Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
USPENAMC

Hastings/whitewater area I got bit by a SNAKE

6 posts in this topic

well my boot got bit by a snake it was like dark gray with white or black brown with white i was walking down and all of a sudden i see something move quick i thougth it was a pheaseant thinking i might have stepped on it i stepped back and the snake striked it was about 3 feet long i stepped back and it was curled ready to strike and it was doing this HIZZING SOUND it almost sounded like a cat when its mad. it kind of looked like a rattler except it had no rattler are there supposed to be snakes in the hastings area its a wma that is right next to residential area you park on the street and walk in. i never knew there were snakes out here. i did see 3 people put on some garters and in my mind i was kind of laughing until this its crazy...anyone know what type of snake

Well, 20 years ago, I would have said if you are north of Wabasha no rattlers. But, seeing how far north opossoms have moved in 20 years. I also remember reading someplace about rattlesnake now being found in Dakota County?

There are lots of snakes scattered around SE MN, some of them bearing a striking resemblance to rattlesnakes both in coloration and behavior. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery; part of natures built in survival/defense mechanism. Some that come to mind are fox, bull and eastern hognose snakes. Saw some of these occasionally when I was a lad fishing and hunting along the banks of rivers & streams such as the Root, Bear Creek, Deer Creek and the Spring Valley Creek. A relatively decent website that details MN snakes w/photos is located at: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/reptiles_amphibians/snakes/index.html

Hope this helps you ID your biter. grin.gif

Sounds very much like you encountered a fox snake. About the same size and simular in appearance to a rattle snake they are ofter confused. They make a very loud hissing noise when threatened.

Though the fox snake looks like a rattler they are not deadly to people, however they make the TP come out in a hurry.

Yes there are snakes in Hastings / Dakota County. smile.gif

It does sound like a Fox Snake that you encountered. There are others in the area. I have seen Fox, Bull, Garter, and Timber Rattlers in the area you were in. The rattlers are typically closer to the river but don't let that fool you. That WMA is pretty close to the river, it's just down the coolie a bit. None of them will kill ya unless your allergic but its a good idea to give them there own space.

i was wondering why after the encounter i smelled a foul odor....it was time to change the drawers...

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Agronomist_at_IA

Posted

• CigarGuy

Posted

I got 4 nice ones last Friday in about 8' to 9' of water in a channel off Wakemup Bay .  It was the last hour of daylight.  Tried a couple times during the day Saturday and right before dark and struck out.

• 11 hours ago, BringAnExtension said:

Zach-

I have been making annual ice fishing trips with friends for about 12 years ago.  We have tried LOTW, Mille Lacs, Red and one other lake that happened to be where we could use a free cabin for a weekend.  With that one exception for the free cabin, we have also rented sleepers.

We have never made it to Devils Lake, but it is on my personal bucket list just because of the possibility of those monster perch.

Six years ago, we ended up back on Red and no longer consider any other option.  Here's why:

• This fishing is good.
      • The Petrowske family are wonderful hosts.
      • No other resort that we have used has come close to being wonderful hosts.  They just didn't put any effort into it.

Now, I don't know how that you translate to your running portables, but I have never been disappointed with our trips to URL.

Hope that helps.

You should definitely try Devils lake I went 3 years ago and had a blast. Not only did we get put on a good perch bite but they put us on an Insane walleye bite the guy said it was about an hour window from when the sun starting setting and boy was he right in that hour I caught walleye after walleye after walleye. As soon as I would start reeling one up another mark would take its place on my graph and I couldn't get my lure down fast enough.

I am sure Johnny P is all booked up on weekends by now and for some reason some of the guys don't like sleeper houses all though I may push for it this year last year was such a hassle packing everything up for the night loading the trucks having to bring sleds and wheelers. I much rather bring my flasher couple rods and lots of beer. I go fishing enough running and gunning its nice to have a break where you just show up and fish.

I usually go to red 3-4 times a year and last year we did go to red for our work trip as well. Just weighing the options.

Has anyone ever rented house from Arties bait on big stone?

• DRAGFOOT

Posted

I don't know what to say, we crushed em jigging in 30 feet last Friday while getting knocked around in the waves. Anchored up and never moved. Lots of boats on the river already then and not good reports at that point. I was going to go back up for Saturday and if I did I would go straight out to 30 feet again. 

• delcecchi

Posted

Gee, think things might be rigged?  Got to be there in person to bid.  Maybe they would get a better price if bidding were on line?  Of course that would inhibit the buddy system.  Make it inconvenient to bid, get lower bids, make the in crowd happy. 

• yomammy

Posted

Anyone sniffing any fall-pattern crappies??   Have they found the way to the basin-areas or nearby the basin areas ?   Thanks 

• Thanks friends, much better luck today, but worked pretty hard. 30-35' rainbows kept two 15's and a 16. Dog will get her allotment of a 1/4 filet for her time on the boat and able to save some in the freezer for my family!!!

• Live to hunt another day by wearing a life jacket or float coat
      Hunters preparing to hit the water this fall in pursuit of ducks, geese and other wild game are reminded to include life jackets on their hunting gear checklist.
      “Hunters in Minnesota are trained from a young age to always put safety first. For duck and goose hunters, that means always wearing a life jacket on the water, no exceptions,” said Lt. Col. Greg Salo waterfowl-safetyof the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources Enforcement Division.

Each year, more waterfowl hunters die from drowning than from other types of hunting accidents. Swamping, capsizing and falling overboard are all common factors leading to these deaths, but in nearly all cases the hunter would have survived had they been wearing a life jacket.

“Before launching the duck boat, make sure everyone on board is wearing a life jacket or float coat,” Salo said. “It’s the one item that greatly increases your odds of surviving a water emergency and living to hunt another day.”

The wide variety of comfortable, camouflage life jackets designed specifically for waterfowl hunting includes inflatable vest and belt-pack styles, insulated flotation jackets, and foam-filled shooting vests with quilted shoulders and shell loops.

“Typical foam-filled vests or float coats provide optimal insulation against cold air and the effects of hypothermia, but without question, the best life jacket for waterfowl hunting is the one you will actually wear,” said Lisa Dugan, DNR boating and water safety outreach coordinator. “Choosing a life jacket style that works for you, and wearing it every time you’re on the water, is not only a good choice – it could save your life.”

At the very least, all boats must carry one U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jacket for each passenger, and boats longer than 16 feet must also have a throwable flotation device immediately available. Children under 10 must wear a life jacket.

Other water safety tips for duck hunters include:

• Don’t overload the boat; take two trips if necessary.
      • If wearing hip boots or waders, learn how to float with them on.
      • Stay near shore and avoid crossing large expanses of open water, especially in bad weather.
      • Share your trip plans with someone and advise them to call for help if you don’t return on schedule.
      • Use a headlamp, spotlight or navigation lights to alert other boaters of presence in dark and/or foggy conditions.
      • Carry a cell phone or personal locator beacon in case of emergency.
      • Don’t drink and boat and don’t drink and hunt

Visit mndnr.gov/boatingsafety to download the DNR’s “Water Safety for Duck Hunters” brochure and to learn more about boating safety for hunters.

Discuss below - to view set the hook here.

• The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is seeking applications for grants to support off-highway vehicle (OHV) trail projects and new trail proposals.

Application forms for projects on existing trails are due to a Parks and Trails area supervisor’s office each year by Nov. 30. New trail proposals are accepted throughout the year.

First authorized in 1984, Minnesota’s OHV trails assistance program is a cost-share program intended to help develop and maintain trails for use by all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), off-highway motorcycles (OHMs) and off-road vehicles (ORVs).

Known as the OHV grant-in-aid (GIA) program, it helps to establish and maintain recreational trails at the initiative of clubs and other organizations, with the support and participation of local government sponsors.

Organizations can apply for GIA funds through counties, cities or townships. All aspects of OHV trail development and maintenance are eligible for funding, including project administration, site planning, trail improvements, land acquisition for trail development, and trail maintenance. Proposals with a focus on maintaining or improving existing trails and trail systems will be assigned a higher priority.

Program and application information is www.dnr.state.mn.us/grants/recreation/gia_ohv.html
      or by contacting the DNR Information Center at info.dnr@state.mn.us or 651-296-615, or 888-646-6367 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
                                                                                                     -30-

• The Department of Natural Resources will sell 40 northern Minnesota parcels in three public oral bid auctions in October and November.

• Tuesday, Oct. 25 – Nine northwestern Minnesota parcels will be auctioned at the County Administration Building in Bemidji.
      • Thursday, Oct. 27 – 27 northeastern Minnesota parcels will be auctioned at the Lake County Courthouse in Two Harbors.
      • Thursday, Nov. 3 – Four parcels in north-central Minnesota will be auctioned at DNR Brainerd area office.

The properties include unimproved recreational land and residential lakeshore parcels in Aitkin, Cass, Clearwater, Cook, Crow Wing, Hubbard, Itasca, Lake, and St. Louis counties. There is a wide range of sizes and land uses in this selection of sales, from a small 0.80 acre former water access site on Pine Lake in Clearwater County to a 200-acre recreational parcel in Breitung Township in northeastern St. Louis County.

The DNR regularly sells land which is no longer needed for its original conservation purpose, after a thorough internal review, and after giving state agencies and local governments opportunities to purchase the land. Proceeds from sales of lands the DNR had once acquired go to the DNR division that had managed the land and are used to purchase and develop lands better suited to that division’s conservation goals.

Many of the parcels to be sold are School Trust lands. Proceeds from these auction sales are deposited to a fund that benefits the state’s public school system. School Trust land by law can only be sold at public auction.
      Bidders are advised to obtain and view the property data sheet, be familiar with the property, minimum bid price, and terms and conditions of sale prior to attending the auction.

To obtain a property data sheet or terms and conditions of sale call 651-259-5432, or 888-646-6367 or email landsale@dnr.state.mn.us. The property data sheets are also available online at www.dnr.state.mn.us/lands_minerals/landsale/.

• Agronomist_at_IA
      Wow 212 views no response?
    • CigarGuy
      I got 4 nice ones last Friday in about 8' to 9' of water in a channel off Wakemup Bay .  It was the last hour of daylight.  Tried a couple times during the day Saturday and right before dark and struck out.
    • ZachD
      You should definitely try Devils lake I went 3 years ago and had a blast. Not only did we get put on a good perch bite but they put us on an Insane walleye bite the guy said it was about an hour window from when the sun starting setting and boy was he right in that hour I caught walleye after walleye after walleye. As soon as I would start reeling one up another mark would take its place on my graph and I couldn't get my lure down fast enough. I am sure Johnny P is all booked up on weekends by now and for some reason some of the guys don't like sleeper houses all though I may push for it this year last year was such a hassle packing everything up for the night loading the trucks having to bring sleds and wheelers. I much rather bring my flasher couple rods and lots of beer. I go fishing enough running and gunning its nice to have a break where you just show up and fish.   I usually go to red 3-4 times a year and last year we did go to red for our work trip as well. Just weighing the options.   Has anyone ever rented house from Arties bait on big stone?
    • DRAGFOOT
      I don't know what to say, we crushed em jigging in 30 feet last Friday while getting knocked around in the waves. Anchored up and never moved. Lots of boats on the river already then and not good reports at that point. I was going to go back up for Saturday and if I did I would go straight out to 30 feet again. 
    • delcecchi
      Gee, think things might be rigged?  Got to be there in person to bid.  Maybe they would get a better price if bidding were on line?  Of course that would inhibit the buddy system.  Make it inconvenient to bid, get lower bids, make the in crowd happy.