Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MuskyRookie

Carpet replacement

6 posts in this topic

My 16 ft 93 Northwood is still in great shape but the carpet is pretty well shot. It is literally falling apart in some areas. Does anyone have any recommendations for where I can get this replaced in the Twin Cities metro area?

I don't have a large budget but am willing to assist someone who knows what they are doing to save some money.

We have always done it ourselves, so can't help with a place. But what I can offer is my opinion and my take on what to replace it with. I strongly suggest you consider vinyl instead of carpet, especially if you fish from the boat and not just cruise, which it seems you would.

We put Dot Deco Vinyl (do a search, Cabelas has it, and some online places have more colors than Cabelas) in our duck boat (also used for fishing) and I also put in on my rehabbed pontoon. It kicks butt smile.gif

Not slippery, easy to clean, dog hair blows right out (if you have dogs, I have two) and it looks good. About same price as premium carpeting. The only thing is you would need to replace deck at same time if you wanted it to lay flat and look the best, but a '93 boat would prolly need to have deck replaced if you are going to go through the effort of even doing carpeting.

Anyway, just some food for thought when you are replacing it.

Its more work getting the old carpeting off than it is to put new on. If th wood is shot, often times it will chip out when removing carpeting that is stuck on. If the wood is still good and you accidently rip a little chunk out.. fill the gap in the wood with bondo.

Installing carpeting is about as easy as cutting the pieces out to size(slightly oversized), using the correct trawl(labeled on adhesive container) to spead out high quality outdoor adhesive, rolling something across the carpet to be sure the air bubbles are out and its tight, then pull the carpeting over the edges as tight as possible and staple it on the back side.

Before carpet is payed you need to be sure to have all of the old glue off.. it will take some scraping or sanding to get a nice working surface. The better the surface preparation, the better the outcome will be, and the better the adhesive will stick.

I live in Minneapolis.. if you need help laying carpet, send me an email... the elbow grease for removing the old stuff is up to you.

fisherdave at mn^rr^c0m

Hey ThatGuy,

I never heard back from you on the rod locker and livewell. Figure you found something else or didn't want it. Either way, hope your rehabbing the boat turned out well.

box.. I lost your contact info

The boat never got overhauled.. got busy with family health and a kid on the way surprise. I could still use the stuff immediately.

Hope the health and baby are doing okay!

Shoot me an email at chris at boxmeyers . com