Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Walli1

Should fishing be a secret or should you share info

5 posts in this topic

I grow up with several fishing freaks I guess their brothers but there addicts, their always eager to share information but only one of my four brothers would ever tell you where the fish a biting because he believes knowledge catches fish not the spot. I think life is tough enough and if by some chance the time spent on the water can produce better results, better memories, I'm all for that. " Man can learn a lot from fishing- when the fish are bitting, no problem in the world is big enough to remember." Oa Battistaa

Hey Walli1, have you ever concidered taking a newbie out and showing a few tricks of the trade? I've fished my whole life, but just got my first boat this year. I'm pretty green to fishing out of a boat and would love to lear. Let me know. You can email me at s_e_hendricks@comcast.net

Walli 1if you find fish and want to share info thats fine .but say a freind says they are on a great bite and he owes you one but dont tell anyone until they are done it should be a secret.I am on one of those phenom bites now and a freinds son who is up from Iowa saw my van parked by road but couldnt see where I was in lake with boat.Last night his mom who owns local bait shop saw my fish and said son knew what lake I was on but not where on that lake.In all confidence I gave her the location and I know it will not go out to general public.I just hope he catches a lot of fish before going home after holiday.This is when I give out info,other time is after bite is over.Hope I am not being selfish ,but when dont you really want to catch more fish?

Its less than wise to share spot specific info on a busy internet site. Not so much for the regular users, but there are lots of people surfing for the *hot bite* and word travels fast.

There is nothing wrong with sharing with other folks that the fish are biting, what they are biting on, what depths you are fishing with productivity.. that can help a person out greatly, and wont put everyone on *your spot*. If the walleyes are biting for you in 15'-18' on spinner rigs/crawlers on a fast troll.. we would love to know that and the info would get used.. just leave out the spot/area specific information and if you include photos in a report, try to leave anything identifiable out of the background.

Had a very interesting conversation with a well known fisherman from Wis, We talked about several topics one being information given, He feels information sharing is a really good thing but you shouldn't give locations,but if you depended on success, such as guide service/ tournaments, you should keep a tight lip. I see his point on this matter but I'm comfortable sharing info wink.gif