Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ratdog

What line do you spool?

22 posts in this topic

I have all my reels lines for saltwater fishing and was wondering what you guys suggest for freswater. I'll mainly be fishing for smallies and largemouth.

I know some guys who prefer to use low lb test mono to give the fish a better chance and make the fight more fun. I use 20lb braided spiderwire because I'd rather catch them and since I started using it there's never been a need for a net. If you have an ultralight rod I suggest using 4-6lb mono for a great fight. I could go on and on raving about braided spiderwire. It has virtually no memory, meaning you will lose much less fish, even in the case of pike's teeth. You'll want to back your spool with mono because it has a tendency to slip without backing. My nephew snapped my unltralight in a window and since then I have not gone back to mono and fish mostly LM and SM.

Lots of people love the braided lines and I use the them but there are much cheaper options that will work. mono in the 10-12lb. range would work just fine for fishing in sparse cover and throwing cranks. If you want to fish in the thick slop or skip far under docks braid would be the better choics.

I have used powerpro which I think is similar to spider wire. I always tied a mono leader to the end though. Do you guys tie the braided line directly to the lure? What knot do you use?

I only use a palomar knot. I know some people who use a thick mono leader, but I do tie directly to the lure.

Mine are rigged with power pro. Not too many bite offs from northerns. Before I switched I used Trilene sensation in the 12 or 14 lb.for most applications. In heavy cover at least 20 lb. If you using light tackle I used 8 or 10 lb. test.

Up until a couple of weeks ago, I would only use 8lb Streb Extra Strength. But now that Fireline has its crystal version, that is all I use, again, 8lb, but after this weekend I will probably jump to 10.

I run either Gamma copolymer or braided PowerPro for most of my bass fishing. I've been really impressed with Gamma, and I'll be using it again in the future. Tough line, yet performs very well.

Well I keep it simple and use the larger mono-spools from Cabela's (4,6,8,10) for my ultra-lite to medium rods, medium-heavy and heavy rods have PowerPro or another braided line on them. Since many of my spinning reels have extra spools I will spool up a braided line (14lb test) when I want to lindy rig or bottom bounce. For my crankbait rod I use a 14lb braided line which matches nicely with the moderate action of the rod. On the Steelhead rods I was using pink Maxima but it just coils too easily (great color though for drifting) so I'm going to try the lime-green Iron Silk

I have started using Sufix this year and have been really really happy with it. For guys who love XL and XT this is a line u need to try. I use to use nothing but XL but know this sufix is nice and it smooth.... P-Line CXX is tough stuff, if u are looking for a line for dock fishing this is the line to use PERIOD!!!! Stren Super Braid is the only braid i use for slop fishing and flipping.

After several breaks with 8lb mono, I switched to 8lb Fireline this year. However, I noticed it doesn't cast as well (the line seems to stick to itself for the first cast or two). I've also spooled a spinning reel with the Fireline. Again, the line initially seems to stick to itself.

Has anyone else noticed this? Any solutions?

Thanks!

I'm with Matt Johnson on this one.. Gamma for mono and Power pro for braid... I too have been ultra impressed with Gamma since I found it at the Sport show this last winter.. i cant wait to try their ice line!

Fireline, Fireline, Fireline for the past several years.

I tried some Stren mono this winter - yuck. And I've heard a lot of praise for Power Pro so put it on one of my bass rods last summer. I must have received a bad batch. I broke off twice on the cast & twice on fish in the first two weeks & the line ended up spooled up in the garbage shortly thereafter.

I can drag my canoe to a snag with two-year old Fireline & not break off. I love the stuff!

I had the same problem with power pro. I was using the 15/4 stuff and I cast my dt10 out and the line kept going. I now have fireline on. I have been using fireline for trolling with good results too, no break offs yet.(knock on wood). I had also used stren power braid. This stuff is very tough too. I did have problems with knots in it though a couple times. Why is power pro usually 3-5 dollars less than fireline? I usually use trilene/sensation for jigging and cooler weather use.

I will have to put a vote in for Berkley Fireline. I tried the Power Pro once and didn't like it for 2 reasons. First was the noise it made while going through the guides. The other is I had similar problems with break off's for no reason.

Another reason I like to stay with the Berkley fishing lines is that their customer support is the best! One time I tried a new line they offered a while back and I didn't care for it. I called their customer service line and they replaced it with a different line for me. Super service!!!

Good luck,

Corey Bechtold

Sounds like a bunch of reps for Fireline. I use both, fireline is great for small stuff like under 15 lb fish. Power Pro is great for big Pike and Big Muskies. What are you fishing for and how bad do you want to lose a big fish? Besides, I've never had either one break even with a fish caught in the slop!

"reps for Fireline" LOL grin.gif

Just stating our love for a great product.

I use the old Whiplash line for Bass, Muskies and Pike. I bought a spool 3 years ago when they discontinued it. I haven't had to spool it on any of my reels lately because the old stuff is still holding up so well. When the day comes and my Whiplash is all gone I will look at the heavier Fireline XDS line or Spiderwire Fusion. You don't have to have small diameter lines all the time. 50lb test with 14lb diameter is great for baitcasters.

Good luck,

Corey Bechtold

Deitz,

Thanks for showing me Gamma at the sport show smile.gif I'm hooked!

i have a question regarding fireline. with the upgraded diameter to lb. test ratio that superlines give you does that mean that you could put 14 lb. test fireline on a medium-light reel that is designed for 6-10 lb. test because 14 lb. fireline is the equivalent diameter of 6 lb. mono?

I have some Berkley Vanish 20lb on a spare spool, Trilene XT 10lb on my medium-light rod, and Trilene XL 4lb on my ultra-light rod.

I've pretty much just stuck with Berkley because it's always served me well. cool.gif

Exactly bgreen82. If a person was trolling and wanted to get the bait down deeper than spooling with a smaller diameter line will help. If you are skipping docks and line diameter isn't as critical than you can go with a larger diameter line.

Good luck,

Corey Bechtold

Deitz introduced me to Gamma line as well this year. I have only used their 8lb. test thus far. However, that's a good test since my spinning rods see the most use in my boat. I have had no failures, no spool explosions, and the stuff stays very limp.

To quote Deitz on day we spent on the water earlier this year, "It's been a long time since I fished with a guy that used nothing but a spinning rod the whole day." I would say I have given Gamma line a pretty good workout. BTW - Dietz, I did use a baitcaster that day for about 5 minutes. grin.gif