Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
soldoncass

water levels

15 posts in this topic

Have heard "on another grapevine" that the water level is very low on cass. I am wondering if the same thing is true on all the lakes in the area, or only the ones affected by the dams ? How low are the smaller lakes? Coming up next Friday, and we are wondering how we will have to adjust our fishing plans because of the water levels? Thanks!

Water is low on all the lakes I fish, but the fishing has been excellent. If you have a large boat, some of the traditionally shallow launch ramps are getting a bit dicey, particularly if the wind is from the wrong direction. If I can launch a Ranger Fisherman by myself, you should be able to launch with a group.

Thanks, Otter

Our 14' Lund shouldn't be a problem then, if we decide to hit a smaller lake, because of exposed rocks or wind. It sounds like our favorite weedbeds may be kinda shallow though so we'll have to find deeper water or something. Walleyes probably aren't affected much, since they are off the drops anyway. Our pike and bass spots may be off though.

Can't wait to get up there again. grin.gif

You still might be able to fish your favorite weed beds, particulary if they are green and not too shallow. This past week I caught fish at 6, 10 and 15 on different days even though the weather wasn't that much different (all days were overcast and windy) so just keep looking until you find them. Some fish are still shallow, but it is transition time and many fish are starting to move deeper as fall approaches. Best numbers for me were still at 6-12, but the bigger fish were coming from deeper (15') water. Water is now down to low 70's and by the time you are up here the bite may be deeper than your favorite spots. Good luck.

My shallow daytime bite has pretty much disappeared. Best depth for me M-T-W has been 12-18' and I've started marking a lot of fish deeper. Forecast high for Thursday is 80. Forecast high for Friday is 65 with an overnight low of 41. Bring your long undies. grin.gif

sounds "refreshing" aaaahhhhh!

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. What bait is hot? I'm bringing crawlers and some leeches along. Thinking about buying some minnows up there. Are you using bait or cranks?

With the fish starting to drop deeper, I'm going with minnows. I only fish mornings, so don't know if the evening crankbait bite is still on. I trust Brian does.

9/8-9/10 report

Water is WAY down (2 feet). Tough to even get out of the harbor at Marclay point.They were still running flat out through the narrows, 1.6 ft of water, yikes. Anyway, had fun.

Got some decent eyes, and great jumbos. No pike or bass this trip for the first time we remember. Nothing in our favorite weedbeds, water temps at 67.7 degrees. winds from the EAST, or NORTHEAST the whole time restricted our fishing areas some. Stayed warm enough(I never put a jacket on) with a flannel shirt, however my daughter-in-law gets cold easily, so had snow pants, sweatshirts, etc. on. I've been much colder some other years the 3rd week of Sept, so this cool snap was NOTHING!!! ha

We had a great time. Got to relax. Now when can we go again? hmmmmmm grin.gif

I hope they don't drain it dry this fall. frown.gif

We're heading up the third week in October. It's always low then due to national forest person opening all the gates in the fall. Gotta leave some water so a person can use the ramp or harbor.

Borch,

I am coming up the 20th are you still going to be there??? If so you can roll over to the west side for a beer. wink.gif

We'll be up there Oct. 18-22 and will be staying at the Cass Lake lodge in their big cabin down by the lake.

I'll try to shoot you an email before we head up.

Borch,

I saw a picture of Cass Lake Lodge harbor on a different web site a week ago, and I am sorry to say I don't think ANY of their cabins are " by the lake right" now. There were 5 sheets of plywood to walk on just to get TO the docks. If you need that site let me know your e-mail and I'll send it your way.

Hey guys,

When you come up you may want to bring a canoe or paddle boat... This is the lowest I have ever seen Cass/Pike...

I think the HWY 2 access is still holding up but the ones at the resorts are all basically done... Sounds like we have some rain coming in this weeknd, lets hope for more than a tenth of an inch...

Beef

Send it to Jeffonthewater@aol.com. Lets hope for rain up that direction in the next month.

Hwy 2 rest stop was still deep enough for launching last week, but is something of a mess with the construction work. So many times rain has been forecast a few days down the line and never happened. Even when the rest of the north got rain, it seemed to go around us. Everyone is hoping for the best - we need some soon, desperately.