Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
uffda fishing

spring turkey hunting

5 posts in this topic

How does a guy go about finding a place to hunt spring turkeys in SE MN? I've hunted before but have heard there are a allot more turkeys down there.

Thanks for any help.

What area are you looking to apply in ? I hunt 344 and never have a problem locating toms during the spring hunt,sometimes accuracy has been a problem but its not always about filling the freezer I figure.

hey great news. i just read in this years hunting regs that you can hunt gobblers in the spring until sunset. Wow that will be great. No more just going out and putting them to bed you could wack one out of the tree if you wanted to however not sure how ethical it is but hunting til sunset will bring a whole new dynamic to spring turkey hunting. ike

Uffda:

Make sure and go to Hunting-->Pheasant-Turkey_Grouse-Dove. We talk turkeys, esp. spring turkeys quite a bit in this forum. There are several seasoned turkey hunters that frequent this forum who'll be able to help you with all your questions.

As for hunting land, there's a host of public and private land. Like anything, you get out of it what you put in, and the bigger tracts of prime private land are harder to secure, but more worthwhile in terms of birds and pressure IMO. Windshield scouting in late winter is a favored technique by many, but looking over aerial photos is my preferred method. I specifically look for those areas that are:

-difficult to access

-have good habitat (high ridges with burr/white oak, maple, and or basswood roost trees - feeding/dusting areas - etc.)

-are not within the viewshed of any road, esp. major roads

Put in your time looking and you'll be rewarded, good luck!

Joel

Ike:

I would offer that smacking one off the roost is highly unethical, and illegal in many states. At the same time, if you've ever tried to get near a roost tree in the morning undetected to hunt them, you know it can be a difficult task with any daylight.

This new regulation has many positives, esp. making the hunt more available to those who have to work days. However, it has some downsides as well, primarily the extra pressure it puts on the resource, and the greater chance of having hunters take birds at the roost tree.

I kind of liked the noon quitting time so I could take a nap smile.gif

Joel