• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Should I persue it??

eyepatrol

Question

Okay, I know in other posts in other forums I've said that we're waiting until next spring to purchase a boat and I've discussed thoroughly on whether to get new, new non-current, used, model, etc. But today I came across a boat I feel might be just too good to pass on and would like some thoughts. First off, it's a used, 2004 Alumacraft Tournament Sport 175 with a '04 Yammi 150hp 4-stroke ("very very low hours"), Minnkota 65AP, Lowrance X51, Lowrance X125, 3 bank on-board charger, Shorelander trailer with swing tongue and spare, transom saver, 4 rod holders, travel cover, 4 seats, and stereo with cd player. That's what I know right now. The OBO price being asked is $18,500 (previously listed at $20K).

What do you guys think? Pending a review of the rig, but if it's problem free, would this be a great deal? Seems as though it would be to me.

I would offer $17,500 and bicker from there. I picked up my 04 Lund Exlorer SS 1700 with a 115 yamaha 4 stroke, bow mount, 2 GPs graphs and 1 graph, radio, 2 mag 10 downriggers, trolling mast, pursuit tracks, 8 ram flush mounts, marine band with 8' antanna, galvanized trailer, cover, 3 props, transom saver, drift sock and 2 rods for $15,000. I think you should be able to get the price down to at least what I listed above.

Thats a nice boat I have a friend with the same boat and its great to fish out of. You will love that Yamaha!

I'd agree with you there Northlander. If you got all that for $15k, then this rig shouldn't be all that much more, espcially with it being rigged with much less equipment. Plus, the seller by dropping the price $1500 in the last month, is probably really wanting to get rid of it, so that may be a positive too. This rig fits right in with the various rigs that we've been looking at. Although it's not that family fishing type with jump seats and all the ski stuff, I think it will do just fine. Talked to my wife briefly about it too and she seems very interested. grin.gif

Thanks for the reply.

btw....how's that Yammi treatin' ya so far? Like it? I've never owned a Yamaha motor, so I'm going on "blind faith" here. smirk.gif

I'd give a really low-ball offer(around $12,500) and go from there...you just never know how bad a person needs some cash or maybe he doesn't want the hassle of storing it! wink.gif

Ya gotta be a little careful about such things. A guy did that to my cousin when he kinda sorta had to sell his Lund 1700 Fisherman.

The guy came to look at the boat, lowballed my cousin, and basically got thrown off the property. The very next guy came and paid the asking price because it was a good deal. A deal BTW, which I am still kicking myself for not jumping on.

Yeah, I'm gonna call the guy on the phone and ask him some questions, but I won't go quite that low. I'll ask him if there's room to negotiate, but if not, I still feel it's a good price comparatively.

Well, you can "low ball" an offer without "low-balling" an offer.

Example:

"Yeah, this is in the area of what we have been looking at, though I didn't really expect to go much bigger then a 115 horse...The boat is the right size for my family, but then again, I have never owned a Yamaha myself. I'd like to be able to pull the trigger, but $17,500 isn't in my budget (this is where you either blame the wife, or talk about the impending deals coming this fall that will make his boat tougher to sell)" and he will then ask what your range is.

Or, you could be real honest.

"If you'd do it for $16,000, I'd cash out right now, but I'd hate to see a better deal come along down the road"

"It's a nice rig, I'd love to own it....I wonder what the 07's will be like..?..?"

At any rate, a 150 Yammi 4 stroke is worth some bucks in itself...But you dont have much warranty since it's an 04 and the warranty was/is 2 years.

Nice rig. I am just leary about used stuff.

Ask him to take off the prop, and the look at the splines. Rounded corners? Excessive shavings?

Well, I just talked to the gentleman this evening and got some info from him. Apparently he's only had the rig out once this year because he hasn't had time to get out on the water with the construction work he does. And it sounds like he hasn't gotten out much since buying it. He's never had problems with anything except that he had a bad battery go out on him. He replaced it within a month of buying the rig and hasn't had any problems since. All Interstate batteries. No scratches or dents except for a few small "dings" in the skeg. Okay, here's my incompetance....what is/where is the skeg??? He had one offer already for $17,500 and turned it down. He said he wants to stay close to his sale price, so I said $18K and he said we may be able to work that out....he'd consider it. It has hydraulic steering. No surge breaks on the trailer. Other than that, everything is in top shape according to him. He seemed pretty straight forward and honest and I'd tend to believe him from a first impression point of view. My wife might be coming on board with this boat as it is $3,600 less than any other boat I've found out there that would interest us. So, we'll see how it goes.

Hydraulic steering would be my point of sale, you will not regret you bought it, and add on from dealer is 2 grands....

BC,

The skeg is that area of the motor underneath the prop. It guards your prop and also acts as a sort of rudder when turning at high speeds. Trust me...it's important laugh.gif

The boat that your looking at is a bit bigger than mine and that 150 yamaha and steering is a big plus. I still think the $17,500 is as high as I would go.

If it is what you would like and you can get your wife on board with you it may be a good idea to go for it. It sounds like a nice rig to me. The extra $500 might buy some happiness and peace of mind. I think you want to get it over with, smile.gif

Valv -

I hear ya. I had hydraulic steering on my previous boat and it was a very nice feature to have, compared to my previous driving experiences with my dad's boat.

Ahhh...thanks Paul! Definitely important to have that part on there. I never knew what it was called, but I know my dad snapped a good portion of his off once years ago.

Thanks for clarifying that.

It would have been nice if he would lower the price to that, but he's made it pretty clear he won't go for it. Still, if we can get it for $18 (and my wife agrees to it), we'll be spending much much less money on a rig we both like than what we thought we'd be spending. At this point, the extra $500 doesn't bother me too much. smirk.gif

Quote:

I think you want to get it over with,

You thought right COSD. I'm at a point right now where, if my wife decides against getting this boat, I'm flat out dropping the whole idea until next year. No more research, no more questions, posts, etc. I've looked long and hard and this is the best deal on a boat we both like that I could find. If it doesn't pan out, I'm taking a boat researching/buying vacation! tongue.gif

Oh, and one more thing....PJ if you read this, 25k or less is what we're able to afford. Just wouldn't be right getting a rig like yours for that amount...I'd feel like a thief. smirk.gif

That seems like a high price. No matter if you use the boat or not the boat value itself should be a bit lower.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Price is good for the boat but not great.

This time of the year you should be able to get some good deals from dealers or privates, seems to me the seller is not very motivated to sell, and he definitely is not in need of money. It's good that you think over it, so you don't make irrational choices. You can try to shop around a little longer, but if you are sure of your choice, go ahead and get it, but remember to don't look back.

What Val says!

Emphasis on not looking back. That does go both ways, you decide not to buy it and you could end up finding the deal of a lifetime, with another boat...or it could go the other way, and find yourself spending more, getting less.

This is a major purchase and should not be taken lightly, you have done your homework, you know what you are looking for.

I hope that it works out for you and the family.

Keep us posted!

NADA has the high retail for this package @ $24,375 and the low retail @ $21,495. Generally NADA retail is 10-20% high from a private sale. I'd say $18,000 is a good deal if it's got the hours he claims and is in pristine shape. The 150 and hydraulic steering definitley bumps the price a little bit. Plus a good point was made in the sales tax savings buying private vs. a dealer. Go for it! Get yourself in a boat! You still have some of the best fishing of the year coming up...

Good Luck!

Ken

I was thinking it was a good deal also, but if it's not a great deal, maybe it would be prudent of me to simply send out e-mails to other private sellers that have boats we're interested in, and see if they'll go lower than what this boat is being offered at. With the other private sales out there that are listing their rigs in the lower $20k's, I'd be quite surprised if they would drop for example $5500 to $17,500 if they're asking for $23,000. All they can say is no though, right? smirk.gif (and then put me on their sh!# list) smirk.gif

My logic to this deal is as follows:

1. If you really want this rig then you should go for it.

2. A superdeal would be 17K or less. But, you're not going to get it for that because the guy won't sell. But, the guy is will to sell for 18K so you're down to a decision about $1000. My question would be is the boat worth $1000 because you end your search and you get what appears to be a pretty good deal. Best of all you get to quit shopping and go fishing.

Having spent most of my business career negotiating deals, the best deals are "Win" "Win" deals, when both parties feel like they made a good deal. I think it is time to make a decision, either do the deal or move on. If you press the seller you probably won't own this boat. He met you half way. Don't expect anything more. He probably feels like a winner at this price, and you should as well. He does not have to sell to you. Either you like the boat or don't.

I'm not gonna tell you what you should do, but I will tell you what I have learned. If it is what you want at the price you want to pay, jump on it or someone else will be fishing out of it. I watched my dad do this time after time on used cars. He would bug the salesman and bug him for weeks and then he would decide to buy the car and it would be gone. My brother was looking at an Evinrude Intruder 150 with 10 hrs on it years ago and decided to wait until the weekend to look at it. Gone on Tuesday. You don't want to be an impulse buyer but sometimes you can miss a good deal too.

Being I was in a similar position last year when I was working on selling my boat, I completely understand what you're saying BB. He wasn't comfortable going down to $17.5k but would consider $18k. Last year I tried to sell my rig for $15k and ended up selling for $14.5k, but refused lower offers. I was happy, the buyer was happy, like you say, it's a win-win. Similar situation here.

I'd like to jump all over it, but my other half is really hesitant about doing so. She likes the price and boat, but she's not a big fan of the timing. We did talk about it for a while last night, and I'll bring it up to her one more time tomorrow to see what she says. But I know exactly what you mean COSD. Earlier this summer we were looking into a crew cab truck. I found a GMC with quadrasteer (something I had always wanted). Told the dealer on a Saturday that we'd be there the next weekend to look at it and likely buy it. Called him the Thursday before, and it was sold on Monday. Ended up getting a different crew cab, but had more miles and was a couple grand more (and no quadrasteer). Second time I've had an interest in a truck and we've put it off for that extra week and then it's gone (not my choice either). smirk.gif Oh well, that's how it goes sometimes.

Basscatcher. This is getting really amusing I don't think that I've ever had as many laughs as reading the threads on this boat purchase. You must be a truly happy soul. If you ever get up to the Duluth Area, let me know, I would love to spend an afternoon with you popping a few bass or walleyes.

basscatcher...I feel for you...I know how bad you want that boat! (I was in your shoes 2 years ago)... But I also see the other halves point..?

She is thinking of 'back to school', and you are thinking of the October moon and fall fishing (best ever fishing) Hint, hint. This is normal.

Ok, is that just me? Don't let my wife see this...(I may be wrong about your wife's thinking...)

Quote:

the best deals are "Win" "Win" deals, when both parties feel like they made a good deal. I think it is time to make a decision, either do the deal or move on. If you press the seller you probably won't own this boat. He met you half way. Don't expect anything more. He probably feels like a winner at this price, and you should as well. He does not have to sell to you. Either you like the boat or don't.

Well said....

And remember this: A once in a lifetime deal only comes arounds every two weeks.....