• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

chernobyl squirrel

EatSleepFish

saw it on the TV show WHATACATCH! on OLN. they were fishing for some weird salmon in russia. I was just wondering if anyone had a recipe for tying it. the browns would love it!

Tying The Chernobyl Squirrel Tail Nymph

Dave Whitlock's Squirrel Tail Nymph

Hook: Kamasan B175 Size 10

Thread: Black 6/0

Bead: 1/8" Gold

Tail: Red Fox Squirrel Tail

Body: 80 % Insect Green Hareline Dub Mixed with 20% Pearl Flash-a-bou Dub

Rib: Copper Wire

Legs: Grizzly Chartreuse tied Madam X Style

Front Hackle: Ruffled Grouse Body

Collar: Natural Fox Squirrel Dubbing

This is a little tricky to make since there is so much stuff on the hook. The key here is not to over do this fly. Begin by sliding a bead on the hook. Tie in the tail. Set length of the tail equal to the hook shank. Tie in rib. Dub 2/3 of the body with mix listed above. Make one or two turns of squirrel dub to form collar. Tie one leg to each side. Legs should flare evenly in an "X" pattern away from the sides. Dub between the split legs or down the crotch of the "X". Tie in grouse hackle and make 2 wraps. Tie off and whip finish. If the head is to crowded, make jiggle wraps to put the thread down between the grouse hackle. ( A jiggle wrap is where you move the thread side to side to snug the thread between fibers.) If you like leave the grouse off or the legs off.

You can also do a Google search for pictures.

Must have been fishing for Taimen

th_Taimenon2.jpg

here's me playing one I hooked on a #24 female Trico spinner last July wink.gif