Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
USPENAMC

Hastings/whitewater area I got bit by a SNAKE

6 posts in this topic

well my boot got bit by a snake it was like dark gray with white or black brown with white i was walking down and all of a sudden i see something move quick i thougth it was a pheaseant thinking i might have stepped on it i stepped back and the snake striked it was about 3 feet long i stepped back and it was curled ready to strike and it was doing this HIZZING SOUND it almost sounded like a cat when its mad. it kind of looked like a rattler except it had no rattler are there supposed to be snakes in the hastings area its a wma that is right next to residential area you park on the street and walk in. i never knew there were snakes out here. i did see 3 people put on some garters and in my mind i was kind of laughing until this its crazy...anyone know what type of snake

Well, 20 years ago, I would have said if you are north of Wabasha no rattlers. But, seeing how far north opossoms have moved in 20 years. I also remember reading someplace about rattlesnake now being found in Dakota County?

There are lots of snakes scattered around SE MN, some of them bearing a striking resemblance to rattlesnakes both in coloration and behavior. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery; part of natures built in survival/defense mechanism. Some that come to mind are fox, bull and eastern hognose snakes. Saw some of these occasionally when I was a lad fishing and hunting along the banks of rivers & streams such as the Root, Bear Creek, Deer Creek and the Spring Valley Creek. A relatively decent website that details MN snakes w/photos is located at: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/reptiles_amphibians/snakes/index.html

Hope this helps you ID your biter. grin.gif

Sounds very much like you encountered a fox snake. About the same size and simular in appearance to a rattle snake they are ofter confused. They make a very loud hissing noise when threatened.

Though the fox snake looks like a rattler they are not deadly to people, however they make the TP come out in a hurry.

Yes there are snakes in Hastings / Dakota County. smile.gif

It does sound like a Fox Snake that you encountered. There are others in the area. I have seen Fox, Bull, Garter, and Timber Rattlers in the area you were in. The rattlers are typically closer to the river but don't let that fool you. That WMA is pretty close to the river, it's just down the coolie a bit. None of them will kill ya unless your allergic but its a good idea to give them there own space.

i was wondering why after the encounter i smelled a foul odor....it was time to change the drawers...