cities this weekend (9/9 - 9-11). I was wondering if anyone has had much luck on either Lake Independence or Lake Minnetonka. We have only fished these lakes once before a couple of years ago...any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chad

We are looking to catch some bass (small/large mouth), northerns, and some walleyes. Although any fish on the end of the line would be great...that is just what we enjoy catching.

if you are fishing for bass a lot are starting to move shallow with the temps dropping.

• 2 weeks later...

although it is too late, Tonka is definately the best for everything.

no doubt you will catch at least 10 bass in one evening

Well, sorry I didn't post sooner. My father and I stayed at Bakers Park Reserve in Maple Plain. It's a great place to stay and we had an amazing weekend of fishing. We didn't have much luck at Minnetonka at all. Just a couple of bass and a small northern. At Independence we had both caught the biggest bass that either of us had ever caught before. My father also caught a 6+ lb northern and on Sunday morning we landed at 43" Muskie. We arent sure what it weighed...but it had to be more than 20 lbs because our scale only went to 20. It was the best fishing we have ever had in the cities area. I will try to post some pics when I get a chance.

Thanks for all of your help/advice. The fish were all caught within the top 2 feet of the surface.

anyone know whether Indy will be accesible for ice fishing with the access being shut down? Plan on putting the permanent out again there this year

There is another access on the same side as Baker park, in that neighborhood next door. No parking, but I've used it in the winter before. How to get there? Um..North on 19 and go past Baker and take a left and its back there - sorry I know crappy directions.

What happened to Indy's access?

I drove by last night and it looked like it was still open. There are signs when you enter the park that say that it's closing in mid September. They are going to be doing some repairs or something on it. Not sure why they can't just close half of it and keep the other half open for use. A friend of mine talked to the park and they told him that it would be closed until next spring.

closed until spring? you mean that it will be harder for guys to drive their 20 foot ice house out on 4" of ice this year?

Actually ted I usually like to wait until theres at least 6 inches so I know its safe to drive on.

Question:

Did you release the Musky?

The DNR told me that they will close the access on Oct. 2nd and it will be closed till app. ice out!

They said that there were a lot of unhappy Walleye fishermen.

Ole cool.gif

We sure did...neither one of us are big into eating fish..just like to catch and release them. It was a blast... I don't know about the ramp...I am from Rochester and usually get up there about once a year